1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thumbs up to PC World (no, really)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by feet14, Jan 31, 2003.

1. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been maintaining my sisters' P2-400 system for the last few days (upgrading from WinMe to 98SE, repartitioning etc). During this time, the power supply failed. As I needed to have the pc up and running again by the weekend, I went down to PC World.

In the Component Centre section, they had a 300W PSU by a company called Jeantech which cost £25. When I installed it I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was compared to most psu's in this price range. I'd say it was quieter than my Enermax (in stock form). The fan is thermally controlled with a motherboard monitoring cable. It's also ATX 12V compatible.

They've also got some rather well-designed cases for around £30-40. There are also some special offers on software - I bought Partition Magic 8.0 for £30.

I don't usually shop at PC World (I use komplett and ebuyer mostly) but they are certainely worth considering for some things (not motherboards as they're older models and I'd always buy memory from Crucial).

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Their parts corner is very often very good. Just don't rely on the staff for advice.

3. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find them quite useful if you don't require the latest models. They sell a lot of stock in just brown cardboard packaging which is often much cheaper than the same product in the retail packaging. Its also very nice to be able to just pop down to one of their stores, pick up an item, and install it the same day.