Three Mobile Broadband and 4g

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by williamus, Feb 13, 2014.

1. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I've got MBB with Three and we've got iPhones with the £15 all-you-can-eat PAYG. The MBB costs a hefty £25 for 7GB on PAYG but it works well and as a result we had the BT landline taken out nearly two years ago. (What a good move that was for all sorts of reasons).

I typically get 8 to 10 mbps on the MBB HSDPA which is fine for most things. Speed fluctuates a bit but has been pretty reliable over the last couple of years. My iPhone 5 usually gives me 13 to 16 mbps. 4G arrived here (six miles south of Birmingham) yesterday and last night I recorded 53 mbps up and 12 down on the iPhone.

Three are now offering 4G MBB for £35 for 60GB (+ £30 for the dongle/router) for 12 months. I know I could do it cheaper with a landline or even sign up for the One Plan on the iPhone then tether my PC but I have to say this package is very tempting.

Any thoughts?

2. gowyprince

gowyprince
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive heard that Three are throttling people on the 4G MBB package. I know of somebody who lives in a 4G area and get a lot faster speed on his iPhone than he does on his dongle. Same network, same place but much faster speed on iPhone. Don't know why. Also is the 60GB for the whole year? (5GB per month), if so with the 4G being faster, would that not go very quickly?

3. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
    All isp's who offer unlimited usage will be throttling due to the huge hike in transit costs. It's getting tough out there.

4. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have MBB and iPhones on Three and the MBB has never been anywhere near as fast as the iPhones especially at peak times, but their MBB has been improving steadily in the last couple of years to where 12 mbps is common, but can fall off to 3-4 mbps at peak times. It's still quite acceptable though.

Now then... I've just bought the 4G MF823 Dongle and put my old MBB SIM in and this is what happened when I plugged it in a couple of minutes ago:

4G MBB 110414 1702.jpg
    That'll do very nicely thank you. Very early days but we'll have to see how it performs over time.

Slight confession about the £35/60GB pcm I quoted in an earlier post. Having checked it with Three, it turns out it's in Ireland (I should have noticed the £ sign looked odd). Still if they rolled it out in Ireland first, the same or a better deal may well come our way soon.

5. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I've been running the Three MBB on 4G for a couple of weeks now and it's been pretty reliable:

250414.jpg

My iPhone 4G is consistently a little faster, but not significantly so and that could just be down to the test itself. Either way, I'm quite happy with the results.