Thoughts on this Minimalist Living Room Layout?

eldarial

New to this and would appreciate any insight from those more clued up!

We've just moved in and the house needs gutting so we want to make the most of putting wires into walls etc while we can.

Rough idea of what we want to achieve:

The plan is to expand the existing chimney forward a couple inches, and widen it by approx. 60 cm on the right, with a false wall. This would allow a bigger TV and storage on the right hand side.
We plan to recess the TV and have in-wall fronts (kids dogs etc).
The back wall (behind sofa) is solid so will probably look at on-walls for that.

Other half has wanted a wood burner since forever but have managed to convince her this would work well to the left hand side to heat the whole room 😅
Aesthetically I think it works better than a wood burner and TV competing as the focal point!

Cabinet on the right side of chimney/false wall should be wide/deep enough for a small data rack (planning to run CAT6 to various rooms from here), in addition to the receiver etc. Sub may go in the corner or under a coffee table somewhere.

Anything I'm missing or obvious pitfalls to our plan?
Will the surround speakers be suitable where they are? (near wall has a window basically the full size of the wall so not an option to mount on there).

Thanks for reading!

Countjedi

I do like the idea and it looks very neat.

Worth double checking the size to distance ratio of the TV, only suggest due to its something I'm considering on my garden build.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Other half has wanted a wood burner since forever but have managed to convince her this would work well to the left hand side to heat the whole room 😅
A wood-burner will have to be some distance from anything combustible, and also from the plastered finish, so it won't be able to go exactly where you've shown it.

Anything I'm missing or obvious pitfalls to our plan?
Will the surround speakers be suitable where they are? (near wall has a window basically the full size of the wall so not an option to mount on there).
Yeah you cab have the surround there. Can they be angled towards you at all?

And I expect you'd be better with 3 identical speakers for the front 3, all just under the TV, all upright.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hello! Good luck on your project :)

You may want to consider the placement of the rear right speaker - it appears on the design to be very close to the next wall which could leave some interesting reflections.

You may find that the Silver FX speakers are a good shout for the rears - but again - you need to leave a min. of 12" from neighbouring walls.

You also have the option of going 2 in-ceiling speakers too to give you a nice 5.1.2 setup.

Are you going for a sub? Is it a faux wall you're building? You could get a nice in-wall sub there too.

eldarial

A wood-burner will have to be some distance from anything combustible, and also from the plastered finish, so it won't be able to go exactly where you've shown it.
Wood burner installers didn't seem too concerned provided we have fire resistant plasterboard around the chimney/false wall - though I will double check with them. Admittedly I don't recall the distance they advised and the 3D image above is not necessarily accurate in that regard :)
Yeah you cab have the surround there. Can they be angled towards you at all?

And I expect you'd be better with 3 identical speakers for the front 3, all just under the TV, all upright.

New plan is to put satellites for the surrounds but higher up, closer to ceiling, pointing down.

3 Identical for LCR is probably the way we'll go. Why would you advise putting all three under the TV? I thought the common approach is to ensure centre is at ear-level and L/R are some distant apart

eldarial

Hello! Good luck on your project :)

You may want to consider the placement of the rear right speaker - it appears on the design to be very close to the next wall which could leave some interesting reflections.

You may find that the Silver FX speakers are a good shout for the rears - but again - you need to leave a min. of 12" from neighbouring walls.

You also have the option of going 2 in-ceiling speakers too to give you a nice 5.1.2 setup.

Are you going for a sub? Is it a faux wall you're building? You could get a nice in-wall sub there too.
Thanks!

As above we're now looking at small satellite speakers to put up in the ceiling corners. The room is quite small and think being on the wall directly behind seating they'll be too intrusive.

Do you think .2 atmos is worthwhile in that setup?

Yes we want to build a faux wall - though the chimney is a party wall so nervous about using an in-wall sub. It's quite possible the sub will only get minimal use anyway. It's very quiet where we live and have just moved in so keen to not annoy the neighbours 😰

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Wood burner installers didn't seem too concerned provided we have fire resistant plasterboard around the chimney/false wall - though I will double check with them.
Or you can check the manual of the fire you have (or are getting).

New plan is to put satellites for the surrounds but higher up, closer to ceiling, pointing down.
Sounds good.

3 Identical for LCR is probably the way we'll go. Why would you advise putting all three under the TV? I thought the common approach is to ensure centre is at ear-level and L/R are some distant apart
Yes, centre at ear level is good, but are you suggesting that will be above the TV, or somehow playing through the TV? I assume having the centre as close to ear level as possible will mean it's below the TV, and then I'd suggest having the L&R at the same height.

Sapphire Blue

I’m a minimalist to a certain extent but I like warmth in decor. I would try not to make it sterile. I hope this helps, without specifics.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom