Thumbnails driving me mad

DistortionNat

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
Im running Windows 8.1 and Im having this problem where my thumbnails for images and not showing correctly.
More specifically, some of them show up fine, others not. And then when I switch to display large thumbnails none of them show up.
I have cleared the thumbnail cache using disk cleanup, checked to make sure that the folder options are set to show thumbnails, not icons.
This is driving me mad and Ive not got this issue on any of my other PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

Please help!!

Nat.

Ive attached a pic

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Try running this and reboot system after.

Urgh! I tried all the things in that post and they didn't work :(
When the computer is rebuilding the thumbs the ones that have not been working are white while the ones that work are invisible. (see the attached pic)

I REALLY dont want to have to do a reinstall of everything but my machine in very difficult to use without these thumbs working properly...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 35
Try this instead.

If that fails try turning off the thumbnail system, run disk clean up then turn the thumbnail system back on again.

There appear to be multiple systems related to thumbs and no clear explanation

* Hidden thumb.db files in each folder
* C:\Users\your user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer has a whole bunch of thumb.db files
* C:\Users\your user\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db is another

I don't normally recommend it but CCleaner has a clear image/thumbnail cache option it might do all the above which is what you need.

Go to windows system restore and try going back to a point from a few weeks ago if you have a saved restore point, that might undo whatever happened to cause it to break or at least undo some recent changes.

I don't have a point early enough.
Strange thing though, I've just checked my images on a networked machine and the same thumbnails are initially missing and then are drawn in. But going back to the original machine the thumbs are still missing. It has to be a corrupt windows issue. Im going to do a system refresh and then just reinstall everything. Sod it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom