THREAD for SAMSUNG RPTV's 1080i ISSUES

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Stedy76, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Stedy76

Stedy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I'm trying to get an Idea, of everyone’s issues with 1080i and devices that output 1080i (e.g. Xbox 360) and do not work with Samsung RPTV's.

Me First:

MODEL: SP42Q2HL1X

PURCHASE DATE: 03/03/06

1080i ISSUE: Xbox 360

CONTACT WITH SAMSUNG: three e-mails (no reply), two phone calls (Koreans are working with Microsoft) one letter (reply from S. Edge - Customer Service Officer, paraphrasing previous phone call)

CONTACT WITH MICROSOFT: Email sent to Xbox 360 Support (no reply)

CONTACT WITH OTHER: EiCTA (Samsung are using the terms HDTV on various official websites and search engines for models that do not meet the requirements.) Watchdog (no reply)

ADDITIONAL INFO: Very happy with TV for price paid (e.g. picture quality) initially bought for it's specifications from Samsung that it was a HDTV with 1080i compatibility, solely for my Xbox 360.

Could everyone posting try to keep it structured like above?

Many thanks to everyone that is willing to share there issues.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Just a couple of comments on the above:

a) you don't say exactly what your "issue" is - just which source causes it
    b) as this TV has a native panel resolution of 720, I'm not convinced of any gain by driving it with a 1080 signal; it will only have to downscale it. Better, I'd have thought, to drive it at 720p - that way it hasn't got any work to do. I have to admit to being on unsure ground here, though.

3. Stedy76

Stedy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello LV426, My issue's with Samsung are vast, Before ordering my SP42Q2HL1X I searched for every available specifications/info on the mentioned RPTV via there website, and they are Listing it under HDTV, and include the words HDTV in there specifications as well as the words 1080i compatible (it dosn't support 780p) and once the TV arrived, My Xbox 360 set at 1080i, will not work with this TV and Samsung have said it's a KNOWN issue?

Just trying to get an Idea of where everyones at, what stage there at with Samsung etc.

4. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    As long as they aren't saying "HD Ready", they aren't breaking the EICTA guidelines. "HDTV" means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

Lame distinction I know, but that's the way it is.

5. Stedy76

Stedy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Arfster

On page 26 of the "HD TV" Logo license agreement Published by the EiCTA, it reads:

"Referencing "HDTV" In text

In text reference may be made to the fact that a "hdtv" Television Receiver complies with the "HDTV" Minimum Requirements."

The only HD capability the sp42q2hl1x has is that it's 1080i compatible (and that doesn't even work!...well not with the Xbox 360 anyways.

Samsung are misleading customers, breaking laws and giving inadequate Customer service to "us" the customer who has bought into there Brand in good faith?

6. mrwicked

mrwicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its a bitch but this tv will run 1080i at 50hz, but the Xbox 360 needs it to run at 1080i (60hz) which this tv cant.

7. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ah OK. But does that refer to the use of the EICTA "HD Ready" logo, or is there a separate HDTV logo? Also, is this the same document in force at the time? As I recall they issued new hdtv logo guidelines this month.

More generally, I certainly agree they're attempting to mislead customers, as are several other companies pulling the same trick. It's really just a question of whether that reaches to the level where it's legally enforceable.

Anyway, good luck :)

8. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I had that TV and i dont feel i was mislead.

It can display 1080i images albiet at 50Hz so it can carry the HDTV logo.

It cant properly run and progressive scan inputs from my experience and doesnt have an hdmi input so it cant carry the HD Ready logo.

And while we're on the subject the picture quality is absolutly terrible on it, i thought this was just because i had upgraded from a 28" to a 42" and a drop in quality was the norm, but now ive got the sony 50" and the picture is amazing.

My advice, bin the sammy and get something that is HD Ready

9. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just today ive had my that exact same model samsung picked up by comet. after a lenghtly argument about the tv not being fit for what its supposed to do.

basically all the info u need is in this thread. thread

i got a refund and spent my money else where, on the 50 inch sony, which is superb!

10. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Great minds and all that :)

I sold mine to my wee brother, he only watched the odd DVD and plays the ps2 on it so it does him a treat and i got £500 towards my Sony 50"