Quantcast

Thoughts on sending kids back to school in June.

phillyd1981

If the schools do reopen in june would you be happy sending your children back (if they are in the qualifying year)

For me i don't think i will be letting my year one lad back it's to soon in my opinion.

joust

They've asked yr6's to go back in....why? No learning in this half term - from what we know, they basically normally just have a 'good' time doing fun things. Hard to miss out on, but they can't do it this year anyway, and it would be much more appropriate to have yr5's in for instance that will have something to work towards.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
I’m guessing they’ve selected year 6’s as they’re due to transition to high school in September. Whilst they don’t have exams etc, I would imagine the teachers will focus on getting them prepared for the big change in education style/expectations.

maddy

There are a whole host of reasons to get the kids back in school:
  • education (obvs)
  • some sense of normality
  • safeguarding
  • parents needing to go back to work
  • social skills, reconnecting with friends
  • loneliness
  • etc.

Ours will go back the minute the schools open.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Ours will go back the minute the schools open.
That's the decision the wife and I came to last night (although not so sure when push comes to shove).

On my WhatsApp groups for my sons' school classes (Nursery / Yr1), all but 2 (including us) said they wouldn't be sending their children back until September.

I had to phone all 30 of my class yesterday (nine and ten year olds) to check in and therefore spoke to every parent in my class (except 3 I couldn't track down). Every single one said they wouldn't be sending their children back until September and were more interested in whether they'd get a fine for doing so than anything else.

So the Govt could open every school tomorrow for every age group and I think they'll have a battle on their hands to convince parents to send their children in.

joust

That's the decision the wife and I came to last night (although not so sure when push comes to shove).

On my WhatsApp groups for my sons' school classes (Nursery / Yr1), all but 2 (including us) said they wouldn't be sending their children back until September.

I had to phone all 30 of my class yesterday (nine and ten year olds) to check in and therefore spoke to every parent in my class (except 3 I couldn't track down). Every single one said they wouldn't be sending their children back until September and were more interested in whether they'd get a fine for doing so than anything else.

So the Govt could open every school tomorrow for every age group and I think they'll have a battle on their hands to convince parents to send their children in.
Our head has sent a questionnaire out asking for parents intentions. We don't see much point sending our yr6 back, like I said, we know usually they don't do anything this term as its after their SAT's and they generally have a good time. Have to say, we have also checked what the situation is regarding fines......

maddy

@rustybin

Did you get a feel for why they won't be sending their kids back?

To some extent I think there needs to be a "build it and they will come" attitude towards opening the schools.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
@rustybin

Did you get a feel for why they won't be sending their kids back?

To some extent I think there needs to be a "build it and they will come" attitude towards opening the schools.
Those that said anything said that it was due to not thinking their children would be safe. A few had extenuating circumstances (mum in cancer remission / sick grandparent who lives with them).

I think you're right in terms of opening and seeing, and then schools will need to a adapt accordingly.

At the moment, unless something drastic changes, 1st June is very ambitious. The Unions are mobilising!

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I also think that Wales / England / Scotland going their own way on this isn't helping.

Why does the science say that it's safe for me as a teacher and my kids to go back to work / school on 1st June, but my sister (also a teacher) and her kids are not safe to do so, just because they live ten miles across the England / Wales border?

Chocci

2 children under 14 have died with covid so its very rare. Switzerland, the netherlands and now Iceland have stated children rarely catch the virus or pass it on. Cant see the school risk situation being any different than it is now until a vaccine arrives.

'We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.'

“Children are practically not infected and do not pass on the virus. And most children are infected by their parents. That is why small children pose no risk to high-risk patients or grandparents. So, it is legitimate that grandparents have physical contact with younger children. If the children get older, for example, from the age of 10, the risk increases, then this contact is no longer desirable,” Dr. Koch, head of the infectious diseases unit at the Federal Department of Public Health (FOPH), said

leedebs

Useful info that, what I dont understand is why there isn't a standard scientific decision for this. Ie why aren't all countries adopting the same policies if the science suggest there is little to no risk?

richp007

Distinguished Member
My sister's a teacher and she's said she won't be sending her kids back.

She thinks it's too soon and the risks still too great.

She's wary too because of the conflicting policies.

fat jez

IronGiant

Useful info that, what I dont understand is why there isn't a standard scientific decision for this. Ie why aren't all countries adopting the same policies if the science suggest there is little to no risk?
Because the Swiss scientists might be wrong...

The take home message is that the definition of scientist is a bit woolly, and they don't all agree anyway.

realfrankturner

God help any workplaces with a 'Karen' who put one foot wrong with the guidelines.

27neth

Distinguished Member
My wife’s just sent me this,

“Good news son, you get to go back to school!”

“Oh great, so the germs are gone?”

“Ummmm yeah, pretty much... I mean technically there’s more deaths per day than there was when they closed the school... but I’m sure it’s fine.”
“I can’t wait to play with my friends!”
“Well yeah, you might see some of your friends, but you won’t be able to touch them or play with them.”
“Why?”
“Because of the germs.”
“But there aren’t any germs now?!”
“Right....but there might be... so you can’t go close to your friends.”
“Oh well, at least I’ll see them.”
“Well, you might not see them all because you might not all be in the same classroom.”
“Oh, but I’ll be in my classroom though right?”
“Well you might not be because you’ll have to spread out a bit.”
“Spread out to where?”
“To the other classrooms.”
“But won’t the other classes be in their rooms?”
“No the other classes won’t be there.”
“Why?”
“Because of the germs.”
“But why am I the only one going back?”
“Ummm..... because you’re small and you can spread out more?... because you don’t take up so much space?!?.... honestly no one knows mate.”
“Oh well, at least I’ll see my teacher... but wait...Mum how will my teacher be in all the classrooms at once?”
“Well, you might not have your teacher.”
“Who will I have?”
“I don’t know...”
“Oh.... if I’m going back to school can we go and get my new school shoes? Remember you said I would have to get new shoes because my feet have grown?!”
“Right... yeah... it’s not safe to open the shops so we can’t get shoes.”
“But it is safe for me to go to school?”
“Yep, maybe... unless there’s a spike in the virus, then we might have to stay home again.”
“How will they know if there’s a spike in the virus though Mum?”
“Hospital admissions... and number of deaths.”
“But what if I’ve already got it by then, from going to school?”
“Well you probably won’t die because you’re young.”
“Do children not die then?”
“Most of them don’t.”
“But grownups do?”
“Some, yes.”
“So what about my teacher?”
“........?”
“Mum is it ok if I don’t go back to school? It doesn’t sound like it’s the right time yet”
“Yes mate that’s fine, you’re right, let’s stay home”

Harkon321

Which is my point, if we cant trust the scientists who can we trust?
The UK own advice is contradictory.

If I work in a UK workplace we should be 2m apart. I ideally shouldn't go anywhere where I can't Social Distance such as public transport, if I do I should wear a mask. Areas that are crowded or where Social Distancing isn't possible are not allowed to open yet e.g. pubs I can meet one person, at a distance of 2m, outside.

Yet...

DfE guidance states Social Distancing is not possible in school. How is that different? Re the article above, there is no agreed published science on transmission rates from children. Oh and no masks or PPE, those are specifically not required in schools - obviously.

Miss Mandy

Well the main thing on this particular point is that the WHO and most other countries say there isn't enough data to come to a scientific conclusion on the topic. Some are apparently studying children getting the coronavirus, but as yet there hasn't been much investigation into children passing it on to others.
It would be interesting to see what data the Swiss have that allows them to reach this outcome.

what happens in July, September and so on when we have no vaccine , no herd immunity and things are pretty much the same as they are now ..................apart from astronomical debt

Latest News

CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett