Thoughts on New 4k Media Player - The Tronsmart Vega S89

davidcrofter

Noticed this appearing in the last couple of weeks using a Cortex-A9 Quad Core Amlogic S802 CPU, Up to 2.0Ghz, Mali-450 GPU and Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS

now obviously it won't do true 4K as it is limited to HDMI 1.4 and can't decode H.265 but everything else looks quite nice and if you consider the price would it be a good bet to run up to 1080p XBMC better than just about any other Android XBMC box??

I have seen the Measy version of this box for just over £60 on the bay (imported from Far East):
B4A 4K Ultra HD media player--Measy Electronics - Measy Eletronics Co.,Ltd.

Anybody managed to try one of these out??

next010

Distinguished Member
There actually is a HEVC version though no-one has any hardware yet I think ?

The S802 is the one above, then there is S815 which adds 4K HEVC/H.265 decoding support and gigabit ethernet, then there is the S805 which also has HEVC but only to 1080p and features a slower quad core CPU/GPU.

The S802 is on par with the HTC One phone performance wise so it should be pretty good. The S8xx series also has true 1080p output unlikely the upscaling from the older Amlogic series.

Some people have gotten their hands on them, it's still pretty early but XBMC works on it apparently though how well is another matter. Keep in mind though XBMC v13 is the one you must use as that has Amlogic support at it's core.

davidcrofter

Well I managed to talk myself out of buying one of these in the end even though I spotted a few OEM clones of this model on Ebay for under £60 delivered within the UK.

Also worth noting that the MiniX NEO X8 with the same chipset has been launched and is up for pre-order:
futeko.com - MiniX NEO X8
futeko.com - MiniX NEO X8-H + MiniX NEO M1 Airmouse

Personally I am going to wait until the Rockchip RK3288 chipset is released as this offers HDMI2.0 and HEVC so it should be about as future proof as you are gonna get - I hate all these half-arsed efforts that are being released before their time simply to try and get to market first.

Boris Blank

I'm in the same boat. Pre-Ordered an X8-H but cancelled after thinking about it a bit.

Like you say, with hardware improvements such as HDMI2.0, HEVC and 24p just around the corner its daft buying anything less at the moment. NetFlixHD also seems to be on the near horizon with 3rd party ROM developers slowly getting closer to making it happen.

The new PIVOS range look very tempting (I like the TOFU stuff, very nice) but the slow release of their hardware will likely be too little too late - the basic forthcoming model would have been great a few months ago now its old tech at a premium price. Their mid and high-end models may be based on S802 and S812, if so I'd certainly consider the S812 version (I can forego USB 3.0 on an android box, even HDMI2.0 possibly). I think they've made a mistake releasing the low-end model, the mid and high versions are needed NOW to compete with the latest (and very decent) Chinese stuff thats flooding the market.

I do think we'll see a box with everything we need by the end of the year, possibly sooner whether its from PIVOS or otherwise (as you say, the RK3288 boards are pretty much there now), as long as it does the job.

A good place for more info on all the latest Chinese android boxes is this forum - Android TV Player Support

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Unless there is hardware support for HEVC you will be frustrated later on, best get one that can really do the job.

Boris Blank

The HEVC thing is a must. The reduction in file size of around 50% compared to H.264 is way too attractive for it not to catch on big time! At the moment, I think only RK3288 and Amlogic S812 CPUs offer HEVC in hardware.

For info, here's the specs of the Amlogic S8 series chips Amlogic - Leader in video, image and audio processing technology.
(Kaos Vauxhall linked it previously as well)
and the RK3288 Specs RK3288

Both very capable chips and Media Players for both are in the works. A BeeLink RK3288 box is only a couple months away at most with hardware about to be field-tested by some lucky chaps before release - Beelink R89 --RK3288 Cortex-A17 Mali-T7 4Kx2K RGMII HDMI2.0 supported by ODM&developers

That Beelink box is plug-ugly though, better with this one - Rikomagic MK802 Forums • View topic - NEW MK902II - SNEAK PREVIEW

Just an afterthought - these boxes look great but as always, we'll need to see how they perform before buying!

Last edited:

Boris Blank

Beelink RK3288 mainboard

Attachments

• a43n80.jpg
    a43n80.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 131

next010

Distinguished Member
My main problem with all these android boxes is they are going to get side-lined the moment Google releases the official Android TV.

Amazon's FireTV is pretty much a preview of whats coming and rumoured big names are working on boxes like HTC so it sounds like Google isn't limiting who can use it.

I hope someone at least does a box powered by an Amlogic or Rockchip SoC.

If Amazon was smart they would beat Google to it and license out FireTV to other vendors.

Boris Blank

Good point, I forgot about the Google TV box!

As long as it can stream stuff from an NAS (or can be hacked to do so) and has HEVC, XBMC etc could be quite interesting!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom