Thoughts on Windows Phone 8 Announcement (20/6)

SHATNERSTACTIC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the Verge's live blog.

Our live blog of Microsoft's Windows Phone Summit starts today at 9AM PT, 12PM ET | The Verge

I'm hoping for a revamped notification system, my biggest bugbear with WP7. Better multi-tasking would be nice and simplified access to settings / options too. Opening up the spec to bring it inline with other platforms is almost guaranteed. Super hi-res, multi-core devices should make a much more attractive proposition for Joe Average who tends to shop by specifications.

Fingers crossed for plenty of interesting features :thumbsup:

They just presented 8 Key areas rather than any depth :

1. New hardware options for ODMs
2. IE10 browser
3. Better development tools, easier to port both desktop and iOS/Android apps
4. NFC technology built into operator secure SIM
5. Mobile Wallet
6. Nokia Maps replaces Bing
7. Busines & Enterprise solutions (Security / remote device management)
8. More customisation options on start screen tiles

Extra notes
H/W : Multi-core support, New screen resolutions WVGA (15:9) WXGA (15:9) 720p (16:9), Expandable memory via microSD (usable for apps and media)
IE10 using same html rendering as desktop version, benchmarks better than S3, 4S (ios6) and HTC One S

Not bad I guess. Really just need to get more big names into the marketplace now.

Quite happy with what came out of it. Only thing is, which I suppose is my own Fault was that I upgraded to the Lumia 900. I either try to sell it and buy a new phone with the hardware or keep it for a while. Will wait and see :thumbsup:.

I think Windows Phone 8 looks great... But I still I wanted to know more about Windows 7.8 though. Will it have IE10, will it have Wallets, will it have VoIP built in even if I can only make a call and not accept one?

I hope Microsoft see to is that Windows 7.8 get many of the new apps and that new users are not left out in the dark.

By the time Window 8 comes out I am sure I'll will be bored of my Lumia 800... although with a UI update I could ride it out even longer. There is no need to feel disappointed, but I kind fell a bit disappointed.

I guess I need to remind myself that a phone is two year tech at best and the old phone does still have loads to offer.

But it was great the way Microsoft kept all the old phones updated at the same time. They had a lovely ecco system going there... I dont think that will continue in the same way with WP8.

Last edited:
The only losers are Lumia 900 owners. Everything else looks great.

Windows Phone 7.8 will keep things interesting for existing owners (even more for Nokia owners), at least until WP8 is a realistic upgrade for them. The new functionality and support addresses pretty much all of the complaints against Windows Phone and are actually usable, relevant improvements rather than shiny tat.

For developers it seems good news too, with ease of development and co-existence with Windows 8 and in-app purchases, which can only be a good thing for everyone.

It's all good news as far as I'm concerned.

Come on Nokia, please include Nokia Drive in all WP devices as it's better than the TomTom I had on my iPhone and Google Nav.

Good to know its much easier to post IOS apps to Wp8, hopefully we'll get more high end apps and games appearing this fall, this was the biggest drawback imo for Windows Phone.

Last edited:
Had a quick skim through and sounds as if it could be really good. Now all I need is a date :rolleyes:

I'm due my upgrade around Sept so could be nicely timed for me :cool:

SHATNERSTACTIC said:
They just presented 8 Key areas rather than any depth :

1. New hardware options for ODMs
2. IE10 browser
3. Better development tools, easier to port both desktop and iOS/Android apps
4. NFC technology built into operator secure SIM
5. Mobile Wallet
6. Nokia Maps replaces Bing
7. Busines & Enterprise solutions (Security / remote device management)
8. More customisation options on start screen tiles

Extra notes
H/W : Multi-core support, New screen resolutions WVGA (15:9) WXGA (15:9) 720p (16:9), Expandable memory via microSD (usable for apps and media)
IE10 using same html rendering as desktop version, benchmarks better than S3, 4S (ios6) and HTC One S

Not bad I guess. Really just need to get more big names into the marketplace now.

Had a quick scan of your post, you can also add real multi tasking to the list, ie android style, moving away from the naff iOS method of freezing apps.

