1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THUMP from front speakers!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by michael.redfern, Mar 4, 2005.

1. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    [edited to add a little more detail]

All,

I've recently been fannying round with amp setup and have made several changes. The basic setup is: -

Sony dvpns900
    Yamaha dsp-e800 (for all processing)
    Linn lk280/spark (for the front pair)
    2 x lk280 (one biamping centre, one for rear)

(before we even start, YES, I know I need to upgrade the e800 :) )

I used to have a Myryad integrated and power driving the front pair and recently changed to the 280/spark in a straight swap, tho obviously the front speakers are now single-, rather than bi-, amped.

Also in the change, I had to change the cable from the e800 from a VdH 103 to a custom phono to xlr which I made myself (and not a bad job either :rolleyes: )

Since changing over, I now get a "thump-pause-fizz" (I promise that's the exact noise!) from the front speakers whenever the e800 thinks that something changes that causes it to change its DSP. For example, a dvd playing changes from menu to movie (PL to DD maybe) or from dts intro into movie (all DTS, but with a slight pause that makes it drop into PL briefly) will cause it. Likewise changing input from dvd (PL default) to cd ("no effect" default) will cause it.

Could be one of several things, but I'm lost. I was at first thinking it was a problem with the new amp because it only comes out of the front pair, but why would it happen whenever the e800 does something? And that's what's making me think it's the e800. But, how would changing the amp affect the e800? Catch 22 situation I think. OK, it could be the cables too, but they seem to be fine).

Anyone got any ideas? :lease: It's driving me mad!

2. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Surely not? Have I? No one experienced this kind of thing before? :confused:

I've norrowed it down to being the processor now by swapping the amps round, but still can't find what's causing it.

I've had a slight thought that it might be because I have no speakers hooked up to the yamaha, and it's some kind electrical fault caused by that, but have never heard of this before.

So, come on, someone? Anyone? :lease:

3. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    michael

sounds like in the change-around, your Yamaha has developed a fault.
    Some of the processors I had used to click lots of relays when changing sound formats - some occasionally even outputted digital sound :eek:

Just a guess but... sounds like the auto-mute function your processor had has gone awol :thumbsdow

4. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    ...wouldn't that mean I'd get the pop out of all five speakers? Or do I take a guess that there's a separate muting circuit for the front pair to the others and the other one is fine? :confused:

5. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    possibly not all five speakers - depends whats broke......

Quite how much it would cost to fix is anyone's guess...

Not too sure of the vintage of your e800, but perhaps its trying to tell u something ;)

If its still working despite this annoying glitch, then I personally wouldn't bother (so long as it doesn't damage your speakers !!!) and would start putting the pennies away for a replacement.

6. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    After a little hunting, I just found this thread on Google Groups: -

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?h...12%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=yamaha+e800+mute&btnG=Search

The guy suggests that it's the gain in the E800 feeding the power amp, and to try relevelling the volumes. I'll try his solution when I get home and report back.

Hopefuly then, this is an anomaly as I'd hoped, rather than a permanent fault. Fingers crossed.

7. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Nearly :smashin: , but not quite :thumbsdow . It does reduce the sound a lot, but doesn't eliminate it. Looks like it might be something else at play here. :(

Will keep trying.