Thoughts on Onkyo TX-NR626

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rooo, Aug 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Onkyo TX-NR626 is very keenly priced at the moment, so I am seriously considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-SR605 to this newer model.

The Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 2x HDMI outs are the main functional reasons for the upgrade, but I really don't want to down in sound quality to get these.

The reviews I have read suggest the 626 is decent, but not the best.

Has anyone any thoughts on this upgrade path?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,843
    The TXNR626 is still the same level of receiver as the receiver you currently have so not really an upgrafe as such. You need to be looking at models higher up to qualify them as being an upgrade. You'd be undating features as opposed to upgrafing the audio.

Maybe look at last years models as opposed to spending more on this years recent new models that replace them? You'd not save anything in terms of the difference between last years TXNR616 compared to the TXNR626 that replaces it, but there are still a few TXNR818 about for about £600. The TXNR818 would be both an update and an upgrade and would give you more than any current Onkyo amp can facilitate for less than £1,500. The TXNR818 even outguns the model that replaces it.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    You won't be going down in sound quality as the NR626 and the NR616 before it were a big improvement in sound (especially music) over the previous models

4. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    As others have said the 626 wouldn't be an upgrade, more of an evolution of the 605 so you'd basically be getting new receiver for the 2 outputs, wifi and bluetooth.

I don't think you'd be getting anything extra sound wise. (although i had heard onkyo were working on improving music reproduction the last few years).

5. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd be getting extra hdmi inputs which I need too. Consensus seems to be that the 609 had improved sound over the 606 so I presume that an improvement will follow through on the change to the 626 from the 605?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    What consensus said the 609 was better than the 606? As above, any improvement will be very minor if at all. Comments of 'better than last year' is more for magazines to sell more etc. In fact receivers have been getting lighter over the years suggesting corners are being cut on things like power supplies hence sound quality may even be going down slightly over the years and not up. You get more bells and whistles but these need to be paid for and then taking into account inflation then if prices stay the same year on year then something has to give!!!!

7. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been trawling through numerous forums all day and everyone who has upgraded from the 605/606 to the 608/609 has said that sound, especially stereo, is better. This may be psychological, who knows, but that seems to be the general consensus anyway. If it is marginal or even the same, that's fine, as long as its not worse.

I wasn't really in the market for a new amp at the moment (I really want to upgrade speakers too) but this would tide me over for a few years and means I can make the upgrade I really need, to a new PJ, sooner rather than later.

I think for £299 it's worth a punt - with the proceeds from selling the 605 and (what will be redundant) Squeezebox Duet, it looks more tempting.

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

I've just gone for one of these and it should be with me tomorrow.

This is replacing a faulty Yamaha 767 which I've had for three years.

Lots of bells and whistles on the Onkyo and couldn't resist at £299 (in stock at Peter Tyson)

9. darkprince

darkprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi how are you finding your new Onkyo 626 compared to the Yamaha?

10. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, I've had the Onkyo since Thursday afternoon and first impressions are extremely positive. As you'll appreciate I'm still getting to grips with the unit and will continue to have a play with the various options.

I've been quite impressed with the auto set up and believe that it performs far better than the Yamaha in this respect. (Audyssey v YPAO)

Bass (via the sub) feels far more intergrated now.

I've also been impressed by MP3 playback via iTunes/Apple TV. Bit more clarity here than the Yamaha.

On the video side, I've set the output to auto which means the Onkyo is currently sending everything to the TV (via Sky HD) at 1080p. Again, this looks good to me although I think any overall picture enhancements v 1080i are minimal. A bit more playing around here might be needed (you can also turn the processing off)

11. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am interested in the HDMI pass through features of these Onkyo amps and wondered if anyone could answer a few queries please?
    I have an older Sony amp in the lounge which currently is connected to a projector, it has Bluray connected via Hdmi and Sky HD but this from a HDMI splitter with the second output from the splitter supplying Sky to a TV in the kitchen (magic eye over RF for changing channels).
    This mostly works ok until the amp is on for radio, then the Sky goes off in the kitchen. This amp seams to offer an upgrade in general re Bluetooth etc but I wonder whether the HDMI output is simultaneous or individual, if the amp is on for radio or Bluray in the lounge, could it output Sky on the second output?

12. jdenver

jdenver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think the 626 replaces the 616, I believe the 626 replaces the 515 and the 525 replaces the 414. The 616 seams to have better spec. than the 626 IMHO.

13. darkprince

darkprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi ,

Thats good to hear, I have a onkyo 616 and i do like the sound alot.
    The 616 only has audyssey 2eq so am missing subwoofer management, the 626 has audyssey multeq that eq's the subwoofer it would be good to know if the 626 has the same over all sound quality as the 616.

14. dreddredd

dreddredd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys
    I will be looking to purchase the 626 for xmas and have a question about MultiZone 2 output.

Will this be only able to power two speakers in another room? I was hoping to use the amp the power a few more speakers in a kitchen living room for audio but wondering am I just limited to two. I would prefer not to have to get a second amp to power that room.

Cheers in advance

15. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    Zone 2 is really designed for 2 standard speakers. There will be an impedance range for zone 2 so as long as maintain within this then could power more. But the is only one amp powering the speakers so more than 2 is asking a lot from it. Also bear in mind that can not listen to sources connected via hdmi, optical, or coaxial on zone 2. So source either has to be connected by analogue connection or come from internal network connection.

16. DLowe

DLowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    after just 6 weeks my 626 has started playing up with the HDMI switching, the same as the 606 it replaced did after just 18 months, worth watching out for it not changing over with your TV HDMI controls and intermittent switching on/off with the TV if you have the HDMI control turned on