Throw issue with Benq W1070

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by bootgaz, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Peeps

Just building a new room at the back of the house and got my screen fixed up during the week. This was to test the screen position and also to see how far back I could have it in relation to the desk area going behind the screen.

Anyway tonight I thought I would fire up my fairly new projector and start to work out where I need to install it on the ceiling.

Now this is where I am experiencing real issues.

My screen is 100 inch and previously I had an optoma projector roughly about 2.5 meters away. The picture filled the entire screen and was perfect.

With my new Benq projector I can’t see to get the picture right.

The maximum distance I have from the screen to put the projector up is just over 3 meters. I have tried move it closer, currently on a stand, using the zoom function etc but still have problems.

I am either getting the picture way to big or too small where I have big black gaps at the top and bottom.

I have attached some pictures

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just had another quick measurement and the maximum distance I can go is 4 meters. I have also noticed that my projector screen has white lines going across it, I have tried to take a picture to demonstrate.

Attached Files:

3. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,904
    Hi mate, is your screen 16.9, or do you have the Ben Q set to 4.3 aspect ratio?

4. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have go through and tried all the different aspect ratios. I have uploaded a picture of my screen sizes.

Attached Files:

5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Looking at the pictures it appears to be a 4:3 ratio screen whereas the Benq is a 16:9 ratio projector, (As are most Home Cinema projectors) so the black bars are quite normal and the only way to fix it is to get a 16:9 ratio screen. (I suspect your previous projector had a 4:3 ratio hence you did not have any problems)

Also the pictures of the screen don’t seem to match the measurements you provide, so do you have the name and model number of the screen so we can check. (Same for your previous Optoma projector)

Bill

6. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Thanks for the information. I have attached a picture of my screen. It does say 16:9 in the description.

My previous projector was a Optoma HD65

Attached Files:

7. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Compare the screen shown in post 4 to that of what you've received in the pictures. It seems that it is intended to have a bar bar at the top after roll down to make it 16:9 whereas yours seems to be missing it, perhaps making it 4:3. Yet other pictures of simulated images are somewhat different.

Take measurements of the white screen area. Divide width by height and see what you get. 16:9 should come up about 1.78 whereas 4:3 will result in 1.3.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    'Thanks for the information. I have attached a picture of my screen. It does say 16:9 in the description.' - it looks like someone shipped you the wrong screen or the box has been mislabeled.

Joe

9. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again, I can pull down the projector screen further which does then give me a large black bar at the top but I never previously pulled it down that far because the picture can’t be see on the black bar so it seems pointless to pull it down all the way.

I want the picture to fit the entire screen if possible, and thought this would be achievable considering I can move the projector anywhere within a 4 metre range

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    You need to return the screen - you can mess around all you want with the projector, it will never ‘fill’ that screen with a 16:9 image.

Joe

11. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again Joe

What I don’t understand is that with my previous optoma projector display 16:9 the picture filled up the entire screen and was fine. Is the issue because I now have a short throw projector?

12. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Go into the projector menu and select the 3rd tab along, (Make sure you have an image being sent to the projector) then highlight the Aspect Ratio and select 4:3, (Use the arrow keys) you should now be able to adjust the zoom knob to fill the screen.

If the above works, (I suspect it will) then it confirms you have 4:3 screen and not a 16:9 screen, so will need to be replaced.

NOTE: The Optoma HD65 can also be set to output a 4:3 image, which is what I suspect is what it is set as. (Remember, the actual aspect ratio selected will only be shown when an image is being sent to the projector)

Bill

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    With the Projector in 16:9 mode and the image aligned to the top edge of the screen I’m guessing you only had a certain amount of screen ‘rolled out’.

Joe

14. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe

Yes thats correct, I can pull the screen down a bit further which exposes a larger black border.

Abacus - I always make sure I set my aspect ratio to either auto or 16:9. I know that 4:3 isnt ideal so i made sure on my old and new projector that this is the set ratio.

Sorry guys, just so confused. I am using Apple TV and Blurays as my input and on my previous projector set at 16:9 on the same screen the picture filled up the white screen entirely.

15. MJC UK

MJC UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Have you got the 1070 or 1070ST? I have the 1070 and I’m sure I get a screen size of roughly 120” at just over 3m away @ 16:9 when using my Apple TV

16. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I definitely have the W1070, at 3 meters the picture is too wide for my screen. But moving it closer or further still causes the picture to be too big. If I move the projector closer I can get the picture on the screen but I then have large white gaps at the top and bottom

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    'Yes thats correct, I can pull the screen down a bit further which exposes a larger black border' - I was more thinking you had the screen rolled up so that you filled the visible bit with a 16:9 image.

Roll the screen fully out, dig out your tape measure, measure the white area (Width and Height) and post the dimensions.

Joe

18. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe

Just measured up so just the white screen measurements are as follows.

Height - 60 inches

Width - 80 inches

Diagonal is - 100 inches

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    80" x 60" visible area = 4:3 format screen.

You are looking for an 80" x 45" visible area for a 16:9 image.

Joe

20. MJC UK

MJC UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    The image you posted says it should be 48.8 x 80, so alarm bells should ringing immediately

Using your measurements and dividing width by height, works out at 1.3 = 4:3, as posted above

Time to send it back

21. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys

Thanks for the info, can’t send it back as I have had it a few years. Is 4:3 ok or should I be looking at getting a 16:9 screen. Are the actual screens bigger as I can’t fit anything bigger width wise to the beams. See pic.

Attached Files:

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    'Is 4:3 ok or should I be looking at getting a 16:9 screen' - the majority of what you are likely to be watching will be in a 16:9 (or wider) format so using the whole of the 4:3 screen is not going to work too well.

If replacing the screen is not an option you have a few options using the full width of the 4:3 screen:

A. View with a white area above the projected image.

B. As above and add a black 'mask' above the image.

C. Lower the canister away from the ceiling joist and roll out just the height required for 16:9.

D. Leave the canister where it is, roll out just the required height for a 16:9 image and adjust the height of the projected image.

If replacing the screen is an option and you are making this a dedicated Cinema Room you could consider a fixed frame AT (acoustically transparent) screen surface and mount your Front LCR Loudspeakers behind the screen, you can do a DIY AT screen on a tight budget.

Joe

23. bootgaz

bootgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the constructive feedback. So I have lowered the screen to 45 inches to make a 16:9 screen. We are now getting somewhere and have posted a pic of the Apple TV menu. The only issues I have now is that when watching a film (Greatest showman in this case) the Picture is again smaller on the screen with gaps at the top and bottom.

Attached Files:

24. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    This is normal as most films have an aspect ratio of 2.40:1 (2.35:1) hence the upper and lower bars.

Bill

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    As Bill says Movies can often be shot/displayed in formats other than 16:9 - some even bounce around between formats within a Movie to add drama to sections of the Movie.

Unless you get into Screen masking, anamorphic lens, projector zoom presets, external video processing... you have to take some form of ‘mid ground’ (16:9 being the norm) with your projection system and display with black bars Top and Botom or for old school 4:3 left and right.

The top and bottom bars can vary in height depending on the format of the movie.

Joe

PS Lots of articles online re Movie Aspect Ratios - Film Studies 101: A Beginner's Guide To Aspect Ratios

26. AFM1

AFM1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Some images from the Web attached which may help you to visualise the different aspect ratios and how each is presented on a given screen.

If most of your viewing is TV or TV series then I'd get a 16:9 screen (or just roll you current screen down so far for a 16:9 visible ratio like you've done), but widescreen 'scope' movies in 2.35:1 (or 2.39:1 or 2.40:1) will have black bars top and bottom. But to counter that roll your screen up a bit to remove (if you can easily adjust you PJ height that is).

But if main viewing is movies then the best bet is a scope screen of the same width just less height. TV stuff in 16:9 (and most menu screens) will then have gaps at the sides rather than top and bottom.

Attached Files: