Thoughts on sending kids back to school in June.

Only been a few days and one of the class bubbles has been suspended for 2weeks with all members told to isolate.

Wow, didn’t take long though not surprised. That means several families back isolating again.

We checked with a number of other parents and a fair number weren’t sending them back but might look at it in a few weeks if there are places.

We are doing the same, said no to sending him back and will see. Would be good if he gets a week or two before the summer but I can’t see that happening unless our infection rates drop massively. We also reasoned on the fact that if he did go back then we really wouldn’t be able to see grandparents as it’s not worth the risk of passing anything on.

It’s going to be a looong summer!

We were having issues at home with my lad having temper tantrums over trivial things. We decided to send him back and see how he goes and so far he seems a lot happier being at school.

We were having issues at home with my lad having temper tantrums over trivial things. We decided to send him back and see how he goes and so far he seems a lot happier being at school.

That’s understandable and good news he’s happier at school :)

We’ve got a child from one pod awaiting a test. Will shut that pod of positive.

Only been a few days and one of the class bubbles has been suspended for 2weeks with all members told to isolate.
did someone test +ve then or just panic measures as someone had a symptom? If the latter, then schools will never re-open properly if they're going to isolate groups if one has a symptom.

Some schools are shutting pods if a child has symptoms. Others waiting for positive result. Postal tests you’re still talking 4-5 days before result so good chance by that point it’s spread a fair degree.

did someone test +ve then or just panic measures as someone had a symptom? If the latter, then schools will never re-open properly if they're going to isolate groups if one has a symptom.
I do not honestly know the email we got was short on details.

Our policy is symptoms, stay off school and get tested. Positive test, all parts of the bubble self-isolate and get tested.

Schools within our borough had put back opening further. We have just received a letter from my daughter's school that they will not be opening up (beyond keyworkers and vulnerable) at this time.

They have cited the government and their 5 tests. Specifically the one regarding an R rate below 1. With the R rate in the north west being above that they say they have made their decision in the interests of the safety of staff and kids within the school

11 of the 75 Year 6s showed up today. 70 technically eligible.

Mostly key worker children.

An absolutely incredible amount of money and effort has gone into preparing for and teaching those 11 children today.

11 of the 75 Year 6s showed up today. 70 technically eligible.

Mostly key worker children.

An absolutely incredible amount of money and effort has gone into preparing for and teaching those 11 children today.

The time and cost is one of the reasons we're not putting any plans in place until we get the survey results back from the parents. At the moment we've only had 22 reply to say they want places out of 210 in year 10. We've also had some request a mentoring meeting with their form tutor, but they don't actually want and/or require a place in school. Those in school will be doing exactly the same work as those at home anyway so for most of the students it won't matter where they are.

I tihnk this whole lockdown is a complete shambles, half arsed rules, half arsed plans.

My daughter is going back next week.

They either had to scrap social distancing rules for children and teachers or scrap their plan to get all the children back.

It was a ridiculous suggestion to start with.

As I said half arsed plans.

My daughter is in secondary school and still going back as planned, well within the framework the school have set out

They either had to scrap social distancing rules for children and teachers or scrap their plan to get all the children back.

It was a ridiculous suggestion to start with.

The primary lower school that my son goes to has ended up using the whole building just for Reception class to keep the distancing rules, that's around 90 pupils so there was little chance they would even be able to get Year 1 back in let alone anyone else.

I don't know how many have actually gone back though but judging by parents in his class and people on here it's possibly only 15-20% at the most.

Most people being sensible and keeping kids at home if at all possible which of course isn't always the case so have no choice unfortunately.

At some point though you need a cut off and say well the risk is so low that everyone can go back. I mean the numbers in this country compared to the population are tiny.

Problem is with things like this is everyone has an opinion, myself included :) So you will never get a good agreement on kids going back but I mean at which point do you say well look we can't go on like this forever.

At some point though you need a cut off and say well the risk is so low that everyone can go back. I mean the numbers in this country compared to the population are tiny.

Problem is with things like this is everyone has an opinion, myself included :) So you will never get a good agreement on kids going back but I mean at which point do you say well look we can't go on like this forever.

Agree entirely and I'm basing my decision on the numbers and what I'm hearing from people on here and others. I expect in 2-3 weeks it is probably a safer bet and I'm hoping he gets a few weeks of school before the summer but I guess we will see how coming out of lockdown and beaches, protest and the like have affected the numbers....

The fact is, for primary at least, social distancing isn't really possible with the limited number of children back already. It's impossible with a full school. So unless the government think they'll have a vaccine by September, how are things going to be any different after the summer? I'd suggest they're not, so children should be back now.

The government's policy on schools is now a total shambles and a postcode lottery on what's going on.

The fact is, for primary at least, social distancing isn't really possible with the limited number of children back already. It's impossible with a full school. So unless the government think they'll have a vaccine by September, how are things going to be any different after the summer? I'd suggest they're not, so children should be back now.

The government's policy on schools is now a total shambles and a postcode lottery on what's going on.

So because Social Distancing isn't possible we should ignore it? Despite the fact that it is enforced everywhere else? Does this logic apply elsewhere? You can't socially distance at a gig, theatres, pubs - so surely they should also open now? Was listening to someone the other day who pointed out that if we'd locked down earlier, and for the same period, we'd have a much lower rate of infection coming out of lockdown worth Social Distances measures also in place.

Maybe because the numbers are so tiny in children and the chance of transmission is so low? Like I said where do you draw the line.

Not sure if you have kids yourself but if you do and they are at primary school age, at what point do you say enough is enough. Teaching at home is no substitute for a classroom and important social skills they develop now. As I said what if a vaccine never comes, what if the numbers just plateau, no one is going to want their kids off for months and months or even years, at some point you need to find something that works.

Not a half arsed governement saying they have to stay off, no they can go back, no keep them off again

So because Social Distancing isn't possible we should ignore it? Despite the fact that it is enforced everywhere else? Does this logic apply elsewhere? You can't socially distance at a gig, theatres, pubs - so surely they should also open now? Was listening to someone the other day who pointed out that if we'd locked down earlier, and for the same period, we'd have a much lower rate of infection coming out of lockdown worth Social Distances measures also in place.

Not quite. Either there is a significant risk to children or there isn't. If the risk is only reduced as a result of social distancing, then the children shouldn't be back, and shouldn't ever go back the way things used to be, as social distancing for young children is impossible. And for the older children, even if they social distance in school, they won't out of school.

Case in point, of the 11 children we've got in school currently, 6 of them all walked in together this morning and walked home together last night, literally inches apart, to then walk into a social distancing classroom.

It would be easier for me social distance at my local cineworld tomorrow night than my classroom tomorrow - so why is one open and one not?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom