Question Thoughts on this 4x4 HDMI MATRIX SY-MUHD-44

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Juggi, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking at a HDMI matrix for home set up and seen this by SY Electronics based in the UK.
    Model is SY-MUHD-44
    Page SY Electronics

Thanks

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    They need to work on their website (from my mobile at least)!

Are you suggesting we buy it or asking if anybody would recommend it? You have a tag of question so I guess the latter?

3. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On my mobile their website works better in landscape mode better!

Well I know a guy selling it brand new and wondered if someone knows or can read the specs and advise me To buy or not.

Thanks again

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    It depends what you want to achieve. The instruction manual seems clear as to what it does

http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...9f4f2b173237bcfc4424/MUHD-xx Manual-V2518.pdf

Does that do what you want to do? Are you expecting it to record non HDCP inputs on a DVR connected to an output for example? Hopefully not as that wouldn’t be something to discuss here. It is sold in the UK and seems clearly to allow non HDCP signals to be displayed on AV display equipment on the outputs. That I think is ok. It is aimed at more commercial uses but maybe you want to use it at home.

Point is what do you want it to do - and of course I have no idea of the source as it is a guy you know selling something brand new available from a official source in the UK. Presumably if it is cheap there are a few reasons why. Also presumably you have checked and are happy with who you are buying off?

Also there is a cables and switches forum which may be a better place for this - there have been matrix questions and answers there in the past.

5. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Report your own post and ask for it to be moved.

Tha one isn’t 4K capable so as it says 1080p in and out. If that’s what you want then that one is fine

Also bear in mind these are wired. They need HDMI cables in and out. Having four TVs to display things all over the place is useless if you need long HDMI cables between the inputs and matrix, and matrix and displays. With standard HDMI in and out technology you will struggle over 5 metre cable lengths - yes some 10 and even 15 metre cables will work but it is stretching the technology.

That first one claims a boost as standard for 15meter output cables. Don’t forget that will do nothing to help a PS 4 output to the matrix 15 meters away.

To extend cable lengths you need more technology and money. If you are happy to shell out then go for it.

7. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have run cat6 cables around the house forgot to mention

8. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    All that needs is a monitor on the DVR output? Most use an app and mobile device to monitor and control. If you want a monitor I suggest a cheap PC monitor would do? But why not use an app and use the TVs for TV things?

9. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes good idea could I install the cctv app on my Sony laptop

10. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    So you are also looking at HDMI over cat 6? Different kettle of fish and different technology. Post #9 here might help

Cat6 HDMI extender receiver.

11. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Usually the CCTV DVR has LAN or internet based access from a laptop. The app tends to be for mobile devices.

12. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or would the 1st matrix I mentioned in the post which is 4k will split the pictures 3 tv’s are 1080p and 1 4k tv automatically?

13. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I can only read the manual and that says any input can be sent to any output. 4K in should come out as 4K.

These won’t fix the long cable issue and you need to think about what you want to do. The matrix needs you to be where it is to change an input to an output. From the front controls or a remote. The remote IR extender is wired and still limited. If you are watching say the PS 4 in another room you can’t change to say Sky from that room for unless that is where the matrix or the wired IR extender is.

Anyway you want HDMI over cat 6 first and foremost it seems. Relying wholly on advice here may not get you what you want. Your needs are complicated so maybe get an AV technician to look at your desired setup and recommend things that will do what you want. I suspect you will be cheaper buying three more of each input device....

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    'It’s home use I have 3 tv’s that are 1080p and 1 4k 58” Panasonic which is 3 years old now I have sky q 2tb box, Apple TV Ps4 and cctv to be connected' - first question has to be 'Is a Matrix the correct solution for you?'.

SKY Q - a multi-room subscription plus 3 x Mini Box's would seem the obvious 'fit'.

ATV - an ATV 4K for the primary Zone plus a 4th Gen ATV local to each of the secondary Zone TV's where you need ATV seems a good fit.

PS4 - will you use that anywhere other than the Primary Zone.

CCTV - if you have an 'aerial' system you should be able to integrate the CCTV image into that system.

HDMI Matrix - will need to support 4K UHD with HDCP 2.2 and possibly HDR if you want to support the latest Source devices.

HDMI Matrix - other than a very few high-end 'modular' units you cannot Input 4K UHD (HDCP2.2) and then simultaneously Output 4K UHD (HDCP 2.2) in some Zones and a down-converted 1080p (HDCP 1.4) signal in other Zones without adding additional hardware in the Secondary Zones.

HDMI over CAT Matrix - will be required for 4K UHD and or 1080p if your cable runs are longer than 8m (4K UHD) or 15m (1080p).

Joe

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  15. Juggi

Juggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks for feedback answers