Thoughts on sending kids back to school in June.

Don’t disagree with that, I just don’t think the solution is send them all back because they can’t social distance anyway.

@rustybin

Surely it’s the risk to families following transmission between pupils and to staff and their families.

And even if those 6 mix, it’s nothing compared to a full school.

My wife has gone back to work and I am not happy, being in our 60's I asked her to quit and retire but she is not interested. I asked her if they are taking temperature readings, no she said, and no to PPE etc...

I think it is crazy as her class is for reception children who would probably be the least affected by time off and are also the hardest to social distance. There are and have been so many contradictions from the beginning with the way the government are dealing with this.

Not safe for adults to go to pubs, but safe for children to play together at school when we havent seen our grandchildren for months because it still isnt safe to do so.

Don’t disagree with that, I just don’t think the solution is send them all back because they can’t social distance anyway.

But they have to go back at some point, so why not now rather than September?

Maybe because the numbers are so tiny in children and the chance of transmission is so low? Like I said where do you draw the line.

Not sure if you have kids yourself but if you do and they are at primary school age, at what point do you say enough is enough. Teaching at home is no substitute for a classroom and important social skills they develop now. As I said what if a vaccine never comes, what if the numbers just plateau, no one is going to want their kids off for months and months or even years, at some point you need to find something that works.

Not a half arsed governement saying they have to stay off, no they can go back, no keep them off again

Actually I might disagree about the teaching at home - even though it is very hard work whilst working. Yes the social aspect is a problem and some will possibly suffer but what I have found is the level of teaching in reception is pretty much pre-nursery from what we've been set. My 5yr old son is doing year 2-3 maths and english and a load of other subjects like science and geography for year 2 because there is only so much counting to 20 you can do over and over! I know they have to be able to cover the youngest and slowest learners but I was shocked at what he was being taught.
Sorry, rant over...

Question will be in September what will the social distancing be like...1 metre, nothing and just masks or nothing at all. I guess we will see and at the rate infections are going by then we will possibly be only looking at the odd outbreak of 5-10 infections at any time. That is presuming there isn't a second wave or increase over the summer.
Either way I expect everyone will be back in September and it'll be back to hand washing and being sensible The only reason they are now ditching plans for extra years to go back to primary is basically due to a lack of space because of the distancing.

But they have to go back at some point, so why not now rather than September?

Firstly because atm the infections rate is still too high so at least some kind of distancing is needed. Come September it should be much, much lower and almost non-existent judging by other countries.

Firstly because atm the infections rate is still too high so at least some kind of distancing is needed. Come September it should be much, much lower and almost non-existent judging by other countries.
But my point is that the social distancing isn't really happening right now in schools and isn't really possible. 1m is no better than 2m. 50cm isn't possible without an incredible change in the way schools are run and children are taught, especially in KS1/EYFS.

what I have found is the level of teaching in reception is pretty much pre-nursery from what we've been set. My 5yr old son is doing year 2-3 maths and english and a load of other subjects like science and geography for year 2 because there is only so much counting to 20 you can do over and over! I know they have to be able to cover the youngest and slowest learners but I was shocked at what he was being taught.
Sorry, rant over...
Remember there's a massive difference between effectively tutoring a child 1-2-1 in a small number of subjects and what a teacher has to cover to 30 children in a year.

We were finding the same as you with my 4 year old (nursery). In his number work he's working at at a low Year 2 level and his phonics had really come along. But socially and behaviourally both my 4 year old and 6 year old have regressed in the last 3 months.

Remember there's a massive difference between effectively tutoring a child 1-2-1 in a small number of subjects and what a teacher has to cover to 30 children in a year.

We were finding the same as you with my 4 year old (nursery). In his number work he's working at at a low Year 2 level and his phonics had really come along. But socially and behaviourally both my 4 year old and 6 year old have regressed in the last 3 months.

Oh yes, I can't imagine trying to teach 30 5yr olds...no money in the world and major kudos to anyone who does that, and enjoys it as well.
My son isn't a fan of big crowds and things like that so he's actually coping pretty well at home and now he can see grandparents it's a lot better. He does miss his best friend who has gone back but they do the odd zoom chat\shout\arse about to keep in touch :)
At least the learning my son is doing is pretty decent, even the simple stuff form the school. Compare that to my 13 year old niece and 12 year old nephew who basically have around 1 hour of work to do each day and then basically play games for the rest of the time! :eek: - like the longest easter\summer holiday ever

I think come September they'll scrap social distancing in schools, or at least primary schools. Was hoping my son could go back in a week or 2 as the home schooling has basically come to end. My wife has been working the whole lockdown and I'm back to work this week and I'm sure a lot of other families are in the same situation.

Yet more evidence that the schools should be open for all children:

Yet more evidence that the schools should be open for all children:

Nope
Half the infection rate in young children is still way too much of a risk. If you wanted all schools back then social distancing won't be possible and then even with that half infection rate you'll get it spreading like anything due to the close proximity especially as the infection rate they say in that creeps up to 0.8 with children 10-19.

Most primary schools were struggling to even take back more than Reception year as they don't have the room to social distance.

Half the infection rate in young children is still way too much of a risk.
If they are half as likely to be an infection risk, don't suffer from it and are rubbish at transmitting it to other people, then how small does the risk need to be?

Don't worry, social distance rules will be relaxed to a meter or even less soon enough. With the Telegraph even stating scientists claim there is no evidence for a 2 meter rule.

Everyone will be back from September.

Some people have had a good experience with learning from home using zoom or whatever, but an awful lot more haven't , either its non existant or work is non forthcoming.

My daughter gets about an hours work a week, a poor substitute for over 30 hours per week in school. Parents are concerned about their children's education. And you would have to be a parent to see the effect it is having on children, their social skills and their work. For us that are older we all know you get one shot at school, there is no second chance and the government certainly won't be making people retake years and have "another go" at their exam if it all goes wrong.

If they are half as likely to be an infection risk, don't suffer from it and are rubbish at transmitting it to other people, then how small does the risk need to be?

For somewhere like a school then very small at the moment.

@Max2132 I'm happy with social distancing being reduced to 1m as long as masks are compulsory indoors etc... and schools going back in September does seem realistic and fingers crossed the infection rate is tiny by then but then we have seen how ti can suddenly kick off massively again - look at Beijing today!

Our school is giving out several tasks per day but they are so basic we just catch up on them all every few weeks. The rest of the time we are just doing 40 minutes on Maths\Reading\Writing\Drawing etc... and incorporating some YT videos and things like colour by numbers with addition etc... and it seems to be going ok and he's learning a lot but it's tough trying to find new things so he doesn't get bored (he's 5yrs old).

Summer holidays are going to be way more difficult if we can't really go anywhere but will see over the coming 5-6 weeks how things change.

Ah yes see this is where I think we will notice a difference, my daughter is year 10 and doing an awful lot of subjects, lost out on 3 months school already, what the school are giving the kids is done in minutes. There are no substitutes outside the school like you would have with your son for instance, youtube, other activities etc. So the sooner they are back the better. Its different for secondary schools to primary for instance but still there are all the years in between to consider as well.

Just hope all back to normal come September, well as normal as can be

Unless there is significant change in government policy, we're aiming for everyone back September, but only part time. Going to be October half-term / January before we're back full-time.

The only other way would be using disused warehouse / business space. Temporary classrooms etc.

Social distancing is going to be reduced in a few weeks or less and maybe even removed entirely in a couple of months, wouldn't either of those options allow most if not all children back?

Ah yes see this is where I think we will notice a difference, my daughter is year 10 and doing an awful lot of subjects, lost out on 3 months school already, what the school are giving the kids is done in minutes. There are no substitutes outside the school like you would have with your son for instance, youtube, other activities etc. So the sooner they are back the better. Its different for secondary schools to primary for instance but still there are all the years in between to consider as well.

Just hope all back to normal come September, well as normal as can be

Sounds like my niece and nephew - 12 and 13 and do an hours work a day and that's it, rest of the day is playing video games or recording Tik-Tok videos (whatever they are!)

Judging by other countries yes I think we will be down to 1m very soon and probably by end of August it will be removed completely for things like outdoors but maybe still recommended if indoors for any length of time.
If there's very few infections (less than 10 a day or something) then maybe we will just be back to hand washing and sanitiser etc... Though in all honesty, who knows!

Social distancing is going to be reduced in a few weeks or less and maybe even removed entirely in a couple of months, wouldn't either of those options allow most if not all children back?
It would really need scrapping entirely. Then everyone back from September. No problem at all.

I was thinking at how much easier this would have been to dealt with when I was a child, as mine and most of my friends mum's did not work or didn't need to.

It does seem to me that the current need for both parents to work is the driving force behind getting the schools fully reopened, therefore putting the children, teachers and support staff at risk solely for economic reasons, also confirmed to me by the wealthy private schools not yet screaming to return.

It also seems incredible to me that decent home tutoring is not possible in a time when so many can work from home, free laptops with free internet and a decent online course should be possible.

The media is now in full swing against the teachers & their unions, so I have no doubt that all of the children will be back soon...It won't be that long before the media will be telling us all how the lazy NHS now has a 10 million long waiting list, the Sun will probably campaign for a boo on Thursday's day ;)

Hmm NHS and waiting lists, ok won't go off topic too much but I was due an operation today. Went for pre-op last week and they said your scheduled for 11.30 and showed me my position on the list. I said erm that operation you have down for me, thats not the operation I am having.

Oh dear, yes they had me down for the wrong operation! My god, luckily I spotted it otherwise I would be having the wrong part removed. They want the waiting lists to come down, make sure you are giving people the right op lol.

Back on a waiting list now!

To add to my post, my wife had a one of her classes children walk up to her and cuddle her yesterday, she then started to cry whilst telling my wife how she had missed her. Very touching, but potentially not so good for my wife who still cannot see her own grandchildren.

Hmm NHS and waiting lists, ok won't go off topic too much but I was due an operation today. Went for pre-op last week and they said your scheduled for 11.30 and showed me my position on the list. I said erm that operation you have down for me, thats not the operation I am having.

Oh dear, yes they had me down for the wrong operation! My god, luckily I spotted it otherwise I would be having the wrong part removed. They want the waiting lists to come down, make sure you are giving people the right op lol.

Back on a waiting list now!

Should I ask what would have been removed if you had gone to the operation? :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom