Thoughts on Sub Placement

petrolhead

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PDR10

Crossover at 100HTZ

Home Cinema Only

So where do you guys place your subs.

Mine is currently in a corner beside me but I fell I have lost some punch since changing the room around. It used to be a the front and did sound better.

Mine´s at the front roughly between the centre and front right speaker but about a foot or so in front of them.

My two previous subs (PS1000 and B&W ASW675) hated being in a corner and sounded awfull, the HGS18 though loves it in the corner and you get the bonus of greater extension and output in a corner so if possible try it in the corner. You really should aim to place it at the front of your room near the main speakers.

Speakers set to small.

Bass to sub.

xover 80Hz amp.

Internal sub xover set to in

Sub xover to max 120Hz

I get very good results from mine in the alcove to the left of the TV, space is very limited at the front, dur to the 56" portable and floorstanders. :D Done a demo the other evening and moved it infront of the TV, results were even better. I think that's the best place for them myself. Mine will do for now as we are thinking of having the fireplace removed and positioning everything on the one wall, will have about 8m to spread things out then. :D

Do you guys point your subs straight into the room (assuming its not in a corner) or at an angle? The reason I ask is that my first sub, a Yamaha, gave instructions to angle the box so that the sound waves ran at angles bouncing back and forth off the walls giving a zig-zag kind of pattern.

What's your views?

Thanks

DaveP

Cheers Gary, I see what you mean

Thanks for that, and I thought someone would just say Straight or Angle!

Non the wiser but I suppose trial and error is the only solution!

Cheers

DaveP

A cunning virtual layout of my stuff.

Dynaudio.....HGS.............Loewe.......................... Dynaudio

.....................................Meridians......Sky +.........................

.......................................................Parasound...................

.......................................Me................................................

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom