Thumbs up for Lightroom 4.

Pete Delaney

I've only just purchased LR4 and have been using LR2 and 3 in the past. This is by far (in my opinion) the best of the bunch. Some of the algorithms have been markedly improved. Clarity, Sharpness and Noise Reduction are all working really well and a lack of halos in 'Clarity' is a fab improvement over previous versions.:smashin:

Best of all if you can get the education edition then it's at a new lower price (approx £60).

Delighted with it so I thought I'd share my findings. For me LR has become my major one stop processing tool and I find that I only use Photoshop CS for trivia like adding a watermark or frame....

Pete;)

=adrian=

LR4 is great. Be careful with the clarity slider in LR4 though. It works much better in Photoshop than in Lightroom for some reason.

Pete Delaney

Cheers adrian ... I have never used clarity in Photoshop... I'm not sure it's in CS4, I'll have to have a look:rolleyes: I've certainly never come across it.

Clarity in LR3 was fine but you couldn't push it without getting halos. In LR4 it can be pushed to the max if necessary. Although the image then loses a true photographic reproduction of the original scene it gains an almost HDR/Topaz quality that brings something else to the party.

If you are just looking for a small enhancement of a picture then you have to be delicate with it. But if like me you enjoy bringing filters or effects into play then it works well.

I'm really glad I splashed out on this... I didn't 'need' it but now I have it I appreciate just how much better it is over LR3. If I'm brutally honest I think LR2 is BETTER than LR3, which in my opinion, as an intended update, was a fail.....

=adrian=

LR4 is my first Lightroom TBH, so I can't compare it to any of the previous ones. I've always been a Photoshop user and done 100% of my editing in PS, but now I do only around 10% of editing in PS and about 90% in LR4. It's a great software.

The clarity slider I mentioned is in Adobe Camera Raw, which is a part of Photoshop. It is much more subtle in ACR than in LR, but I've not tested it in new CS6 PS (ACR) yet.

Pete Delaney

LR4 is my first Lightroom TBH, so I can't compare it to any of the previous ones. I've always been a Photoshop user and done 100% of my editing in PS, but now I do only around 10% of editing in PS and about 90% in LR4. It's a great software.

The clarity slider I mentioned is in Adobe Camera Raw, which is a part of Photoshop. It is much more subtle in ACR than in LR, but I've not tested it in new CS6 PS (ACR) yet.
Well if LR4 is your first then you timed your purchase to perfection... it really is very good and well worth getting to know very well. CS6 I'm sure will be equally terrific but I expect there's a lifetime of learning and regular practice required to use it to its best.

Great combo adrian... congrats...:smashin:

wongataa

The clarity control in ACR is identical to the one in Lightroom. All the RAW processing controls in ACR and Lightroom are indetical for matching versions (ACR 7.x and Lightroom 4 with process 2012, ACR 6.x and Lightroom 3 or Lightroom 4 with process 2010, ACR 5.x and Lightroom 2)

=adrian=

The clarity control in ACR is identical to the one in Lightroom. All the RAW processing controls in ACR and Lightroom are indetical for matching versions (ACR 7.x and Lightroom 4 with process 2012, ACR 6.x and Lightroom 3 or Lightroom 4 with process 2010, ACR 5.x and Lightroom 2)
Thanks for that. I have LR4 and PS CS5, so not matching versions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom