Threat to Brazilian rainforest

Steady- he's started emphasising with capitals. Colours and animations can't be far away.

All easier than a cohesive argument of course.

mrtbag said:
So the non hoax bit, is the fact losing the rainforest is bad.

The rest, is all the hoax bit. Yes?
listen the letter/ email / hoax call it what you will has served a very good purpose in drawing public awareness. I dont care if its 99% a hoax because I believe in the essential message it's giving out . In that sense it has value and should not be derided with such cavalier fashion as found in here.

la gran siete said:
listen the letter/ email / hoax

It was definitely an e-mail and a hoax, don't get fooled into thinking it's a letter as well.

la gran siete said:
call it what you will

No. I'll call it what it is. A hoax.

la gran siete said:
has served a very good purpose in drawing public awareness.

I think quite the opposite. Anybody who received this hoax e-mail, will possibly now take one look at an e-mail about the rainforest that is serious, and just discard it as another hoax. Therefore it has detracted attention away from the issue.

mrtbag said:
It was definitely an e-mail and a hoax, don't get fooled into thinking it's a letter as well.

No. I'll call it what it is. A hoax.

I think quite the opposite. Anybody who received this hoax e-mail, will possibly now take one look at an e-mail about the rainforest that is serious, and just discard it as another hoax. Therefore it has detracted attention away from the issue.
its known as hair splitting

Then again:
Commentary:
"The "project" mentioned in this email petition was shelved by the Brazilian government back in May 2000. Therefore, signing and forwarding this petition is pointless.

Even if the project had been approved, it is improbable that an email petition could have any effect what so ever. These lists of names rarely get to where they are supposed to, nor are they taken in any way seriously by politicians or any one else in authority.

The best place for these email petitions is the "Deleted Items" folder of your email client. To reiterate, adding your name to this petition will do nothing to prevent the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest. Those concerned about deforestation can have much more of an impact by joining an environmental group, or perhaps even starting a real pen and paper petition that will be eventually submitted to a real politician."

Write-up by Brett M.Christensen

"

Quote:The fact is that the vast Amazon Rainforest, which covers an area larger than all of Europe and produces one-fifth of the world’s oxygen, is shrinking at an accelerated rate. An estimated 25-thousand square kilometers disappeared in 2002, or an area about the size of Belgium. And there’s every indication that at least that much will be lost again – if not more – when final numbers are tallied up at the end of 2003.

Indeed, hearing that destruction of the Amazon can still be reversed may sound rather utopian to the average onlooker who reads what he comes up with after that simple search we mentioned above. The threats to the Amazon rainforest are numerous, serious, and they appear to be mounting – expanding not just because of human greed and a severely inept and insufficient Brazilian government presence, but also because of new climate challenges and global market demands. Technology is also a factor, as it permits greater “efficiency” in the clearing process.

Delving into the Amazon jungle as a topic these days will yield everything from age-old slash-and-burn land clearing for subsistence farming purposes and illegal logging, to huge high-tech soybean plantations advancing on virgin forest. Rules and restrictions are generally thrown out the window, and there are never enough inspectors to enforce them in the first place. And when there are, corruption takes over and the free for all continues.

In the past, gold prospectors were blamed for polluting jungle rivers with the mercury they use to separate gold pellets from silt, but now we find – and Dr. Fearnside explains this in detail – that building dams can be an even more dangerous ingredient in the Amazon’s mercury problem. That bit of information only adds to existing concerns, because Brazil’s current federal administration is bound and determined to pursue increased development in the Amazon region. Its plans include several major projects in the rainforest, including, yes, new dams and highways soon to be paved.

Still, Prof. Fearnside believes the Amazon is not doomed. We caught up with him in Manaus, and he agreed to try and put today’s threatened Amazon Rainforest into perspective for InfoBrazil.com’s global audience. Questions were prepared by InfoBrazil editor and founder Adhemar Altieri, and answered by e-mail. We thank Prof. Fearnside for taking the time to examine so many different, but intertwined Amazon-related topics and perspectives.

Dr. Philip Fearnside: Grave threats exist and must be faced. These include deforestation by a variety of actors – logging, forest fires and, in the not-too-far future, potential for substantial forest mortality from climate change. Although there are also positive developments in legislation and environmental institutions, these advances are invariably slower than the escalation of threats. The important thing is to avoid fatalism. Many people react to Amazonian problems by throwing in the towel. They presume that the Amazon forest will be destroyed no matter what they do so they may as well worry about something else. But what happens to the forest is very much a matter of human decisions, including both those affecting the direct destruction with chainsaws and the indirect threats such as climate change. Fatalism is the most dangerous enemy of the forest.

quote:This Brazilian plan is unfortunately NOT an internet hoax. I asked
my good friend Prof. Gilberto Jannuzzi at University of Campinas in
Sao Paolo. Sorry for the bad news. See below. regards, -- Ashok

you really don't 'understand' do you

the EMAIL is THE hoax - it is a CHAIN EMAIL

'the Brazillian plan' was real but shelved 5 years ago - Chain mails usually put something reasonably true - and then 'spice it up' with a 'aload of rubbish'

- the whole point of chain emails is to propagate themselves like a virus - to see how far they can spread, how many email servers they can flood etc etc.

