three home signal question

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by delnoch13, Aug 13, 2013.

1. delnoch13

delnoch13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a contract with three with unlimited data that I took out mainly to use a an alternative to my home broadband which gets around 2mb download speed in our rural area.

I can get speeds of 2-8mb on 3g on my phone so a vast improvement but my home signal coverage is very poor as 3g only works if its perched in my window and gives me 1-2 bars.

After speaking to three, I've been offered the home signal box which should boost my signal but after researching, as it plugs into my router does it basically just use my normal internet, so will be limited to the 2mb of my poor bt broadband?

2. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Yes, it'll use your internet. I don't think voice calls need more than 2mb speed for voice clarity

3. delnoch13

delnoch13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm thinking the home signal box wont be much use to me then.
    Even on a very low signal I never have issues with voice or texting, but its the data that suffers (unless I'm perched in the window).

Using the 3 home signal will drop my 3g speeds to my max home broadband of 2mb which is lower than my average 3g in which case I may aswell use my wifi.

4. delnoch13

delnoch13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking into alternatives.

If I got hold of a "Yagi" antenna a length of coax cable and attached to an Omni directional indoor antenna, would this help?

If I don't use a booster as such is this legal in the UK?

5. Bob4584

Bob4584

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Providing you dont transmit an amplified signal you can use any antenna you like. I'm not sure that you will improve things though, as your 3g signal will rely on transmit and receive from your phone. Poor coverage rarely can be improved by simply changing the antenna type.