Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thoughts on Panasonic TH42PW5

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by nealgs, Aug 12, 2003.

1. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Have seen one of these going for a very good price (possibly) and would like your thoughts on it please - I understand that it is a discontinued model.

many thanks
    Gary

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    I have one and am VERY happy with it... Whilst I have been seen to complain about the 'flicker' that seems to be present on this model of display, I think that the problem has been slightly over stated.

The flicker isn't that bad at all, and by no means does it take away the enjoyment of watching the screen.

Sure, I would be happier if it didn't flicker, but its not enough of a problem for me to talk someone out of buying a Series 5.

Of course, a Series 6 is bound to be a better investement.. But, if the price is right, you won't go wrong with a PW5!

3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I certainly couldn't spend £2500 on a plasma, only to get an annoying screen flicker, no matter how minimal.

If you don't see it at all then it wouldn't matter though.

Gary A

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Jon,

Would you know if the flicker is inherant(sp) if the output is from a HTPC system which can output hi refresh rated images or is the display only capable of a fixed refresh rate

hope that made sense

cheers
    Gary

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Sorry Gary, I am not sure of the answer to your question.

However, I would say that this whole 'flicker' situation is grossly over exaggerated, and to some extent I am in some way responsible for this.

I am the fussiest person I know and whilst my screen flickers very slightly I am in no way unhappy about it..

Those people who know me will tell you that I am completely intolerant to any kind of problem, and the fact that I haven' complained about this is testimony to the fact that its not that bad.

That's the reason why I went through 9 36" Sony TVs before I had enough of the minor problem that are inherent with CRT technology.

There is no doubt that there is flicker, but its no where near as obvious as you might imagine.

6. soa

soa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these units from av-sales (belting offer, too) and I am absoutely delighted with it.

If I concentrate, I think that occasionally I might be able to detect a flicker. I have *never* noticed it.

7. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have one of these and have NEVER noticed flickering, however I CONSTANTLY notice the buzzing, and it's doing my head in!

8. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    if i was you i would buy the fujitsu p42vha 20 from nexnix its almost identical to the 5 series pannie most probably better !! for around £2240 plus vat which is a great price its a stunning screen

jason