1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throw ratio problem !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sjb, Nov 28, 2004.

1. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I bought an 8ft "Duet" multi format screen from Ellie a few months ago.
    However, I'm having to put the projector right at the back of the room in a high cupboard, so it is out of sight when not in use !

This means that the throw distance has increased to approx 7mtrs (23ft) giving a throw ratio of approx 2.9 : 1.

I was intending to go for a projector with 1280 x 720 resolution and HDMI or DVI inputs such as the Sim2 30H or maybe the HT300-E however, the throw ratios aren't suitable ( up to 2.4 : 1 ).

Have been advised that the lower res. 20H or HT280 would work ( up to 3.1 : 1 ) don't know about any other makes.

It seems my choices are :-

1/ Keep the 8ft screen and go for lower res. projector to get the throw ( unless anyone knows of a longer throw 1280 x 720 projector ).

2/ Sell the 8ft screen and get a 10ft or bigger screen ( not multi format ) and go for the 30H, HT300-E or similar projector.

My main concern is picture quality.

Which of the above options would be best.

Any recommendations much appreciated !

Stan.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stan

Your figures are spot on for the Sim2 projectors.

My personal feeling is you would be better going for the higher res projector as Hi Def sources are starting to appear.

At 23 feet the smallest image from a Sim2 HT300E or Domino 30H would be 9.58 ft wide and the largest would be 12.77 ft wide.

In our dem room on a 104 inch wide screen viewing from the THX recommended distance you cannot see any picture structure with the 1280 x 720 Sim2 projectors.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Could you ceiling mount the projector or possibly place it infront of you on a coffee table? This would keep your hi resolution and match your screen!

4. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jeff and Oakleyspatz for the replies.

Looked at the coffee table solution, believe it or not, the throw distance would be too short ! Also, want a more permanent position.

Ceiling mounting is an option, main reason for moving projector to back of room beside dvd, receiver etc... is so it's out of sight when not in use. Also, cabling will be neater.

I think I know someone that'll take the 8ft screen, pity, liked the multi format idea.

I'm in the process of buying Pioneer plasma, AX5Ai receiver and 3910 dvd from Joe Fernand . Think I'll let the bank balance recover from that and xmas, then see about projector and larger screen.

Thanks again,

Stan.