1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on new Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy DVD.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Sep 9, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Got round to watching the hitch Hikers guide to the galxy last night. I missed it in the cinema but it was bought for me as a birthday present , so I thought I would give it a go.

I found this movie interesting and entertaining with some fun Idears, but no where near as funny as I thought it would be. Dont really know what I was expecting, but there were only a few momnets that made me even break a smile.
    Now I am not saying its a bad movie by any means, as a quwerky scifi movie it works quite well, but I do think it falls quite short as a comedy. However, every one has a different sense of humour, so perhaps I just dont "get it"

It I had to rate the movie I would give it-7/10
    Sound -8/10
    picture-8/10

Not got round to watching the extras yet.

Dave.

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i watched it at the cinema and last weekend on DVD (see Sig)

I enjoyed it very much, but the second time it wasn't as funny. Strangely enough i found it more confusing the seconsd time (and yes i have read the books :blush:) although i did like the look of Zooey Deschanel.

i'll certainly buy it when it hits the 2 for 20 quid bin :smashin:

Gary

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,894
    I caught a free screening of it back in April and thought it was pretty good, ordered it last week from CDWow and even though I got it last Thursday I still havent got round to watching it again but I am sure it wont dissapoint.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I bought it today but haven't seen it yet. I think I maybe sorely disappointed as I am a great fan of the Radio series, TV series and books. I already have the TV series on DVD and the 6 disc CD set of the radio series from the 80's.

As it stands without seeing the film I think Radio Series > books > TV Series, I have sneaky feeling the film will come last on the list but I hope to still enjoy it.

S.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    the films not to bad steve, not the best but its not that bad - see if you spot Marvin :smashin: shouted it out at he pictures (one of those "did a say that outloud" moments :D )

Gary

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I dont think the film is a bad one, and it certainly kept me entertained through out the 104 mins running time. I just did not think it was very funny for something that is supposed to be a comedy. :)

7. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I haven't seen the dvd yet (as I'm waiting to see if there is any news of a ultra, all singing & dancing SE box set that-looks-like-the-guide kind of thing on the near horison) but I thoroughly enjoyed the fil in the cinema :thumbsup:

Mind you I'm a serious (to quote an oxymoron) fan of the series (be it radio, book, tv, or towel) and so have been waiting for this movie for over 10 years myself. I think this is where the main problem lies! For the die-hard fan there is an incredible/impossible level of expectation which would be impossible (if not improbable) to deliver on. Whereas for the casual sci-fi fan there is also the problem that by catering for the former, most of the great humour is is buried too deeply in to the movie to truly entertain them.

This is why I am so looking forward to the dvd. As a die-hard fan this dvd will demand many repeat viewings for me to get everything out of the film and I hope the director's commentary will be enlightening as to reveal all the hidden in-jokes contained in the film. (Such as - and I don't feel there are any spoilers coming - see if you can spot Douglas (DNA) Adam'sfamily having an al-fresco meal, or how many times you can see DNA's giant nose modelled into some strange situation, or the artwork on the front of the Heart of Gold space ship which (presumeably by freeze-frame and zoom control) reveals in comic form how the infinate improbability drive was invented using as characters the director and DNA himself! These are just some of the hidden treats which were revealed in the making-of book and I'm sure there are a whole lot more - at least another 42, im sure :D )

It's just a shame the the marketing guys didn't realise the missed opportunity they had with the packaging. (Even the new Total Recall SE or the Duel SE boxes look more like the guide than this white amaray case :( )

8. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    There is an edition with a sort of special packaging available at amazon which comes with the book some art cards and come in a box that sort of looks like the guide.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000ALVT9U.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Slightly better than just the normal dvd case - but they could still do better

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    its the dvd, a book (different size) and some polystyrene looks ok. but its nothing special really. i saw it at work last week. not worth it i dont think, unless you get it really cheap.

Gary

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,894
    I had that Gift Set pre-ordered originally but decided that it wasent worth the extra tenner just for a few postcards, a copy of a book I already have and a thin card box so went for the standard 2 Disc release.

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I was pleasantly surprised :thumbsup: Not bad at all, still not as good as the Radio Series/TV Series or books but certainly worth a watch. I think the film struggles because the makers have to pack so much into such a short space of time, I kept feeling that the plot was moving too fast for comfort but then I guess it has to. I definitely would not recommend the film to anyone who hasn't had exposure to the other forms of HHGTTG though, they would miss out on too many things.

S.

12. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I agree, I saw this on amazon and felt totally the same. Surely most of the people who are going to buy the gift set will already have the book. Nice to have some cards, but like I said earlier, a missed opportunity with the box design. It could have been sooo much better. Considering the 'guide' is central to the story, the dvd box should have been a major consideration for the overall marketing of the hitchiker's dvd campaign. Even the guide in the movie looks like a futuristic dvd case of sorts.

13. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Personally, I prefer the TV show (dated as it is) to the movie - I thought the movie tried to cram too much in as it seemed rushed and the song at the beginning was so awful, I was questioning if I should have seen something else at the local multiplex. The Humma Kavula bit seemed like an excuse to stop a certain special effect from increasing the budget - although I did like Bill Bailey as the Whale.

I guess the nicest thing I can say is it's mostly harmless :)

14. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Any news on the 4 sequels to the trilogy going into production?

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Seth - dont give up the day job ;)

Gary

16. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I watched it with fairly low expectations but I was still severely disappointed!
    It starts well with many funny lines lifted straight from the book/radio series.

Then from the bit with John Malkovich onwards, it becomes a confusing mess with new plotlines which are then left unresolved and a "kiddy film" attempt to make the Vogons look like a menacing baddie army which simply didn't work.

I also couldn't believe it ended like it did. Very much like they ran out of money and had to stop shooting.
    The final weak joke about the Restaurant at the end of the Universe proved that whoever wrote that hadn't even read the back of the cover synopsis of that book...

I find it hard to believe that DNA had a final say in this script, but if it encourages some more people to read the books and buy the radio plays at least it will have achieved something.