• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thunder bug on DS Lite top screen?

pratty

Prominent Member
Well I noticed I had a thunder bug crawling around my DS Lite top screen a couple of weeks ago. Noticed it again today and it's not moving, I may have killed it when I tried to wipe it thinking it was a regular spec of dust. :confused:

Anyone had experience of this and know what course of action is best to take, if any?

Could it just be asleep, and will crawl away later?

What if it remains? Can I try flicking the screen to dislodge it? Suction cup maybe?

It's not the end of the world but I am a bit of a screen freak. I also spent ages tinkering with my DS fixing some other issues, and just as I thought I got it fixed perfect, this happens. :(

Miss Mandy

I can't offer any advice on this one, but I feel your pain. I have an absolute hatred of thunder bugs as they get into all sort of places they shouldn't be. I had the same problem on my original DS console, but I didn't bother trying to resolve it as I was about to upgrade to the lite anyway.
Hope you find a solution though.

pratty

Prominent Member
Thanks.

It still hasn't moved.

I actually had a spare top screen which I recently just gave to brother when I fixed his broken hinge. Might see if the bug bothers him and see if he'd swop, but I'd feel a bit mean asking.

It is only a spec, I probably should just live with it but my eyes are drawn to it and I am a bit of a perfectionist.

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
I have had success 'flicking' them before. Note that if the thrip has gotten into the actual LCD panel itself (they are normally a sealed unit), then even though you can flick it out of view, it is always possible for it to come back into view if shaken at the wrong angle.

You could also break the screen by flicking it I guess. If you had a tri-wing screwdriver and lots of patience, you could possibly take the console apart - but last time I did that with a DS Lite I tore the ribbon cable going to the screen - flicking might be safer :laugh:

pratty

Prominent Member
I have had success 'flicking' them before. Note that if the thrip has gotten into the actual LCD panel itself (they are normally a sealed unit), then even though you can flick it out of view, it is always possible for it to come back into view if shaken at the wrong angle.

You could also break the screen by flicking it I guess. If you had a tri-wing screwdriver and lots of patience, you could possibly take the console apart - but last time I did that with a DS Lite I tore the ribbon cable going to the screen - flicking might be safer :laugh:

I might give it until the morning until I pronounce the bug dead, and give it a good flicking (which a cloth over the screen).

I have quite a bit of experience with DS Lite repairs myself. I've taken them apart too many times to mention, and I know only too well what a long and fiddly process it is so I don't think I'll bother. To remove the bug I'd have to peel the glass from the LCD itself which would only allow more dust and that to get inside the screen. Plus as you say I could cause more damage.

I don't know how I became so anal about perfect screens though, as I say it's only a spec. When I had a second hand original gameboy as kid the screen was probably scratched and dirty, but I don't even remember, it probably didn't even register and certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment.

pratty

Prominent Member
Well, against my better judgement, I bit the bullet and opened up my DS and by some miracle managed to remove the dead thunderbug without breaking the system. :D But oh my God, was it fiddly and nerve racking at times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom