Three From the Garden

chrisw

With some decent weather, it's been nice to be able to get out and finally start using my new 40D and my 28-135 which have barely seen the light of day in the last month or so.

Unsure why the ISO was so high - possibly to do with having the camera on auto-ISO, but not sure. Processed from RAW with some slight brightness adjustments and minor sharpening.

F5.6, 1/250, ISO 400, 135mm, with on-board flash

F5.6, 1/1250, ISO400, 135mm

F5.6, 1/250, ISO 400, 135mm, with on-board flash

C&C welcome.

T0MAT01

Novice Member
Nice shots, I think the second one works the best.

IIRC the Auto ISO feature will always use a minimum of ISO 400 unless it will cause overexposure in which case it will drop it down.

Yandros

Novice Member
Wow, those are some seriously blown highlights. I agree though that it works on the second one :thumbsup:

Generally speaking though, built-in flash sucks royally for closeup work!

chrisw

Wow, those are some seriously blown highlights. I agree though that it works on the second one :thumbsup:

Generally speaking though, built-in flash sucks royally for closeup work!

Looking at the flowers in the garden, they are extremely white at the base of the petals, but don't think ISO400 did me any favours!

After watching the Canon tutorial on the 40D, there's a setting to help sort out this kind of problem, so am looking forward to trying out this feature.

Can't afford a decent flash at the mo! :(

Yandros

Novice Member
Looking at the flowers in the garden, they are extremely white at the base of the petals, but don't think ISO400 did me any favours!

After watching the Canon tutorial on the 40D, there's a setting to help sort out this kind of problem, so am looking forward to trying out this feature.

Can't afford a decent flash at the mo! :(

I'd suggest not bothering with a flash at all, unless you can get a couple of off-camera units, or a diffuser (home made can work well). To be honest though, unless you've got a very dull day, you'll be fine with natural light for flowers.

As for the blown out whites, try changing metering mode (centre weighted or spot) or dial back the exposure compensation a couple of notches. Basically white flowers are always tricky, and usually need a bit of trial and error to get the exposure spot on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom