• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Three HD Devices Into Two HDMI Inputs Wont Go!

G

georgedingwall

Hi all,

As there doesn't seem to be an end to the format war, I thought about buying both HD-DVD and BluRay players. I noticed that I could get one of each for around a total of 500 UKPounds.

However, my TV only has two HDMI inputs. And I already have a Sky HD Box on one of them.

Is there some sort of switching device where you can plug in three, or more, HD devices that will automatically switch an active line through to the TV?

I really don't want to be reaching behind the TV to change cables whenever I change from one format to the other.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

7hil

If you just type in the word "HDMI" into Amazon you'll see that they do a switcher for £29.98.

G

georgedingwall

or get that new samsung duo player out next month.

I heard about that, but the price is probably going to be quite a bit more than buying one of each type of player.

Maybe the dual format solution will reach the mass market in a few years, but if history has anything to tell us, it is that the early versions of new technology are always very expensive.

Bye for now.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Here you go, an inexpensive switcher for your needs.

If you haven't already done so, you may also wish to consider some of the new gen AV receivers from the likes of Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer and soon to be released Yamaha AV amps all of which will have HDMI switching.

Owen824

that new samsung player looks like it is going to be £600 on launch. pretty good price considering it handles both formats as well as there online capabilities. definitely will go for one of these over buy two seperates. not enough space for 2 more seperates. :eek:

G

georgedingwall

not enough space for 2 more seperates. :eek:

Hi Owen,

My TV, A Bravia KDL40W2000, only has two HDMI inputs. I will never use it for games or anything other than watching TV and DVDs, so as long as I have a way of connecting more than two HDMI devices, I'll be happy.:thumbsup:

I currently have a Sony DVD/Hard drive recorder on the TV, and the SKY HD is being installed tomorrow. I want to keep the Sony DVD recorder attached to the TV, so will definitely need a switch to add more HDMI devices. So, whether I choose two separates or wait to have a look at the new Dual Format Samsung, I will still need a switch.

Bye for now.

nm10721

Banned
Here you go, an inexpensive switcher for your needs.

If you haven't already done so, you may also wish to consider some of the new gen AV receivers from the likes of Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer and soon to be released Yamaha AV amps all of which will have HDMI switching.

these are available cheaper on ebay. I bought one from the states for about £30 delivered and it was faulty on delivery. (lesson learned about importing). I now have a joytech box, it works fine,

Neil

Kevo

Shouldn't a switch that is HDMI v1.3 compatible be considered, or is it early days?

That reminds me, mine is v1.2 :rolleyes:

Also consider at leats one with 4 inputs AND optical audio inputs (you just never know what lies ahead). This time last year I was using one HDMI input, now i'm using 3 and I wouldn't rule out a 4th with the Xbox 360 elite :rolleyes:

Markatlarks

Standard Member
HD DVD output to LCD Projector and HDTV?
I have just being reading an excellent review on the Toshiba HD-XE1. Looking at the outputs on the back I notice that there is only 1 HDMI output.

With this in mind can someone advise me as to the best solution so I can either output to a Toshiba HDTV which has 2 HDMI ports and at the same time / or switchable output to an LCD Projector which has a DVI interface. I should point out that I will be upgrading to an HD LCD projector but will be using the DVI cable which is already installed in my wall!!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

PS: I Have a Pioneer 7 channel amp but this does not have any HDMI or DVI passthrough / connectors.

TrevorS

HD DVD output to LCD Projector and HDTV?
I have just being reading an excellent review on the Toshiba HD-XE1. Looking at the outputs on the back I notice that there is only 1 HDMI output.

With this in mind can someone advise me as to the best solution so I can either output to a Toshiba HDTV which has 2 HDMI ports and at the same time / or switchable output to an LCD Projector which has a DVI interface. I should point out that I will be upgrading to an HD LCD projector but will be using the DVI cable which is already installed in my wall!!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

PS: I Have a Pioneer 7 channel amp but this does not have any HDMI or DVI passthrough / connectors.

Not a problem! Just as HDMI switchers are available, so are HDMI splitters, and also a combination of both (eg. 4in/2out => 4x2).

My setup feeds my HD DVD HDMI to an HDMI receiver which feeds a splitter for both a TV and a projector.

Here's an example of a 4x2 switch: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-HDMI-442.htm

andybedz

Standard Member

Kevo

What version of HDMI does the THOR switch box handle?

Does it matter at this stage if it's not v1.3?

Also, I assume it's the same 'Thor' tht produces quality cables?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom