Thumbs up for the Inland Revenue

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ian J, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Inland Revenue come in for a lot of stick so I thought it would be nice to say something positive about them.

Like most other self employed people my tax return was submitted right on the deadline which was last Friday but unlike most others mine was a rebate.

Imagine my surprise when looking at my bank account today to find that they paid it straight away as I was quite expecting to wait weeks if not months

2. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    ******* pirates

3 audits in 5 years, cost me a fortune in accountancy fee's every single time my accounts where correct

and now they want paying in advance so this year i have had to find 2 years tax, brilliant ...

enjoy my money Ian .... :mad:

3. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    Hmm i'm still waiting for last years rebate .Don't usually have a problem to be honest ,seem to be dragging there feet a bit this time .

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,005
    I've generally found them very good aswell although they messed up my father's tax return this year.

He's a pensioner but still works part time and has two pensions - a company pension and a state pension. This makes tax collection quite difficult because the hmrc process can only put the tax code against one income stream.

Fortunately my wife is a Chartered Accountant and she helps him complete it, but he is scared stiff of not paying his dues so won't let my wife take fall control of it.

This year he submitted his tax return in June 2008. He chased it through October, November, December and finally January as the hmrc hadn't returned the assessment. Each time they confirmed that they had received it and it would be processed soon.

Eventually it was received mid way through January. I say received, he didn't get the full assessment but a letter with the amount owed. The letter apologised that there wasn't sufficient time to produce the full assessment in time for the due date for payment. The tone of the letter suggested this was my dad's fault even though hmrc received his return 7 months earlier.

In fact when my wife looked at what they were asking for it seemed too much - they were asking for £900 and my wife was expecting around £450. However, because they hadn't received the full assessment there was no detili of how the hmrc had arrived at that number.

She had to spend the next few days speaking to the hmrc and eventually, hmrc admitted that they had made an incorrect assumption about future earnings and they were indeed asking for twice as much as needed.

Now all this scares my dad half to death. He is fortunate to have a Chartered Accountant to fight his battle - I only wonder what un-necessary stress the hmrc put some less fortunate people through.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    It's a tax rebate, i.e. his money that wasn't collected 6 years ago

6. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    they spent his money years ago, the money they just handed him was the money they just ripped out of my bleeding hands ..

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Plenty that worked at Woolies want to pay some tax ya know... :rolleyes:.

8. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    Well they recieved my student loan repayments for tax year 06/07, but they failed to pass that money onto the students loans company! :mad:

9. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    yep of course, but like most people i am selfish in my day to day microcosm, especially when i am writing giant cheques to the inland revenue ...

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    IF you don't want to write giant cheques to them, get a job like mine where you earn far less :D

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Get a better accountant then :D

I must admit that I haven't a clue what mine has done except that it's all legit as she is one of wretched people that doesn't even like it if you think about anything unethical in her presence.

12. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    nore me, mines exactly the same, the fact on 3 audits the IR found i had neither over or underpaid would imply to me he knows what hes doing, i hope :suicide: