Three's One Plan - No more 12 month SIM Only?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to move to 3's One Plan this month and I was going to get the 12 month SIM Only deal and go via Quidco/TopCashBack and nab £107 cashback.

I've just had a look at both the cashback sites and can only see £48.48 cashback and £107.06 for a 24 month contract. :eek: :thumbsdow

It's no major deal, but where I was quite happy to sign for 12 months, 2 years is too long for me.

£48 cashback still means the deal will equate to £21 per month, but the £107 would have equated to £16 per month...

It would seem the One Plan has moved to a 24 month contract.

Edit. But upon searching it seems the 1 month sim only deal is still available from Three, I guess the cashback deal just expired.

Last edited:
It would seem the One Plan has moved to a 24 month contract.

Edit. But upon searching it seems the 1 month sim only deal is still available from Three, I guess the cashback deal just expired.

Yeah, it looks like the options are a 2 year contract with £107 cashback or a monthly rolling deal with £48 cashback.

Monthly rolling works for me.

Yeah, it looks like the options are a 2 year contract with £107 cashback or a monthly rolling deal with £48 cashback.

Monthly rolling works for me.

Can you transfer your number to a rolling sim-only deal?

The £15 deal looks to be suitable for me.

And does anyone know if personal hotspot works on anything other than the one plan? I know you're not supposed to use tethering on any other plan, but does it actually work? (I heard some say it does) I'm just wanting it for backup, rather than a need to use it. The last time I tethered was 2005, so I don't really want to spent the extra £10/mnth for something I may not use for the next six years.

Yeah, you can tether on any Three plan, its just the data allowances (500mb or 1gb) won't cater for it as well as all you can eat.

Never the less, you can do it without needing to pay for any add-ons or anything.

SIM's just turned up, I went into settings and changed network from Automatic to "3 3G" and all seems good.

Just ran a speed test:

e72644dc.jpg

SIM's just turned up, I went into settings and changed network from Automatic to "3 3G" and all seems good.

Just ran a speed test:

Leave network on automatic and the sim will dictate that it uses the Three network. On automatic, if you are ever out of 3g covereage (very rare on 3), it will connect to the 2g backup if available

Done, thanks. :thumbsup:

Who provides the 2G network for 3 these days?
Orange. My understanding is that 3 are gradually switching off the 2g backup in areas they believe there is full 3G and it can cause some problems. Personally I find I have 3G pretty much everywhere I go so not an issue for me so far!

You'll find less and less examples of Three switching to Orange 2G as a backup, it's all but turned off these days, since MBNL (Google it).

Sounds like it was a simple process switching to three. I'm thinking of doing this when my contract is up, (unless Tesco get their act together with Hotspot) so I'm guessing you'd recommend it?

Sounds like it was a simple process switching to three. I'm thinking of doing this when my contract is up, (unless Tesco get their act together with Hotspot) so I'm guessing you'd recommend it?

So far so good, yes.

The number port was simple and painless. I rang 333 from the phone yesterday and followed the instructions to port and this morning it moved over. :thumbsup:

The hotspot feature is great and I can finally make use of it without worrying about data caps and incurring any further costs.

I tethered it to my laptop yesterday and did some Windows updates and it really was superb.

A quick update...

I had a couple of dropped calls while out in the car yesterday (to the same person on O2), but I'm not sure it was a 3 issue as I rang him straight back and got his voicemail.

I really like the 3 app as it shows usage in real time (as opposed to the My Vodafone app which only updates daily).

The only other thing is that the app showed a data allowance of 1.2 gig when I first fired it up and now shows 909MB remaining... :confused:

2b7aa01f.jpg

5c7ade6d.jpg

I'm sure it's not an issue, as the One Plan is clearly unlimited data.

Other than that, I'm really impressed with how smoothly the whole process went.

