Three contract due to expire - decision to make

chenks

Suspended
I'm currently with Three (sim only, unlimited data, voice and SMS) for £17pm (renewed by existing sim-only deal black friday deal last year).
the 12 months minimum term is due to expire next month when it will revert to the "normal" advertised price i assume (three don't make it very clear in your account what the non-discounted price is).

I originally joined Three when they were unique with the "Feel at Home/Go roam" product giving free roaming compared to other networks that didn't.
with Three now joining the others in adding back roaming charges this have given me a decision to make.

so i either

1) stay with Three on the increased price once the minimum term expires which means i'll keep the existing terms of my contract and not get the £2 per day roaming applied to me, but be stuck in never being able to re-contract or change anything.

2) re-contract with Three on a re-negotiated price, but will get the roaming charges applied when they eventually kick in

3) jump ship and move to another network as Three no longer have a USP compared to all the rest.

unlimited data is pretty crucial for me, and although i may not use tons every month, some months i might and it's good to never have to worry about it when using it to play music or podcasts in the car, or when tethering or whatever.

if i was to move network it would probably be to EE (vodagone and O2 aren't a consideration as are MVNO's)

any thoughts?

chenks

Suspended
As far as the roaming thing is concerned, I think all providers will do that.

i know that, that's why i said Three have lost the USP that they had.
and i said that they now join all the other providers in roaming charges (in the second paragraph of the post).

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I think that (RPI+ increases aside) when your deal ends, you will continue ad infinitum on existing terms. At least - that's what they told me about my 20gb for £9 deal when I took it up a while back. When mine does end, I will lreave it to roll on unless or until I see its price rise and/or the teerms change. Then and only then will I consider my options.

Downinja

What is the signal coverage like where you live/work? Are you getting 5g etc?

Sounds like it suits you, what are you holiday plans for the coming year? Are you going somewhere that this roaming issue will have a major impact?

chenks

Suspended
I think that (RPI+ increases aside) when your deal ends, you will continue ad infinitum on existing terms. At least - that's what they told me about my 20gb for £9 deal when I took it up a while back. When mine does end, I will lreave it to roll on unless or until I see its price rise and/or the teerms change. Then and only then will I consider my options.

i'm pretty sure the price will increase once the 12 months are up, as it was a black friday deal.
i'm on the three online chat just now to confirm this.

Last edited:

chenks

Suspended
What is the signal coverage like where you live/work? Are you getting 5g etc?

Sounds like it suits you, what are you holiday plans for the coming year? Are you going somewhere that this roaming issue will have a major impact?

indoor 4G on Three is quite poor (at home anyway), although 4G outdoor is fine, and 5G is there in places.

EE, on the other hand seems to have better coverage in terms of indoor and outdoor.

the dilema is that my price will increase next month. so if i want to keep the free roaming then i'll need to take that hit. if i re-contract then the roaming charges will be applied when they kick in.

at the time when i signed up to Three, many years ago, the USP they had was the free roaming which no other network had.

finbaar

Go for a cheaper deal with lower data and add extra data when you need it. I'ts pointless paying for something all the time when you only use it occasionaly.

chenks

Suspended
Go for a cheaper deal with lower data and add extra data when you need it. I'ts pointless paying for something all the time when you only use it occasionaly.

I disagree. Each to their own though

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Why can’t you see what it is then recontract. Don’t you go on to a rolling 30 day contract at the end of your actual contract.

chenks

Suspended
Why can’t you see what it is then recontract. Don’t you go on to a rolling 30 day contract at the end of your actual contract.

I need to see if the price will revert back to the non discounted price. If it doesn’t then fine as I’ll keep my existing terms (ie no roaming charges). It was sold at the time as being a 12 month discounted price.

recontracting would result in the new terms being applied.

Downinja

I'm not sure contract law applies like you think it does in the UK.

In the US they have grandfather clauses that prevent changes to your contract (eg. Roaming). In the UK I suspect that if they wanted to change the contract they can, they just need to give you 30 days notice and the right to cancel without penalty.

If you had a shiny new iPhone 13 as part of the contract and they wanted to change it that would be a huge result.

