1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunderbirds 40th Anniversary Complete Set £41.97 at Amazon

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Jordan, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Jordan

Jordan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the Thunderbiurds DVD prices go up and down like a yo-yo but Amazon currently have the Thunderbirds 40th Anniversary Complete Set for £41.97 which isn't a bad price :thumbsup:

2. Tiberius

Tiberius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Be aware that the transfer used in this set is the same one used on both previous releases (and was in my opinion pretty lousy).

On the plus side you also get a 20-track CD of Barry Gray's excellent music, and some postcards (although what you'd want these for I don't know...).

However the music is already available separately on two CDs for around £7.99 each, so if you've already got the earlier DVDs there's not much point in buying this set.

Request to Granada Ventures: PLEASE spend some bloody money and get this classic series remastered PROPERLY!

3. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not sure how much better a transfer you could get for a television show that is 40 years old. If you are a real fan (or old enough to remember it on Sunday lunchtimes) then this transfer is fine.

What is interesting to me (at http://www.fanderson.org.uk/news.html) is that there is a much better transfer of Space 1999 coming along. I can't believe that they want £80 but when it is down to £20 it may be worth a look

4. Tiberius

Tiberius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    That's what I might have thought before I saw UFO, Joe 90, or Capt. Scarlet. The transfers for those shows are nothing short of stunning. The Thunderbirds PQ by comparison is poor.

As Steve Roberts (of Dr. Who Restoration Team fame) recently commented on Roobarb's Forum:
    "They [the Thunderbirds transfers] look pretty acceptable in isolation, but when you see them alongside a new transfer you are appalled by their shortcomings! The sad thing is that given the right treatment, Thunderbirds could look every bit as good as the other series that were mentioned."