I thought it was a bit of a marketing fail with the 7.8 for old phones. They should just have done what apple does, tell people they are getting version 8 minus feature x,y,z etc

Oh? Did they announce custom notification sounds? :laugh:

Funnily enough I made a similar comment on two forums and the responses as to why my comment is wrong have been brilliant - custom sounds and coloured tiles. If this is all that's left for Windows Phone to worry about, Microsoft are doing well.

Yeah its funny, but people have been really vocal about notification sounds. I guess that the the little sound effect people set have a placebo effect. They are adding more colours as I understand it...

The only other thing would be larger fonts. Some of the font in the OS are tiny, just take a look at a phone number in your contacts, its small then a match head in hight. It would be nice if Microsoft added an option to double the size of all the fronts on the main UI.

It these features get put into 7.8 I feel a lot of people will be left happy with their device and feel as if they did indeed bit a big upgrade.

I seen comments on people complaining about no file transfer with bluetooth mentioned and slating only now adding SD cards. I can't recall the last time I needed to transfer a file via bluetooth. As for the SD cards then the iphone still doesn't support them and no one bats an eyelid.

Even the sounds how much do you really need, you can change a ringtone so what else do you need. The only thing I can think is you can choose any mp3 and select a 40secs section actually on the phone would be cool - saves editing a file specifically.

I'm actually happy with what they've come out with. Only thing we need is some actual phones and dates to release them.

i am 90 per cent certain i will be ditching android and kissing google goodbye when the phones for this operating system are ready. looks to be a pretty good upgrade to me and rectifies the few things that have put me off windows phones so far.

the ultimate test though will be the phones themselves. assuming they are ok i will take the leap.

My only concerns is the release a full set at the start. We don't want to all buy the phones that come out to get told 4 weeks later of an improved spec is released.

If they are doing dual and quad then get them out at the same time so you can choose your preference. You don't want months and months after launch for the better specs to come out.

WildeKarde said:
My only concerns is the release a full set at the start. We don't want to all buy the phones that come out to get told 4 weeks later of an improved spec is released.

If they are doing dual and quad then get them out at the same time so you can choose your preference. You don't want months and months after launch for the better specs to come out.

Isn't this what all phone makers do? Also didn't apple do the same with the very late white iPhone 4, then release the 4S a few months later.

It seems HTC will be launching a range of differently specced WP8 handsets (one at Android flagship proportions) if this information is correct.

HTC's Windows Phone 8 roadmap: 'Zenith' flagship, 'Accord' midrange, and 'Rio' entry-level models | The Verge

Last edited:
Isn't this what all phone makers do? Also didn't apple do the same with the very late white iPhone 4, then release the 4S a few months later.

No it was just not only offering dual core as the release phones when they know the quads are just about ready as well. iphone has the type of buyers who will take a hit on selling a new phone to get a new coloured button :D

It seems HTC will be launching a range of differently specced WP8 handsets (one at Android flagship proportions) if this information is correct.

HTC's Windows Phone 8 roadmap: 'Zenith' flagship, 'Accord' midrange, and 'Rio' entry-level models | The Verge

I'm thinking current One line up with new OS :D
Maybe not a bad thing really for HTC. I'm interested if we'll get samsung and nokia with announcements soon.

Hopefully, I upgraded SWMBO to a One X a few weeks back and despite reports to the contrary I was really impressed with how well built it is. I'd certainly consider HTC for my next Windows Phone, although I just love the design of the Lumia so it's WP8 equivalent I have high hopes for...

It's shaping up to be a congested Q4, with the spectre of a new iPhone looming, likely all the manufacturers with ranges of WP8 devices plus Nexus and Note refreshes on Android.

The new iphone coming out Q4 could actually help as HTC, Samsung and Nokia will want to get their best hardware possible out to attract buyers. Well thats what I'm hoping for :devil:

Loving this concept..

Attachments

• microsoft_surface_phone_8_by_yronimus-d54trfa.jpg
    microsoft_surface_phone_8_by_yronimus-d54trfa.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 270
That does look a bit good!

That does look a bit good!

Hopefully the likes of Samsung, HTC and Nokia pay attention to some of these concepts and give us some really high class hardware and not just and Android clone.

Loving this concept..

I really like the look of that. Here's hoping that's the design they use as I think it would sell huge numbers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom