1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Thudding" Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ian H, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Ian H

Ian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an Eltax active subwoofer and recently I've noticed that when a soundtrack reaches a quiet point or a section with lots of dialogue and no need for bass, the subwoofer "thumps". I'm assuming that the circuits are going into 'standby' or something of that nature but whenever they do so, I get one single thud, like somebody tapping a microphone - has anybody heard of that happening with a sub before? If so - is it in need of repair or could it be down to a flaky cable or something?

Any input gratefully received.

2. Ian H

Ian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll rephrase that last bit then:

Any USEFUL input gratefully received.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To stop anyone else doing it:

Useless advice - get rid of the Eltax and buy something better :D

Useful advice - I'm guessing it's got an auto on/off circuit inside, which is either poorly designed (sadly a possibility) or is malfunctioning, in which case you could either try to bypass it (not sure if this is possible) or get it repaired.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi

Does sound like its switching itself into standby. Has it got the option of leaving the power turned on all the time? If so, just leave it on. If not, then I don´t think theres much you can do about it I´m afraid.

5. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the Evolution 5.2 Power towers.....the click you refer to is indeed, in my experience the active subs powering off after a period of inactivity.

It is a touch annoying but it only seems to happen when the speakers are being driven at lower volume levels - for me later at night so as not to disturb neighbours! It also depends on the film being watched, obviously.

Hope this helps

Regards

Lippy

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were to buy a detached house then you could drive the speakers hard thus curing this annoying problem :D

7. Ian H

Ian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it hasn't got any real "tweaking" potential, it's a fairly simple sub with a "low pass frequency" setting and a volume setting.

8. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,
    You could try setting the sub output on the amp as high as possible and just turn the sub's own gain/volume down (this means the sub is receiving a slightly higher signal and may not turn itself off so often).
    Just a thought. :)

Paul.

9. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^
    |
    \_________ He speak the truth :D

I've also got an Eltax sub which auto offs (no thump, just a mild click).

But I've turned my sub output up to +10db (max) on the amp and turned the volume on the actual sub down a lot.

This way, the sub only turns off in really quiet films.

Cheers

Ian

10. Ian H

Ian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input folks - I'll try a few of those changes and see how I go.