Thoughts on the LG 43UN81006LB?

jamski07

Morning all.

I've read a few threads on here on TV's at this size, but think prices may have come down on the 2020 models, so they now might be a better buy?

Space constraints, and overall size of the room means a 43" is about as big as we can go.

Main considerations are overall picture quality, viewing at a slight angle, maybe 45 degrees.

Smart functions I'm not fussed about as we use an echo tv cube.

At least 3 HDMI sockets, ideally 4.

Will be used for gaming.

The LG 43UN81006LB seems to tick all the boxes, any thoughts or other considerations? We also prefer a central stand for aesthetic cabling reasons. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I've read a few threads on here on TV's at this size, but think prices may have come down on the 2020 models, so they now might be a better buy?
Not really. Prices are still on the high side. You can take a look at last years model which closely resembles the UN8100 you picked out to see the kind of price trend you can expect: LG 43UM7500 (TVs)

Usually Black Friday is the first time you should consider buying a TV each year, but the very best deals are grabbing last years model before they sell out in clearance. This usually happens in spring each year.
Space constraints, and overall size of the room means a 43" is about as big as we can go.
Unfortunately manufacturers don't make anything but low end TVs at smaller sizes now. So you definitely want to spend as little as possible at this size. This is a particular blow with HDR, since TVs that are truly capable of displaying HDR start at about 49" and cost between 800-1200.
Main considerations are overall picture quality, viewing at a slight angle, maybe 45 degrees.
45 degrees is quite an angle for an LCD TV. You may want to look at Sony models instead at that kind of angle. This is decent value and a discounted 2019 model: SONY BRAVIA KD43XG8096BU 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant

Sony TVs are more expensive than LG and represent worse value for money generally, but they have the edge with viewing angles which will be important at 45º.

jamski07

Thanks very much. Am I wrong to think that because our old LG is ok at the angle it’s sometimes viewed at, that a new one will be too? The old one is as equally at the budget end of the spectrum, and at least 6 years old if not more.

Dodgexander

Take a look at the viewing angle video's here: Sony X800G vs LG UM7300 Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Viewing angles are certainly decent on LGs, better than TVs using VA panels, but they aren't quite as good as Sony models. No idea compared to your current LG, it could be entirely different to their TVs today.

jamski07

Thanks very much. I’ll take a look. What panel is it all the LG TVs use?

Dodgexander

LG use their own IPS panels.
Sony tend to use IPS panels from a company called BOE and tend to do a little better with viewing angles.

TVs with VA panels have terrible viewing angles and definitely shouldn't be considered. These are usually (but not always) Samsung, Hisense and TCL.

jamski07

Brilliant, thank you. Having just conducted an incredibly accurate, and scientific experiment, my wife sits at somewhere between 35 and 40 degrees to the TV. 👍

jamski07

I’m definitely a layman! 😂

Dodgexander

I’m definitely a layman! 😂
I meant your wife, but hey ;) a lot of whats discussed in depth doesn't apply to everyone. Many people don't even notice the bad viewing angles on TVs that I know come with bad viewing angles. But this is after all an enthusiast forum.

You'll be more than okay with the LG I think.

jamski07

I meant your wife, but hey ;) a lot of whats discussed in depth doesn't apply to everyone. Many people don't even notice the bad viewing angles on TVs that I know come with bad viewing angles. But this is after all an enthusiast forum.

You'll be more than okay with the LG I think.

Hello again. I'm still looking, and wondering if you can advise on the difference between the other LG and this one, apart from the number of HDMI sockets? Think you might get the fancy remote with the more expensive one, but we use the SkyQ remote for everything anyway. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

They all have the same picture quality. Some of the higher tier ones come with the magic remote and some have an extra HDMI port. Aesthetics may be different with different designed stands.

Its a series, so anything UNxxxx should be considered the same TV.

jamski07

Thanks. Not sure the extra £70 is worth it for an hdmi socket. Think they both come with the magic remote having been reading. It literally looks like the hdmi. 👍

jamski07

The sound bar connects via an optical cable. We have 4 devices, but the two games consoles could connect via a switch. Currently have 3 devices going through it, so it’s an improvement.

Dodgexander

Yeah, you can still use optical to connect a soundbar. Worth noting that in the future if you plan on connecting via HDMI, be it with your current soundbar, or if it doesn't support HDMI, a future one. One of the HDMI ports will be taken up.

Connection via HDMI is the new standard, and unlike Optical lets you control the soundbar with the TVs remote.

jamski07

Yeah, you can still use optical to connect a soundbar. Worth noting that in the future if you plan on connecting via HDMI, be it with your current soundbar, or if it doesn't support HDMI, a future one. One of the HDMI ports will be taken up.

Connection via HDMI is the new standard, and unlike Optical lets you control the soundbar with the TVs remote.

As always, thank you. I asked Richer sounds about the differences, and this was their reply. Have a feeling they may be trying to make a sale of a more expensive TV?

"If you are comparing the UN7400 with the UN8100 model, there is a good difference between the two.

Firstly the UN8100 deliver superiour image quailty, with a nice brighter panel delivering generally better image quality aswell and a better HDR image for streaming servives such as Netflix.

Secondly the UN8100 is built much better, and uses a nice slim metal frame, as opposed to the more builky plastic on the UN7400."

As according to this, they are exactly the same.

benny5

I’m intrigued. My current sound bar (Yamaha 101), connected via the optical I/F, allows me to control volume via any of the remotes on the TV/BT Box/DVD Player. It’s a 10 year old Sony, will newer ones be any different?

Dodgexander

Firstly the UN8100 deliver superiour image quailty, with a nice brighter panel delivering generally better image quality aswell and a better HDR image for streaming servives such as Netflix.
The UN8100 may have a wide colour gamut that can display better colours when you use HDR. It is by no means suitable for HDR use though, since it does not get bright enough and does not have local dimming. Brightness will be the same on both models..eg poor for HDR standards, but more than enough for SDR.

Any differences in aesthetics is true, but its up to you if you wish to pay more for more premium looking aesthetics.
I’m intrigued. My current sound bar (Yamaha 101), connected via the optical I/F, allows me to control volume via any of the remotes on the TV/BT Box/DVD Player. It’s a 10 year old Sony, will newer ones be any different?
There's no way to control volume via optical connection, so if your TV remote is controlling the sound of a soundbar that is connected via Optical and not HDMI, it is using IF signals.

Its possible you can use, or configure a remote control to control the volume of a soundbar via IF, but its not the modern solution soundbars use that allow the volume to be changed together with an OSD via HDMI.

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
Hi, which of these would be better for PlayStation 5
How’s the UN 8100 is a 60 Hz panel I believe in.
I can buy the UN 8100 for £349, Is there any other TV at this price point I should consider?
Thank you.
Owen

Dodgexander

Its not until you reach larger, more expensive TVs that they start to get suited for PS5 gaming for 120hz and proper HDR support.
The LG will be okay if you are fine gaming in SDR, 60hz, same as 99%of TVs.

All the best buys are here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition the LG UN81 is the same as the UN74 in the guide. Make sure to understand whether you want a VA or IPS type panel. LGs use IPS at 43".

P-P-S-S

May i ask, is the 43UN81006LB a decent Smart TV for everyday watching? Or should i look at something else? I need something in the sub £400 price.

Dodgexander

May i ask, is the 43UN81006LB a decent Smart TV for everyday watching? Or should i look at something else? I need something in the sub £400 price.
Really depends on your expectations and what you watch. For non-HDR content in an average lit room its fine. If you are going to use it for HDR material, or in darker conditions it won't be good at all.

It will be quite a big difference compared to the Q90R in your signature.

P-P-S-S

Really depends on your expectations and what you watch. For non-HDR content in an average lit room its fine. If you are going to use it for HDR material, or in darker conditions it won't be good at all.

It will be quite a big difference compared to the Q90R in your signature.
Oh sorry, I forgot to specify. The TV is for my sister's house. She just watches TV at various times of day or night. Generally just terestial tv, netflix and movies through a hard drive attached to it. She is not bothered about fancy technology and such. Just wants a TV to watch really. Was wondering if this TV is the best to buy in that price range and compared ot its competitors?

Dodgexander

If she keeps with a standard netflix plan and not a premium plan then the LG is fine.

As for whether its best in its price range, really depends on her own viewing conditions and preferences. It uses an IPS panel whilst many other models use VA. Generally people choose TVs using VA panels instead unless they have a particular need for wide viewing angles.

All best buys are here:

Once you have the choice of panel worked out, TVs are then separated in the guide based on that. The LG you picked out is fine if you come to the conclusion IPS is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022