Thoughts on this latest JVC widescreen?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rupbert, Aug 23, 2002.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey guys, the AV-28R25 is not a bad widescreen at all (despite the washed out RGB problems).

JVC have released an updated version of this, the AV-28X25 which has many new features, the main one being 100hz DigiPure and Nicam...

http://193.121.210.231/JvcCons/products/ProductDetail.php?ProductID=AV28X25EKS&Country=Gbr&Lang=En

As its so new there are no reviews of it, or none I have found anyway.

Any thoughts, particularily squirrel god?

I know you like the Sony LS60 very much, and it is the same price as this new JVC, however many people including myself prefer the actual look of the JVC design. Obviously though we still want the best quality pictures available :D

Cheers,

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I preferred the look of the JVC design as well. Until I got the AV28R25 home and released that the legs are made of thin poles of metal with cheap and flimsy snap on plastic coverings. The JVC photographs better than the Sony, but the Sony looks better in the flesh - at least to me anyway. I would never prefer one TV over another just because it looked better though. I bought the Sony because of the spec it had and the demos I'd seen, not because of its looks. If you buy a TV merely because it looks aesthetically pleasing to you, you will more often than not be disappointed.

I don't know anything about that particular JVC TV though I'm afraid, but it does say it has NTSC progressive scan which would be great for R1 DVDs if you have a DVD player with component outputs. But I've never been keen on the 100Hz on JVC TVs though and neither have the professional reviewers. Perhaps JVC will get it right this time. Even so, I prefer the contrast range and clarity on the LS60. Also, the LS60 has "pure 100Hz" only which is also what I prefer - I don't like the overprocessed look of the additional digital processing you get with most other 100Hz TVs (if it could be turned off, then I would have to do that, but I would then wonder why I paid the extra for it in the first place).

We all have our own preferences though. The best thing to do is get a demo of the two TVs in store and go with whatever you prefer (make sure you check the RGB feeds).

3. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Squirrel :D

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,299
    Just be wary of one thing re NTSC Progressive. The TV doesn´t appear to have Component Video Inputs so must be doing the de-interlacing internally. I don´t think it can accept a Progressive Scan signal from a dvd player.

5. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The LS60 is the on to get then, but I will have to buy a nice new stand as well (I really hate the one supplied).

Have to save up a few more months though :(

Empiredirect sell it for £630, + £45 for delivery, well over my budget :(