Thule Roof Rack - Lock Picking - My stupidity is unparalleled - Help appreciated

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have used my roof rack with my bike mount yesterday and long story short (mainly to save my blushes) I lost the keys for both the roof rack and the bike mount.

Next problem - I cannot find the spare keys for either.

Next problem - I never took a note of my key numbers.

Yes, I know, no matter what you say I cannot feel any more stupid than I already do.

Anyone been this stupid and got any suggestions on what I can do to sort this out.
- I am thinking go to some place like Halfords and see if they have any keys I can try?
- Buy a lock picking set and try and pick the lock myself.
- contact some local locksmiths and see if they can help.

Absolutely gutted!

Is there not a number stamped on the barrel face ?

Probably a wave rake and a 40/1000th turner will work if watching the lockpickinglawyer has told me anything and if its a masterlock then just look at it and it will open faster than reaching for the keys anyway.

For the roof box there should be the number on the face of the barrel. You could try going to a dealer and trying keys until you find the right one. Failing that drill the lock out and order a new set from Thule. Same procedure for the bike rack. In both cases ring the manufacturer and they will guide you/point you to your nearest dealer who can deal with it. I would only drill out the barrels if you have to get into the box urgently.

Hi All,

I have used my roof rack with my bike mount yesterday and long story short (mainly to save my blushes) I lost the keys for both the roof rack and the bike mount.

Next problem - I cannot find the spare keys for either.

Next problem - I never took a note of my key numbers.

Yes, I know, no matter what you say I cannot feel any more stupid than I already do.

Anyone been this stupid and got any suggestions on what I can do to sort this out.
- I am thinking go to some place like Halfords and see if they have any keys I can try?
- Buy a lock picking set and try and pick the lock myself.
- contact some local locksmiths and see if they can help.

Absolutely gutted!
Hi,

It happens.

A rake, a couple of sized tension will tackle the rack/mount with patience-- might do it for you, saves damage, doesn't help with keys, those you will need to find or replace.

Honestly, find yourself a good locksmith, they will have both unlocked within 10 minutes and help source replacement keys, will save you agro and pain.

So I now have a number for Thule Customer service, could not find a way to phone them from their website or google searching, however went to Hlafords looking for keys and they could not help but they gave me the number so progress at least.

Cannot get through to speak to anyone but it is a start.

Contact a few locksmiths yesterday and a few turned me down. Managed to find one and they want to charge me £135 an hour to fix it. Which seems a bit extravagant, but maybe this is one of these painful lessons I have to learn about not being so stupid.

From watching the LPL I know there are leishi or some variant there of tools that can pick the lock and tell you the cuts needed so in theory you can work out the numbers and get a new set made but I doubt many places will take requests like that or have people trained that way.

I'd certainly change the cores as if you lost it locally some scrote may have picked them up and thought wonder if they fit and you wake up to find the bike has gone.

Lockpickinglawyer is very good, but that doesn't mean that the average fool who buys a lock-pick set off the internet is able to replicate the methods.

Managed to get this all sorted. Managed to get through to the Thule Customer Services and they gave me the list of UK dealers that have master keys and there was one up the road from my work so took a trip up there and for a small fee (£25) they got me both key numbers I needed or have now ordered the keys.

Managed to get this all sorted. Managed to get through to the Thule Customer Services and they gave me the list of UK dealers that have master keys and there was one up the road from my work so took a trip up there and for a small fee (£25) they got me both key numbers I needed or have now ordered the keys.
Hi @WeegyAVLover Any chance of getting that list of dealers with Master keys? I’ve gone something similarly stupid!

Last edited:
Lockpickinglawyer is very good, but that doesn't mean that the average fool who buys a lock-pick set off the internet is able to replicate the methods.
I can confirm this. I'd actually come to recommend having a look at LPL, but had been beaten to it, and I would have added what Badger said. He's been doing it since he was in school/college so he's got it down to an art. At least the OP is sorted.

@pgdrum & the rest of AVF I hope it is ok to post these details

1711454282598.png

Happy hunting....

There maybe more further South but the person I spoke to may have only sent me the ones closest to me (within reason).
If you phone Thule Customer services you never know they may have a list of ones that are closer to you.

Last edited:
edited the above post to remove the phone numbers.
I think posting phone numbers means these companies numbers could be used maliciously by anyone (non-AVF) who stumbles across the above post or this thread so I have reposted the pic with the numbers removed.
If you need the numbers you could do a web search for the numbers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom