THROW DISTANCE! My installer screwed me 310cm from Screen 260X150 dimensions

zanat0s

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI,

i will try to be brief and get the best advice.
Model: EPSON TW9400 (AMAZING)
Location: bright room (so only watch at night with blinders on) Ceiling in
Distance: 310 Cm from the screen
screen dimension : 260 width X 150 height

the location of the projector was decided by my installer who unfortunately didn't take into account the throw distance!
so i have a projector that is installed in a suspended ceiling with a lift.
epson.png

i lose a big part of the screen and have to use the widest angle. i talked with the guy who did the plasterboard suspended ceiling. he told me that it is a huge pain to cut the ceiling in order to install the lift and the projector elsewhere.

since i only use it once per week (AT BEST)i am not in a hurry to fix it.

the solution i have are;

1: CHANGE the location of the projector and the lift. TOO tough and expensive. maybe in 2 years
2: get a projector that can project a full image under this situation and sell the epson
3: any idea you guys might have?

thank you in advance

ps dont' trust anyone. people want to get paid, very few people want to do a great job!

Do you know if there are any structures or things blocking the space over the suspended ceiling in the correct throw area and if that can be a reason for where the projector lift was located?

What are the room dimensions, is there more space further back for an additional lift install so the current one does not need to be moved? (might be less expensive)

Did the installer know all the facts about the chosen projector, screen size and the location of the screen in the early phase of the planning process?

One idea might be to skip the lift altogether and use a more normal ceiling bracket and get used to having a nice-looking projector in the ceiling.

"ps dont' trust anyone. people want to get paid, very few people want to do a great job!"

If that is the case, why don't you just move the lift and install the projector yourself?

What work do you do yourself to earn your money, because I recond you also want to get paid?

I will rather say that everyone that does install jobs like this wants to do a good job and love happy satisfied customers.

There are however some "natural" laws in the real world that do apply in cases like this, have you ever heard about Murphy's Law?

So you have a 120" diagonal screen and looking at the throw from the lens on this projector, it should be a minimum of 360m which makes me think the installer has got his measurements of wrong with the projector and cable space into account when sorting its placement as the discrepancy is about 50cm which would be what you need to leave at the rear, and to me it seems they've taken this as the rear of the projector and lens to screen

Now as for choosing a different projector, the Epson is one of the most flexible units on the market and and the only projector I can find which will get anywhere close to are the Optoma UHD55/UZH50 which can get to 321cm as a throw, but even this is quite a bit short

So to me you have two choices. Either reduce the screen size to fit the throw which will be about 104" (diagonal) based on the information you have given (not taking into account tolerances) or move the projector to its correct position as it ought to have been in the first instance

One area might be to look at the camera section to see if you can add another lens which might work like the anamorphic lens. I think you will require a lens that will increase the image by 15% from that distance, but I might be wrong, so do some calculations to make sure from the screen size you have to the image size you can achieve. This is only an idea as I have to say I've never seen this option put into practice, but thinking more outside of the box as an out their thought. The only real issue with this option if you went down it, how much it would cost and whether the lens would be upto that of the Epsons standards plus will adding another lens add any other unwanted artifacts to the image

I feel because of this, I still feel you really only have two options available to you which is what I suggested earlier by either reducing the screen size or moving the projector

A 1.33x anamorphic lens option might be an option if you want to fill a 2.35:1 screen. (nor a 16:9 one)
Have not done the math but even the rather big A-lenses like the IIIL from Isco might struggle to fit the projector's light cone inside the optic area when the retracted Epson lens is used close to it's widest setting or the necessary wide angle at this short throw.

I think throw distances are pretty similar for normal projectors. Even an expensive 100mm lens projector like NX9 won’t get you past 3600mm. Sorry you need to move the projector or drop the screen size.

I made a shelf at the back of the room for my 9300

A nice piece of wood and get the fixings right.

YUMORE Shelf Brackets Heavy Duty,... Amazon product ASIN B07VLKCWC1
Assuming you have a 1.0 gain screen I would find the image too bright at 105", but just right at 120"

Do you know if there are any structures or things blocking the space over the suspended ceiling in the correct throw area and if that can be a reason for where the projector lift was located?

What are the room dimensions, is there more space further back for an additional lift install so the current one does not need to be moved? (might be less expensive)

Did the installer know all the facts about the chosen projector, screen size and the location of the screen in the early phase of the planning process?

One idea might be to skip the lift altogether and use a more normal ceiling bracket and get used to having a nice-looking projector in the ceiling.

If that is the case, why don't you just move the lift and install the projector yourself?

What work do you do yourself to earn your money, because I recond you also want to get paid?

I will rather say that everyone that does install jobs like this wants to do a good job and love happy satisfied customers.

There are however some "natural" laws in the real world that do apply in cases like this, have you ever heard about Murphy's Law?

I have no problem paying and the house was a newly renovated and the installer came before the ceiling was installed so we wouldn't have any issue. he selected where the speakers would be and everything.
I find it very unprofessional that i paid for a service that was done hastily without taking into account important information like throw distance!

this is personal micro aggression and i never said i do not want to be pay. i just demand the normal service without having to pay a fortune for the mistakes a "professional" made.

well i am not satisfied and it is not a good job in the end.

This is a no-go from my wife

yes he made all the choices.

there is more than 150cm of space further back. but still due to all the work i need to paint the ceiling again which is one of the most expensive parts of the job. Installing an additional lift on its own doesn't lower the price a lot

since i use the projector at most once per month i will check my options. if there was a projector out there that blew the EPSON out of the water and could project from 3 meters i would go for it. but i feel like there isn't!

If the installer has messed it up then tell him you’ll pay him once he rectifies it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom