Question Throttled

XL5

Is it just my equipment i ask myself...are my 4k settings correct? Is my projector bulb on its way out?
These are some of the questions ive been asking myself lately....
Basically are any other members noticing a drop in resolution accross their streaming apps, Netflix, Amazon etc
I think the biggest culprit is Disney+ or am i imagining it.....

XL5

A failing projector bulb would have absolutely no effect on resolution or streaming quality.
I sense it on tv resolution as well. I have 4k movie downloads on hdd and they are crisp on the tv and the projector.
I mentioned the bulb scenario for others who might be wondering...
If you are using a setting for 4k hdr (cinema in my case) the projector is optamised for that source, larger contrast range, larger colour gamut etc when its fed an inferior stream the image is dimmer and the colors slightly flat looking...this can be a sign of the bulb failing.
Its not the bulb so ive put it down to the stream not being in 4k..i think its being throttled.

wongataa

The stream could well be in 4K (you can usually bring up the info in Netflix which tells you the resolution of the stream) but if it is compressed too much it will look worse than a good 1080p source. The quality of the image is down to the resolution and the amount of compression used. High res and high compression will look worse than a lower resolution with less compression.

XL5

The stream could well be in 4K (you can usually bring up the info in Netflix which tells you the resolution of the stream) but if it is compressed too much it will look worse than a good 1080p source. The quality of the image is down to the resolution and the amount of compression used. High res and high compression will look worse than a lower resolution with less compression.
Agreed, it is obviously just more apparent on a projector screen..says 4k but it is obviously being compressed and as i say Disney + looks pitiful...

wongataa

All streaming services use heavily compressed video streams. The bit rates are always a lot less than what you would get on a Blu-ray disc. They do this so you can actually stream the video. If they didn't hardly anyone would have suitable internet connections to use the services.

XL5

I know all that, what i am asking forum members is if they have noticed their streams being throttled. Disney plus 4k is the worst in my book. Was good one day then bad the next.
It might be a local thing but my sisters has gone the same way and she's 3 miles away...

XL5

Wired, i have just found out Disney plus has reduced their bandwidth by 25%....i knew. the quality had altered..

Vid

Distinguished Member
Wired, i have just found out Disney plus has reduced their bandwidth by 25%....i knew. the quality had altered..
And where did you find that ? Or did you just not read the date of the article.

Vid

Distinguished Member
I shall pick a random thread.

XL5

I shall re check my signal path but I'm still not convinced they havent applied extra compression lately. Have you got Disney plus?

Vid

Distinguished Member
I shall re check my signal path but I'm still not convinced they havent applied extra compression lately. Have you got Disney plus?
Yes I do and also have a 4 year old who watches it every day. I have not noticed any reduction in bandwidth. In fact it was only the other day I quickly tested out Pirates and thought wow.

But this is on my 55 C9 and not a projector.

XL5

It would be more apparent on a projector but i will recheck ...im using wired connection, nvidia - n950 soundbar - calibrated epson 7400 projector. :)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Agreed, it is obviously just more apparent on a projector screen..says 4k but it is obviously being compressed and as i say Disney + looks pitiful...
D+ are on the top 3 streaming provider list when it comes to compression. Average bit rate 17 Mbps. Peak bit rate 27-29 Mbps. Similar to Blu-ray bit rates. They look fine on my 65 inch OLED and close to the disc.

XL5

Ok i have a confession to make........dont laugh..
I use two pairs of glasses one for reading and a pair for film/ projector viewing...for middle distance so i can fully appreciate 4k.
Well the kids have swopped my middle distance glasses for a 5 year old pair with the same frame but different lenses...so for the past week ive been tweeking and messing for nothing... :rolleyes: :rotfl::laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom