1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Panasonic TX47PT10 47"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by boston, Jan 17, 2005.

1. boston

boston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been lurking in these forums for quite a while, but have finally decided to post:

I have a Panasonic TX47PT10 47" rear projection TV (bought in November 2002), and was just wondering how much you experienced forum members think that I might get for it if selling it on ebay (with local pickup, obviously - due to the immense weight of the unit!!).

The model is this one:
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xFS?KW=TX47PT10&FN=Projection+Televisions&FD=96620

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Will

:lease:

2. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will

I have the same TV - but the earlier dark grey pro-logic model - and I'm currently trying to spend up to 5 grand to upgrade. However, I'm having trouble finding a panel to equal my current performance on standard def material, ie freeview, sky, cable - -.
    True, the current plasma/dlp brigade provide punchier and more detailed DVD pictures and a good sky movie looks better most of the time, but once the quality drops, the digital artefacts, for me, make the picture totally unwatchable - smearing of facial tones, fuzzy fringes on moving objects and the grass on a football pitch that looks as if Monet has just painted it. Still pics are fine - but once the electronics have work to do with less than optimum bitrates - - -yuk. Ideally you would need to see the new setup side by side with the old in the comfort of your own home, to make a fair judgement - but the signs, for me, have not been very encouraging.

Maybe I'm a bit spoilt, as I have a service manual for the TX47 and my picture is free of any major convergence errors (colour fringing), has no really noticeable geometry errors, except, maybe, on the credit rolls - and the TX has one of the best viewing angles of any RP set - but we're six years down the line and I thought we might have progressed a bit further than we have. Granted, the high def stuff I've seen - especially the HD demo on the Sagem - is awsome, but this has little relevance to what the majority of the Great british public spends its time watching - ie - sky, cable, digi terrestrial and, dare I say it, analogue - plus the odd DVD movie and Music concert - but, in preparation for the distant HD future (let's face it, it will be at least 10 years before we have 100+ HD channels at our fingertips for £20 a month), it seems that the standard def rendition has had to be severely compromised by whatever electronic tomtrickery is required to try and surpass the good old CRT.

Suffice it to say, Will, that, before you part with your hard earned, make sure that it cuts the mustard with the stuff you normally watch. I'm, actually keen to have someone make me eat my words, as I have the cash and want to upgrade; the jury's still out on DLP for me at the minute, as I have severe rainbowitis with the sets I've seen so far, but I'm anxious to check out the next generation - also JVC's D-ILA and Sony's new RP engine.

With regard to the value of your TX, I would be looking for at least £700-£800 for mine - it's at least twice as good as any CRT set available in Currys or Comet - even though it's second hand (as long as the tubes are OK) - and proceed with caution - your current TV may be better than you think.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Garry