Thoughts on new gaming PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by pottsy123, Mar 11, 2013.

1. pottsy123

pottsy123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

Coming back to PC gaming after a 10 year break. Looking for a system good enough to run new games at high quality for next few years and opportunity to upgrade in future when required. I'm no where near good enough to build my own yet so looking at pre builds. Playing with about £700.00. Seen this one:-

Chillblast Fusion Blaze

Intel Core i5, 8GB, Geforce GTX 660, Peripherals, Windows 8
    Selected products:
    Chillblast Vantage Black Midi Mesh Gaming Case * *
    Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz * *
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler * *
    Generic thermal paste * *
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard * *
    8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks) * *
    Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics Card * *
    2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps * *
    LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
    Chillblast Basic 700W PSU * *
    Onboard High Definition Audio * *
    54Mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Adaptor (for Wireless networks) * *
    Standard Chillblast Cable Management * *
    Windows 8 64 bit * *
    Cherry J82-16001 Business K-1 Keyboard and M-5450 Power Wheel Mouse * *
    Bullguard Internet Security 12 - Free 3 Month Trial! * *
    Reconfigure

Clocks in at £730.

Any good or can I get better pre builds for money? Have to say looked at alienware X51 and that looks ok too.

Is there much of a difference with i5 or i7?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I went through the exact same thing as you a few months back.

For the most part i5 = i7 without hyperthreading (99% of games cannot utilise hyperthreading) so an i7 is not really needed.

I also looked at some pre built machines from Chillblast but honestly even a complete novice can put a PC together in a few hours. Even though I am somewhat experienced computer user I had not messed around with any custom PC stuff before yet I managed to tear apart a water cooled PC and built it into something completely new within 5 hours start to finish, most things only fit in one place and there are loads of guides on the web.

The specs you listed look OK but if buying the components yourself you will end up with something more powerful / quieter and for less + future upgrades will be easier if you built it yourself to begin with.

Take a look here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-g...best-builds-most-common-low-price-points.html

I'm sure the other guys here can help with updating you on anything missing in that thread.

3. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The X51 doesnt have as much power as the setup above but its quite a nice machine. I ordered one last week and after getting the run around from Dell cancelled after a day.. Seriously their customer service is shocking.

As for the spec you listed, I've just bought near enough the same spec parts (arriving today :D). I did some research and the setup seemed good enough to get back into the pc gaming fold. The only difference I has was the GPU as a fair few people said try the 7870 or if you can stretch the buget a gtx660 ti will give you a little more power.

.. wish id gone for the i5 3570k mind, I didnt get the k cpu as Im doing an itx build.

4. Alang75

Alang75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I just built my first pc a few weeks back and I was very surprised as to just how easy it really is, from start to finish it took about 3 hours with no issues booted up first time and has been running like a dream since. I would definitely recommend going down this route as you will save money and get better components. Have a look at this link there are many more guides out there but i found this one pretty good to start with.

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 -...

5. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    The chillblast looks like a good machine. My dad bought one and they were very helpful. Difficult to justify buying the bits and doing it yourself for the price they are selling it for.

6. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91

True that it isn't a bad price for a pre built but I wouldn't say it is difficult to justify doing it yourself, the money saved would allow for an ssd and the ability to avoid "chillblast basic PSU" and "generic paste" is win win. :thumbsup:

7. pottsy123

pottsy123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help! Got to say the more I think about it I like the idea of a self build! Will probably do down that route if I can get the right prices.

From reading though it looks like I'll have an issue with windows 8. Can get the pro upgrade disc for around £40 but it doesn't do a clean install so would need the OEM which is about £80. Am I right or confused lol

8. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,627
    I did a self build mate and I have to admit I enjoyed it...had lots of helps from mates admittedly but I know better now. I've only just finished it though so still lots to work out (especially WIN8!!).

The actual build bit is pretty straightforward tbh! So long as youcan use a screwdriver its a doddle, my issue was with cabling. I felt like a right fool not having a clue and having to take it to someone else to do. First guy didnt have a clue (think he was more used to standard dell home pc's than a custom built pc) so I took it into a shop. Felt like a right div as they were saying its a 5-10 min job and they'll sort it for me.

An hour and a half later I started to think this wasnt as simple as they thought as they are boasting about the custom built gaming pc's they've made with water cooling etc I started thinkikng then maybe I was right to bring it in to get sorted.

When they turned it on I was definite it was the right choice to bring it to them. Until smoke poured out of the side and cables fried. Now these are so called 'experts' in this shop.

I had to get case replaced and decided I would do it myself this time. Got it done at weekend, didnt take too long...couple of hours and nothings burning (touch wood!)

You can do it mate, build it yourself!