Three Colours Trilogy SE on DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Nov 2, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Wahey,

If any of you hae access to a copy of the lateste edition of "EMPIRE" magazine - the one with Harry Bloody Potter on the fromt - go to page 163 and you will see a nice advert for Kieslowski's superb "Three Colours Trilogy".

The release date is 29th October, so it should technically be out, but I haven't been able to locate a copy of it.

Does anyone have any more information on how the three films are being release, what extras there are, and how much the series costs, etc, etc, please?

I simply must get this set, at any cost, as my VHS editions are totally knackered from watching them so often!

Pooch

2. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,

We received the three discs in the office yesterday, although we haven't had time to get stuck into them yet. What I can tell you is that all three are anamorphically presented in the original aspect ratios with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. The extras include:

Blue - Krzysztof Kieslowski Masterclass/Interviews with Juliette Binoche, Jacques Witta (editor) and Marin Karmitz (producer)/excepts from the original soundtrack by Zbigniew Preisner/ Theatrical trailer

White - Krzysztof Kieslowski Masterclass/Making of... featurette/ Interviews with Julie Delpy and Marin Karmitz (producer)/excepts from the original soundtrack by Zbigniew Preisner/ Theatrical trailer

Red - Krzysztof Kieslowski Masterclass/Making of... featurette/Interviews with Irene Jacob, Jacques Witta (editor) and Marin Karmitz (producer)/excepts from the original soundtrack by Zbigniew Preisner/ Theatrical trailer

3. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it a polish bloke?

i rmember my sister watching one of the, cant remember which colour, i can only rmember an alfa 164 crahing into a tree and burning and a skateboarder seing it i think, don't think i watched much more than that, i was quite young.

are they any good?

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi There,

Ars - Yes, he was Polish. Sadly, the poor sod died a few years back. The man is still sorely missed by the foreign-language-movie community! :(

The film your sister saw, was the first one - "Blue", and is my personal favourite.

Beek - I simply have to get these DVD's!!!!! I love these films, so I must add them to my collection. If possible, can you give me an idea of the picture and sound quality, as well as the subtitle quality, please? And who is releasing them? Is it Metro Tartan, or some other firm?

Cheers,

Pooch

5. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,

Sorry, haven't actually had a chance to look at them yet (I've been sitting through the R2 Pearl Harbor for my sins!), so I've absolutely no idea what the transfer quality is like. However, Artificial Eye have put the discs out and judging from earlier releases they have taken more care with foreign films than many of the other indy companies in the UK.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Beek,

Thanks anyway. However, I went out to HMV today and bought all three on DVD, as I couldn't keep waiting!

I can confirm that the print quality is good. The sound is clear, but is not DD5.1, but a DD 5.0 downmix instead. The picture/print is good for a foreign language print, and is much clearer than any VHS or TV edition I've seen thus far! The colours look amazing!

The extras are actually far better than the label on the box makes-out, which is very unusual. You actually get about 45 minutes worth of documentaries, behind the scenes, and interview material, plus music from each of the respective soundtracks, AND trailers as well! So, the discs are definitely worth a purchase!

However, the only downside, appears to be a problem with the sound on "Three Colours Red". For reasons, I have yet to discover, the soundtrack is not the downmixed 5.0 I was expecting, but is only Stereo (i.e. just a left and right audio track, no centre/subwoofer channel).

I will be contacting Artifical Eye tomorrow morning, and will post the results when I get them.

Thanks Beek, for your help though!

Pooch