We have pointed out already all the flaws in the email - what a chain mail is - the fact that the bill it mentions is defunct and was wholey inaccurate.

They do not achieve anything other than clogging up email servers.

There are plenty of REAL campaigns using FACTS to alert the world to environmental issues.
I doubt there is a single person on this site that was unaware of the issues of deforestation in the Amazon - we see Pop stars on TV talking about it, we are taught about it in schools, we see documentaries and news items about it on TV and magazines.

----- why can you not grasp the 'facts'

as for the wider picture - I read science journals and publications, study the World news and have a keen interest in environmental issues. If for a single minute you believe that my negative comments about the email you posted in some way indacte that I am in favour of ignoreing the issue , you are sadly mistaken.

facts are 'the truth' - I am honoured to be assocaited with dealing in them

la gran siete, you really are making yourself look the fool. Do yourself a favour, and admit you were taken in by a hoax!

mcfarfs said:
la gran siete, you really are making yourself look the fool. Do yourself a favour, and admit you were taken in by a hoax!

its imperative that I stand my ground otherwise there is no sport. :D Fool knave, Moi???

Ethics Gradient said:
you really don't 'understand' do you

the EMAIL is THE hoax - it is a CHAIN EMAIL

'the Brazillian plan' was real but shelved 5 years ago - Chain mails usually put something reasonably true - and then 'spice it up' with a 'aload of rubbish'

- the whole point of chain emails is to propagate themselves like a virus - to see how far they can spread, how many email servers they can flood etc etc.

We have pointed out already all the flaws in the email - what a chain mail is - the fact that the bill it mentions is defunct and was wholey inaccurate.

They do not achieve anything other than clogging up email servers.

There are plenty of REAL campaigns using FACTS to alert the world to environmental issues.
I doubt there is a single person on this site that was unaware of the issues of deforestation in the Amazon - we see Pop stars on TV talking about it, we are taught about it in schools, we see documentaries and news items about it on TV and magazines.

----- why can you not grasp the 'facts'

as for the wider picture - I read science journals and publications, study the World news and have a keen interest in environmental issues. If for a single minute you believe that my negative comments about the email you posted in some way indacte that I am in favour of ignoreing the issue , you are sadly mistaken.

facts are 'the truth' - I am honoured to be assocaited with dealing in them

Look I'm williong to concede that it may be a hoax if only because so many in here scream on that it is.What I'm saying is that in itself matters not ( even "the load of rubbish" you speak of)what does is the basic message therein namely;
a) deforestation is taking place
b) to make way for cattle and to grow GM soya a cash crop used to feed Western cattle .
c) the soil is of poor quality( most of ther goodness lies within the canopy)
d) despite assurances from the Brazilain government I doubt there will be much control as the oligarchs are very much a law unto themselves.
e) valuable sources of medicine may well be lost forever
What this "hoax" does for me is to draw attention to a very real problem in that neck of the woods Amazon or no Amazon. Thousands of hectares being turned over for the cultivation of GM soya , crosscontamination with surrounding weeds creating "superweeds" which are resistant to glyphosate which means that ,more and more noxious chemicals are being used to fight these weeds which in turn are having catastrophic effects on the local population.The rainforest is only part of the equation.
Incidentally I havent myself sent this email by the normal route just simply done what I have done here and posted it in other chatgroupos to gauge the reaction.

Wow - look what I started.....

It's like the Faroe Islands all over again...

andrewdolphin said:
Wow - look what I started.....

It's like the Faroe Islands all over again...

Don't you mean the Falkland Islands? Or Las Malvínas as LGS would probably refer to them as.

la gran siete said:
or even Les Malouines. :)

Argentina’s name for the Islands is ‘Las Malvinas’, this is a hispanisation of ‘Iles Malouines’, said to be after St. Malo in Brittany, home of the early French settlers.

So he is correct, that you being an 'Argie' would call it Las Malvinas, not Les Malouines, as this is the french settlers version.

mrtbag said:
Argentina’s name for the Islands is ‘Las Malvinas’, this is a hispanisation of ‘Iles Malouines’, said to be after St. Malo in Brittany, home of the early French settlers.

So he is correct, that you being an 'Argie' would call it Las Malvinas, not Les Malouines, as this is the french settlers version.
I'm fully aware of that fact but thank you for reminding me .
Lord Falkland first colonised one island whilst the French had the other. The latter were subsequently displaced by the Spanish and then Brits left not to return until the 1840s. Argentina by then a sovereign nation, had replaced Spain as the owners of those islands but they were kicked out by the UK . Ever since then they have claimed sovereignty over them.To a man thay believe they are rightfully theirs.i would have some sympathy but for the fact they also lay claim to south Georgia, south Shetlands, south Orkneys and Sandwich isles plus the peninsula sector of the Antartica. They have absolutely no justifiable claim over those whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom