1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Sony 7700

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Grumpy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I have recently put together my very first proper Home Cinema setup though the one area I have neglected to a certain degree is the DVD player. I am using a Sony 7700 which to my eyes (via component --> Denon 3805 --> Screenplay 7200) is producing very good results. My question really is whether I would see much of an improvement by swapping to something newer such as a 3910 (or the equiv Arcam). In some ways I am a bit unsure how to proceed in view of the upcoming Blu-Ray/ HD 'war' though obviously I want to get the best performance I can out of the newer kit.
    Any thoughts ?

2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone ??

:lease:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    7700 is a great player, don't be any rush :)

4. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do regret having got rid of my 7700 to replace it with a Denon 2900 and then a Denon 2910.

The 7700 had a great PQ and played every single disc I ever put in it, and having had the player for 4.5 years, that was a fair number of discs!!

Niraj

5. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So the general view seems to be to stick with it then - that's good to hear. My only real gripe is that it couldn't play a *ahem* copy of Shrek that the g/f brought home (even though it played in her old Cyberhome budget player :thumbsdow ). I did point out that generally people that pay a bit more for their kit would not entertain the thought of playing a copy but I got the feeling that I was wasting my breath.
    Anyway cheers guys.

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I think progressive scan may give you a better picture

But with HD said to be coming at the end of this year, I would possibly wait to see what it brings although the initial players will be expensive and you will need a compatible projector too for hd

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you want better PS then a separate video processor is the way to go like an Iscan Ulta. Screenplay not too bad in this department.

8. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I had a Sony 7700 as the source for my Optoma H30 and was quite happy with it but there was always the nagging doubt that it could be improved with a good progressive component input.

I ended up borrowing an Arcam DV78 from my local HC retailer and the difference in picture quality was sufficient for even my wife to notice. The picture just look clearer and sharper not a massive improvement but just enough to convince me that the extra outlay was worth it.

Anyway in the end I ended up purchasing a cut price Arcam DV89 because I wanted DVD-A but didn't need HDMI and extra expense of the DV79. I haven't regreted it once and have enjoyed the benefits in PQ & sound ever since.

Its still a long time to wait until HD DVD players get to a sensible price in the UK...

9. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I have a friend in the trade so it might well be an option to borrow a player and demo over say a weekend or so to see if it is worth making the splash. As said both here and elsewhere I guess that realistically it will be a while before affordable Hd/Blu Ray players are widely available and then longer still until there is a decent sized catalogue of titles.
    Thanks for all the replies though, certainly good to throw these things to 'the audience' as it were.

10. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i had a ony dvp 7700 for close to three year. it was a brilliant player and played all dvd and cd's flawlessly. however when i bought a denon 2900 and did a direct comparison using rgb scart i was pretty surprised. the denon picture was much better ,sharper and almost three dimensional compared to the sony. Sony is a good dvd player, but technology has moved on so much that it is no longer the superstar it once was. I sold it straight away.

Mr Grumpy the decision will ultimately be yours. try and audition several player and then it will be easier to decide.

11. glenann

glenann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58