Thunder Force (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
That'll be a hard pass then. Thanks for very much taking one for the team Cas.

Last edited:
Reaction GIF

another unfunny offering from mcarthy, cant rememeber the last thing i seen her in that was even half decent,for me as soon as i see her name on something its an instant pass,do even the americans find her funny,

I love Melissa, but I think she's at her best when she's being foul-mouthed and filthy.

Her husband seems to be blanding her out and making her more mainstream, which makes them wealthier I suppose, but definitely affects her output.

There both pretty bland boring actresses what did you expect lol

Netflix love wasting subscribers $$$

watched about an hour and had to turn it off as pretty awful - sorry Cas but 4 is too kind

I love Melissa, but I think she's at her best when she's being foul-mouthed and filthy.

Her husband seems to be blanding her out and making her more mainstream, which makes them wealthier I suppose, but definitely affects her output.
Can You Ever Forgive Me was only a couple of years ago mate.

My suspicions were aroused by the amount of the film they were showing on the trailer. I had the feeling the were showing all the 'funny' bits.

I heard one commentator agree but only in the sense that it was funny to see her being foul-mouthed in the beginning because of the shock factor. The shock factor is gone now so what's left? Bridesmaids and Spy are said to be decent which suggests that if you give her a decent script, she can do a decent job. But Ghostbusters 2016, this and other vehicles show that her improvisation skills are limited.

My Mrs nearly peed herself laughing watching this.
I was watching football on my phone.
It’s been a wonderful 33 years but I think we’re finished...
Same here, she was laughing I was struggling to stay awake.

another unfunny offering from mcarthy, cant rememeber the last thing i seen her in that was even half decent,for me as soon as i see her name on something its an instant pass,do even the americans find her funny,
The Nines and St Vincent for me.....

An absolute pile of drivel, 4 is generous score here. Avoid at all cost, 2 at most for me.
Expected from Melissa McCartney, but a complete waste of great actors in Octavia Spencer, Jason Bateman and Bobby Cannavale.

"...with some scenes and protracted improvisation riffs going on far too long - to the point of embarrassment"

This is the bane of comedies when using improv comedians, where the filmmakers are so in awe of their abilities to riff that they lose storytelling perspective. Such sequences might be hilariously funny on the set as they are happening, but they can kill a scene - not to mention the pace of the movie - stone dead.

It's like a shop-owner having his establishment smashed up by thieves, and the merchant being utterly in awe of the incredible way they wield the baseball bats.

Last edited:
"...with some scenes and protracted improvisation riffs going on far too long - to the point of embarrassment"

This is the bane of comedies when using improv comedians, where the filmmakers are so in awe of their abilities to riff that they lose storytelling perspective. Such sequences might be hilariously funny on the set as they are happening, but they can kill a scene - not to mention the pace of the movie - stone dead.

It's like a shop-owner having his establishment smashed up by thieves, and the merchant being utterly in awe of the incredible way they wield the baseball bats.

Yes this "humour" is ruining movies. I put on Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar for the wife and it got switched off quickly as it was full of this protracted improv crap. At one point the two main characters played by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo come up with a made-up friend called "Trish" on the flight to Florida. They then invent a whole life story for this character and it goes on and on and on.. none of it remotely funny. I'm sure they were smug enough to think we'd be rolling in the aisles listening to their improvisational genius. Same goes for the 2016 Ghostbusters, the Critical Drinker has a video comparing a scene to the 1984 version and the 2016 version is full of protracted unfunny improv. In comparison the 1984 version has dialogue which is to the point, advances the plot and is actually funny.

"there is a tiny gap in the bloated genre"
appropriate genre name.

I watched this last weekend. I think Cas' review is pretty much spot on. There is a good idea here but the plot/script isn't good enough. Melissa McCarthy tries really hard to give the film life as if she knows she hasn't got much to work with. But she can't do enough to bring on the laughs and save the film. The 'middle aged women save the world' theme never really caught on and the jokes about 80s rock bands fell flat.

Octavia Spencer was clearly miscast. She didn't seem that into it except for when she was in her superhero outfit and ready for action, which is when she came to life.

Jason Bateman showed the most comic promise from the rest of the cast and seemed to be enjoying himself. Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprisingly effective baddie and Bobby Cannavale played the untrustworthy mayor role pretty well.

I found that the school scenes were the most interesting of all. May be a film with a kid scientist and her streetwise wisecracking bestie taking on high school and the world might have worked better! Well done to the teen actors! 5/10.

As someone with questionable movie taste who thoroughly enjoyed ghostbusters 2016, is this worth a punt or is it as bad as all you blokes have made out?

As someone with questionable movie taste who thoroughly enjoyed ghostbusters 2016, is this worth a punt or is it as bad as all you blokes have made out?

I'd read bad reviews but still watched it anyway. A lot of other people must have watched it as it was trending no. 1 on Sunday. It's watchable but your mind might wander at times.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom