1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thriller SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by phillfyspoon, Oct 21, 2003.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok im a huge MJ fan and I was thinking about buying the sacd version of thriller I have the cd version here's my question is the sacd version better then the cd version as I have heard that the sacd version is not very good sound wise. Is it 192/24bit audio? also do you think my system would make good use of high res audio

denon 2802 reciever
    sony ns930 dvd player
    mission m5 centre
    mission m33 fronts
    mission m5ds rears
    REL QE150 sub
    QED silver anniversary speaker cable

2. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No, but that's because SACD doesn't use a PCM encoding mechanism, so the metric you're trying to use doesn't apply. Check out http://interprod5.imgusa.com/son-637/technology.asp for a very high level overview.

I've got the disc by the way - it sounds ok to me, but I don't have the original CD to compare it against. As regards your equipment, do other SACD's you have sound "better" on the SACD layer than the CD layer? If your Sony DVD player also doubles as your CD player, I'd expect the SACD layer to sound better, but you need to suck it and see...

Cheers, Clive

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have Thriller on vinyl, normal CD and SACD.
    You have CD already so I wouldn't bother with the SACD.
    Your equipment should make you delighted with best SACDs but this particular disc sounds worse than normal CD, it's too bright.
    Being one of the earliest DSD discs it wouldn't surprise me if it is re-worked in the future anyway, another reason not to buy it.