In all honesty, I'm aware 3 seem to have a reputation for being one of those companies that while it works it works really well, but God help you if you have a problem and need to speak to them and get it sorted, but I can only speak as I find (and remember I haven't actually spoken to anyone at 3 yet!), but everything's been fine so far and the 3G network definitely gives good performance for me.

The other thing I really like is being able to use the wireless hotspot. It's probably a bit of novelty value at the moment but being able to tether my iPad while I'm out and about is a big plus for me as I don't have to keep using the 3 month/3 gig SIMs. :thumbsup:

So far so good. :thumbsup:

thanks Azzin - you're filling me full of confidence with my pending move from O2 to 3.

I have had a 3 PAYG sim for nearly a week now and although I've not yet loaded any credit onto it (O2 contracts runs till 18th June) I have been popping it into my 3GS regularly in different locations to test signal strength, which appears to be better than O2 where I live. I even noticed yesterday that it was letting me test their data network too as I was able to surf the web and update my twitter a few times - thanks very much 3, looks like I will be joining you for your excellent £15 per month PAYG deal.

I even tried out tethering my iPad this morning and it worked perfectly - and was nearly as quick as my wifi connection at loading BBC site. Bizarrely, I now have my O2 sim back in and the personal hotspot option still appears and is functional << scrap that, as soon as you try to tether the option disappears .. damn you O2 !!

Last edited:
A quick update...

I had a couple of dropped calls while out in the car yesterday (to the same person on O2), but I'm not sure it was a 3 issue as I rang him straight back and got his voicemail.

I really like the 3 app as it shows usage in real time (as opposed to the My Vodafone app which only updates daily).

The only other thing is that the app showed a data allowance of 1.2 gig when I first fired it up and now shows 909MB remaining... :confused:

I'm sure it's not an issue, as the One Plan is clearly unlimited data.

Other than that, I'm really impressed with how smoothly the whole process went.

In all honesty, I'm aware 3 seem to have a reputation for being one of those companies that while it works it works really well, but God help you if you have a problem and need to speak to them and get it sorted, but I can only speak as I find (and remember I haven't actually spoken to anyone at 3 yet!), but everything's been fine so far and the 3G network definitely gives good performance for me.

The other thing I really like is being able to use the wireless hotspot. It's probably a bit of novelty value at the moment but being able to tether my iPad while I'm out and about is a big plus for me as I don't have to keep using the 3 month/3 gig SIMs. :thumbsup:

So far so good. :thumbsup:
I believe when 3 brought in the unlimited data they had problems with the online account not showing it as unlimited due to the systems not being updated. I'm surprised they've not fixed this yet (I'm on payg ayce and it does say unlimited) but I wouldn't worry about it. You could always ring 333 to confirm you have unlimited data though

As far as contacting 3 is concerned, its worth keeping an eye on the blog Welcome to the Three Blog and following them on twitter. These are run by people in the uk and you can contact them if you have any problems. If its an accouint thing then they will probably arrange a call back for you and that will most likely be from overseas but they do try their hardest even if the language barrier can be frustrating at times

I do get occasional dropped calls with 3, more so than any other network but for me, the data performance and price is so much better than the other networks that I can put up with it!

ive been with 3 for about 7 weeks now and think they are excellent.

i get 300 mins, 3000 texts, 300 three to three mins and 3gb of data for £15 per month, rolling 30 day deal.

i am thinking of going on the one plan soon because of the unlimited data. i hope they fix the app so it shows unlimited.

have you got a screenshot of the payg app showing unlimited data for us??

cheers

I will be moving to Three when my Vodafone sim only deal ends in July this year. I have found Vodafone to be of a lower quality than o2 who I was with for 10 years. With Vodafone the iPhone 4 will often not let me browse the net using Safari even though I have a full 3G signal and when people phone me they are often sent directly to my answerphone even when I am not using my phone in a good signal area.

This week I've also struggled to make outgoing calls and have to try several times before the phone connects to a line.

I'm using a Three 3GB data sim in my iPad 2 and it has been wonderful.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom