thoughts on yamaha s540

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cirdan, Dec 28, 2004.

1. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im thinking of passing in my current player, a pioneer 370. its a good player but a bit noisey, not too bad but noticeable. its probably down to its build which is ok but not solid. so i thought of getting a player that was over £100, might be built a bit better. i have read some good things about the yamaha s540. its come down from around £120 to £80 in the last few days. i have a yamaha amp so thought they might go well together, i know the player is over a year old know, but that doesnt bother me i just want a good solid player thats quiet.

so any thoughts please.

2. ritesh

ritesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had it for many months about a year ago, before giving it to a mate....

Search for my posts on the DBA forum in Australia....

But just briefly:
    - does both PAL and NTSC progressive scan
    - sound and picture quality are both excellent
    - colors were pretty good too
    - it played EVERY disk of mine, which subsequently my flirtations with 2200, 2900 and 2910 have not been able to achieve !
    - About the only con on the PQ is some jaggies which showed themselves up at times....
    - Build quality is pretty decent for its price, looks much more higher-end

It had two minor quirks:
    - Subtitles used to come up by themselves and thus you would need to press the subtitle button on the remote to turn them off
    - The loader had a bit of a whirring sound at times

Hope it helps,

Ritesh

3. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks.

my pioneer has something similar with subtitles. not on every dvd but subtitles can just come on automatically wether selected or not, not a problem just a bit odd.

i must admit it does look well built, i think it was around £170 when it came out. so it does seem like a dearer machine.

as the price is know £79 its hardly a great risk but i still thought id get some feedback, so cheers.