Many moons ago I had a Samsung Omnia when Orange did a very similar thing (changed terms of contract), meant I could leave without penalty (that meant keeping the device), made a few hundred quid out of it at the time.

chenks

Suspended
I'm not sure contract law applies like you think it does in the UK.

In the US they have grandfather clauses that prevent changes to your contract (eg. Roaming). In the UK I suspect that if they wanted to change the contract they can, they just need to give you 30 days notice and the right to cancel without penalty.

If you had a shiny new iPhone 13 as part of the contract and they wanted to change it that would be a huge result.

Many moons ago I had a Samsung Omnia when Orange did a very similar thing (changed terms of contract), meant I could leave without penalty (that meant keeping the device), made a few hundred quid out of it at the time.

it's a sim only contract so there is no phone involved.

and i think you need to read up on what Three are doing, they have specifically said these new charges will only apply to new or re-contracting customers (for now anyway).

thanks for your "input" though.

Downinja

it's a sim only contract so there is no phone involved.

and i think you need to read up on what Three are doing, they have specifically said these new charges will only apply to new or re-contracting customers (for now anyway).

thanks for your "input" though.

1) stay with Three on the increased price once the minimum term expires which means i'll keep the existing terms of my contract and not get the £2 per day roaming applied to me, but be stuck in never being able to re-contract or change anything.
If they make the business decision to only apply the new T&Cs to new deals at this point then that would mean your existing contract won't have the new T&Cs, fine.

You seem to be under the impression that by keeping your existing contract that they can't, in future ,change the deal. On that point you are wrong.

I am glad my input is appreciated.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I'm currently with Three (sim only, unlimited data, voice and SMS) for £17pm (renewed by existing sim-only deal black friday deal last year).
the 12 months minimum term is due to expire next month when it will revert to the "normal" advertised price i assume (three don't make it very clear in your account what the non-discounted price is).

I originally joined Three when they were unique with the "Feel at Home/Go roam" product giving free roaming compared to other networks that didn't.
with Three now joining the others in adding back roaming charges this have given me a decision to make.

so i either

2) re-contract with Three on a re-negotiated price, but will get the roaming charges applied when they eventually kick in

3) jump ship and move to another network as Three no longer have a USP compared to all the rest.

unlimited data is pretty crucial for me, and although i may not use tons every month, some months i might and it's good to never have to worry about it when using it to play music or podcasts in the car, or when tethering or whatever.

if i was to move network it would probably be to EE (vodagone and O2 aren't a consideration as are MVNO's)

any thoughts?
I tied myself in for another 24 month contract last week. I'll get the free roaming for the duration of that 24 months.

Downinja

I tied myself in for another 24 month contract last week. I'll get the free roaming for the duration of that 24 months.
You most likely will, but you definitely aren't guaranteed;

Changes to terms and conditions

Phone and broadband providers can change the terms of a contract so long as they give you a month's notice.

If your provider increases your monthly price beyond what you agreed when you signed up, it should:

1. give you at least one month's notice of the price rise; and
  2. allow you to exit your contract without penalty if you choose to.
Sometimes your provider might raise the price of services which are outside of your regular monthly amount. This could include:

• roaming charges;
  • international calls;
  • calls to Directory Enquiries;
  • premium rate numbers; or
  • any other services where you’re charged on a ‘pay-per-use’ basis.

chenks

Suspended
If they make the business decision to only apply the new T&Cs to new deals at this point then that would mean your existing contract won't have the new T&Cs, fine.

i know that, and that's what i said in my original post

You seem to be under the impression that by keeping your existing contract that they can't, in future ,change the deal. On that point you are wrong.

at no point did i say or suggest that.
maybe try reading the opening post more thoroughly.

i said that if i re-contract NOW then the new charges will be part of the contract, but if i don't re-contract then they won't when my 12 months contract runs out.

chenks

Suspended
But I think I can then cancel my contract?

if it's deemed a material change, then you probably will be able to.
but it'll all be in the small print

chenks

Suspended

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
VIDEO: Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic unveils its 2022 OLED and Core LED TV collection