1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throw distances - why such differences?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StephenR, Jan 11, 2004.

1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a projector to replace my Sanyo PLV-30. I am quite restricted by throw distance, because I want to place the new projector in the same place as the old one, a little over 4m from the screen. I plan on getting a new screen (16:9 instead of 4:3) but because of room size I don't really want to go much bigger than 100" diagonal.

While having a look at throw distances on ProjecterCentral.com I noticed how the Hitachi PJ-TX10 is much more flexible than the Sanyo PLV-Z2. To produce a 100" diagonal the Hitachi can be placed from 2.54m to 5.27m away from the screen. In contrast, the Sanyo only allows distances of 2.99m to 3.88m.

Considering the two projectors are basically the same technology (LCD, 16:9) how come the throw distances are so different? I know the lens makes a difference, but if Hitachi can be so flexible why can't the Sanyo? Am I missing something obvious here? I would be grateful if someone could fill me in, or alternatively just let me know that it is just one of those things.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's just one of those things.................

Different manufacturers are looking to target different types of projector users, Hitachi are seeking to have a market advantage by having a very flexible throw distance, Sanyo by having very flexible arrangement with the lens shift function - you choose what's suitable for you - it's all a matter of compromises of one sort or another.

Sean G.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Basically the minimum throw distance is dicatated by and limited by the focus range of the lens...
    Max throw is limited by the brightness of the projector..
    Good site here.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i to have the sanyo plv30, when its time for me to upgrade it will be down to the throw ration rather than the model of the month. although i think the ceiling bracket will still need to be moved either left or right due to the placement of the lens. i know that yamaha pj's have the lens in the same place. I was suprised the z2 had a shorter throw than the plv30.do any other people move they brackets all over the place when replacing pjs every 2/3 years?

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. It is as I though - shame, because I would have really liked the PLV-Z2. It is only a matter of about 10cm or so, so I may yet find a way to accomodate it (or just have a 106" picture!). On the bright side, the Hitachi can be bought for less than £1000 which is a bit of a bargain.

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do you guys think the Z2 or the Hitachi PJ-TX10 are a big enough improvement over the PLV30 to justify an upgrade then?

Has anyone been able to do a head to head against a PLV30?

Reason I ask, is that I am another PLV30 owner trying desparately to staive off upgraditus for a while longer

Cheers

Croc

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Croc,

If your happy with your plv30 then keep it till it doesnt become cost effective to fix it. im sure there will always be better pjs around the corner, but why line their pockets every 2 years or so. The plv30 has had little coverage in terms of problems, and i think the design of the plv30 is better than the z1 or z2 (the flip down lens cap for one!). I would have thought sanyo would have bought out a more expensive (or cheaper!)replacement for the plv30 for us users that want a long throw. I suppose at some point sanyo wont stock the replacement bulbs which in my case would warrant an upgrade

8. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I am thinking of replacing my PLV-30 is because of the problems I have had with it. First of all it developed a yellow patch in the centre so had to be sent away to be fixed. When it came back it had a blurry line across the top of the picture. Sent it away again and it came back fixed but with a dead pixel :mad: At this point the problems had been going on for months so I decided to live with the dead pixel for the time being, until I decide on a replacement.

9. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    StephenR

In considering suitable replacements, have you been able to do any direct comparisons? I was particularly interested in how the PLV30 faired against the new generation of LCD PJs such as Z2, AE500, AE300 or the Hitachi PJ-TX10. Buns mentioned in a recent thread that his Z2 doesn't better his old PLV30 in terms of black levels. A brave statement from someone who has just shelled out on a new PJ. The thing is, this comment and other tit bits I've read here and there, leads me to suspect that the grass might not be that much greener. It would be interesting to here from someone who has done a direct comparison. Ideally from someone who is yet to buy. We all know how hard we try to justify our new purchases making objective comparison all the harder when the new PJ is fitted with a rose tinted filter ;) if you get my meaning.

Cheers

Croc

10. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Croc,

I have yet to demo any of the projectors I am considering, but intend to in the coming weeks. My intention is to replace the PLV-30 by Easter. The problems with it keep getting worse - sometimes when it starts up the picture will shake and there will be wavy lines across the screen - a quick tap on the unit seems to fix it though!

While my PLV-30 was away I was loaned a Panasonic PT-AE100. I was actually quite impressed by this unit, especially as I wasn't using the full panel because of the size of my screen (I had to have a 4:3 letterboxed picture within the 16:9 image). The blacks did appear to be slightly better than my PLV-30 too.

I agree that there may be an element of "the grass is greaner", so it would be interesting to see a direct comparison. When I start demoing I will try to get a head-to-head comparison. I will let you know the results.