Thoughts on sending kids back to school in June.

WeeScottishLass

My nephew goes to a primary school in Surbiton in Surrey (he's 8) but my brother and sister in law are keeping him off until September.

He's their only child though (they can't have anymore and he was a miracle baby) so I can understand why they don't want to risk anything.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
My daughter started back at Pre-School this morning, we were not sure if we were making the right decision but she came running into our room so excited and was jumping up and down the whole morning while getting ready and she ran the whole way there as we walked. We had to force her to hug us and give us a wave.
So we think we have made the right decision, she starts school in September and will turn 4 end of August so will be the youngest in her year when she does start so we wanted her to get as much social interaction as possible before September.
Seeing her so excited and not have an issue with the lady in PPE take her temp and run into her classroom makes us think we made the right choice.
Preschool have it setup really well with signs outside where to stand, 1 way system and temp checks before she goes in and only 1 parent in reception area at any 1 time.

Will see how it goes later when we pick her up.

And on the other plus side, me and the wife have got loads of work done already this morning.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
@rustybin

Can you please post back your experiences of being back in school when you can.
Ta!
All okay.

Of the 75 children who are eligible to attend from Monday (8th), three have accepted a place and three more have verbally said they would like to attend. However we're not going to be turning anyone away, so we've spent the day preparing each Yr5 and Yr6 classroom for 5x bubbles of 8 children, with the presumption that for now only 1 will be needed. Each Upper KS2 teacher will be working one day a week based on that 1 bubble, and we can then expand easily if necessary.

We're also starting at 8.30am and closing at 2.30pm with a 10 min drop off and collection window. If they're late dropping off at 8.30am they will have to wait until 9.40am for the next window to open to drop off. If they're late collecting, they'll lose their place.

Zero tolerance on behaviour, resulting in immediate removal of school place.

Certain children have been risk assessed and already told they don't have a place. This is a relief as it was causing much stress.

Two members of staff have resigned as they don't want to come back which is fair enough.

The best guidance so far from the Government is that all doors should be left open where possible. Safeguarding rules mean all external doors should be kept shut, fire regulations say internal doors should be kept shut.

We've got zero PPE, but the school has managed to source loads of anti-bac gel.

So looking like one day a week teaching for me for the immediate future, but I've still got to do all my preparation of work for my actual class day to day. BUT I've not got my own children to look after now, so considerably more time to do my work.

We are going to expand as the Goverment tells us to until bubbles of 10 can't be maintained. I've attached a pic of my classroom below with the yellow metre-stick to show what we're up against. In my class I've got 5 of these trio of tables, with a max capacity of about 10 children with ONE METRE social distancing.

IMG_20200601_140525.jpg

Last edited:

realfrankturner

Little ones school rung today, opening on 15th, but she will be in a different class with different people and teacher then her norm. And they will be doing same work that's available online.

We aren't sending her back.

iangreasby

All okay.

Of the 75 children who are eligible to attend from Monday (8th), three have accepted a place and three more have verbally said they would like to attend. However we're not going to be turning anyone away, so we've spent the day preparing each Yr5 and Yr6 classroom for 5x bubbles of 8 children, with the presumption that for now only 1 will be needed. Each Upper KS2 teacher will be working one day a week based on that 1 bubble, and we can then expand easily if necessary.

We're also starting at 8.30am and closing at 2.30pm with a 10 min drop off and collection window. If they're late dropping off at 8.30am they will have to wait until 9.40am for the next window to open to drop off. If they're late collecting, they'll lose their place.

Zero tolerance on behaviour, resulting in immediate removal of school place.

Certain children have been risk assessed and already told they don't have a place. This is a relief as it was causing much stress.

Two members of staff have resigned as they don't want to come back which is fair enough.

The best guidance so far from the Government is that all doors should be left open where possible. Safeguarding rules mean all external doors should be kept shut, fire regulations say internal doors should be kept shut.

We've got zero PPE, but the school has managed to source loads of anti-bac gel.

So looking like one day a week teaching for me for the immediate future, but I've still got to do all my preparation of work for my actual class day to day. BUT I've not got my own children to look after now, so considerably more time to do my work.

We are going to expand as the Goverment tells us to until bubbles of 10 can't be maintained. I've attached a pic of my classroom below with the yellow metre-stick to show what we're up against. In my class I've got 5 of these trio of tables, with a max capacity of about 10 children with ONE METRE social distancing.

View attachment 1310143
What circumstances would lead to certain children being risk assessed and possibly not having a place?

rustybin

Distinguished Member
What circumstances would lead to certain children being risk assessed and possibly not having a place?
One requires significant lifting / moving and we're lacking staff able to do this. Another struggles to control his behaviour and will throw chairs / tables around and requires physical restraining on a daily basis and so it wouldn't be appropriate for him to attend. There are a few others too for various reasons - an autistic child who wouldn't cope with the new measures in place.

Last edited:

rustybin

Distinguished Member
My two boys got back from school half an hour ago and have had a great day.

My 4 year old was one of 6 in his bubble and my 6 year old was one of 9. Happy boys enjoying some well earned Nintendo now.

lee667

Really hope they open up primary schools for the other years in a couple of weeks. Hopefully my sons school will provide an update later this week on how things are going.

Lee

I think it's too soon for schools to go back as well as some of the other restrictions that have been lifted.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
If I, or any one in my bubble, shows symptoms, we'd have to be tested. The rest of the bubble would carry on. If the test came back positive, only then would everyone in the bubble isolate for 14 days.

Miss Mandy

Well talking to friends and family last night it seems there's mixed opinions on how yesterday was. Most children didn't go back, for those that did it was a bit confusing but mostly not horrible. The kids seem happy to be with the friends again, but some are struggling to adapt to the changes in the setup.
I was talking to one parent though and her kids had an awful day. They're girl twins who are best friends, but they were put in different bubbles so couldn't see each other all day. The school set their bubbles up based on ability. The twins came home in tears as they found it all quite stressful and upsetting. Their mum is going to continue sending them in though as she thinks they need the routine back, and as she's still on furlough she's going back to the beach today which is where she spent yesterday.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Many primary parents will find this term / even a September return hard. They're used to flexibility and having schools bend over backwards to accommodate their wishes. That flexibility has been removed in almost all areas of school life.

My wife was is in (primary) school today. Only about 40 children attended, lots of new codes to report attendance. Everyone behaved responsibly and no big dramas. But it looks like many parents choose not to have their children return just yet.

iangreasby

An interesting read. One of the links posted on here recently to an expert's comments (a doctor or professor, I can't remember exactly) along similar lines. He was basically suggesting that the widespread fear of Covid is fast becoming more damaging than the virus itself.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Our 5yr old is due to return back to school on Monday. We've had a 5 page letter form the school outlining what they plan to do (bubbles etc...) but haven't been asked whether we, or anyone, is actually sending their kids back so how do they know what needs to be done if they don't have numbers?!
Other schools in our area sent out forms weeks ago asking who was going back.

Anyway, as much I'd like him to go back it doesn't seem the right time yet, maybe in a few weeks so ultimately pointless really. This will make it a very long and hard next few months working from home and a kid on holidays - home schooling isn;t too bad as at least there's a structure to it.

On the positive side he's learned a lot more at home and advanced a lot compared to what he was doing at school - currently doing year 2 and 3 Maths and English :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Latest News

Philips online events to replace IFA 2020 attendance
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz announces 8K ready SR series AV Receivers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ennio Morricone: Legendary film composer dies aged 91
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton