Thoughts on Monitor Audio Bronze FX 6G

Freedom85uk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering peoples thoughts on Monitor Audio Bronze FX 6G surround speakers.

I am looking to to add these as surrounds with a KEF Q650 Centre and Q350s as L/R. They will be wall mounted directly behind the sofa around 2ft above seated position. The sofa will only be around 5 inches from the back wall.

How do they sound? Will they pair well with this setup? Would Q150s be a better choice?

I liked the fact they are discreet, compact and have two tweeters either side and can provide a wider soundstage.

Thanks

Hi

I had the older 5g version Bronze FX's (and now the latest 6g Silver FX's), both mounted similar to how you intend. They are both fantastic speakers imo and give a very immersive experience. They have a switch on them to set them in either bi or dipole mode. It's definitely worth experimenting with the switch in both positions.

One thing to note. If you intend on implementing a Dolby Atmos configuration (either now or in future), I'd consider mounting the FX's a little lower. This will ensure adequate separation between the base layer FX's and Atmos speakers. In addition the FX's can be mounted on side walls if desired. There's more information on this in the manual (available on www.monitoraudio.com).

Hope this helps.

Hi Jester,

Thanks for the info.

I am not familiar with bi or dipole mode. I'll have a read.

Good to hear someone else is getting good results with a similar setup 👌

Hi Jester,

Thanks for the info.

I am not familiar with bi or dipole mode. I'll have a read.

Good to hear someone else is getting good results with a similar setup 👌
My kit/setup is in my signature. My Silver FX's are part of a 5.2.4 system. The base layer is all Monitor Audio speakers, although you'll have no issues using FX's as surrounds with your KEF's.

Am happy to give any further advice/setup if needed too 🙂

My kit/setup is in my signature. My Silver FX's are part of a 5.2.4 system. The base layer is all Monitor Audio speakers, although you'll have no issues using FX's as surrounds with your KEF's.

Am happy to give any further advice/setup if needed too 🙂
Thanks mate. I can't see your signature or profile unfortunately.

I have a similar set up with Silver FX’s as part of a 5.1 system.

The FX’s are mounted on the wall directly above the sofa.

My own feeling about the system in practice is that when panning effects go from front to rear, even without ceiling speakers, it sounds like the effects are all around you anyway, with plenty of a sense of height, so there seems little point in the cost of adding ceiling speakers which, could downgrade the FX’s ability by mounting them lower and therefore rather too near the listening position.

They do provide a wide soundstage and work very well in a 5.1 setting as they help fill the gaps where a 7.1 system would otherwise be and they are surprisingly hearty speakers with a very full midrange - much better than many typical satellite speakers with smaller drivers would be. Check the frequency range of the Bronzes vs the Silvers just to make sure

The only negative I would say is that they don’t have quite the same zing and awe factor as more directional speakers do, which I have used in previous houses. But for directional speakers to work well, I personally think you need to have a larger gap between them and the MLP anyway. And some people may not like rear speakers that so overtly draw attention to themselves.

But when the sofa is close to the rear wall, I think dipoles like this work very well indeed.

As for tonal balance, they have a sparkly and well judged but IMO not fatiguing treble and an excellent midrange considering that the large-ish drivers are contained in such slim boxes. I use mine with Dali Rubicons at the front and they work just fine together. Any differences in tonal balance never seem to manifest themselves.

I have a similar set up with Silver FX’s as part of a 5.1 system.

The FX’s are mounted on the wall directly above the sofa.

My own feeling about the system in practice is that when panning effects go from front to rear, even without ceiling speakers, it sounds like the effects are all around you anyway, with plenty of a sense of height, so there seems little point in the cost of adding ceiling speakers which, could downgrade the FX’s ability by mounting them lower and therefore rather too near the listening position.

They do provide a wide soundstage and work very well in a 5.1 setting as they help fill the gaps where a 7.1 system would otherwise be and they are surprisingly hearty speakers with a very full midrange - much better than many typical satellite speakers with smaller drivers would be. Check the frequency range of the Bronzes vs the Silvers just to make sure

The only negative I would say is that they don’t have quite the same zing and awe factor as more directional speakers do, which I have used in previous houses. But for directional speakers to work well, I personally think you need to have a larger gap between them and the MLP anyway. And some people may not like rear speakers that so overtly draw attention to themselves.

But when the sofa is close to the rear wall, I think dipoles like this work very well indeed.

As for tonal balance, they have a sparkly and well judged but IMO not fatiguing treble and an excellent midrange considering that the large-ish drivers are contained in such slim boxes. I use mine with Dali Rubicons at the front and they work just fine together. Any differences in tonal balance never seem to manifest themselves.
Hi Hoku,

Thanks man. They definitely seem like a great choice and not too much of a compromise on not being able to add ceiling speakers.

Do they come with wall brackets or did you purchase some additionally?

Cheers

Hi Hoku,

Thanks man. They definitely seem like a great choice and not too much of a compromise on not being able to add ceiling speakers.

Do they come with wall brackets or did you purchase some additionally?

Cheers
The speakers mount onto screws in the wall. They provide a template for it.

Silver FX | Surround Speakers | Monitor Audio

Check out the downloads tab, then Silver FX template.

The speakers mount onto screws in the wall. They provide a template for it.

Silver FX | Surround Speakers | Monitor Audio

Check out the downloads tab, then Silver FX template.

Sorry I’ve given you the link to the Silvers there not the Bronzes…

Bronze FX | Surround Speakers | Monitor Audio

I did note comparing the specs of Bronze FX vs Silver FX that the frequency response is very different. The Silvers go down to 60hz, compared to 74hz (in room) with the Bronzes, so it does seem that the Silvers are a fairly significant upgrade. In which case my comments about the midrange and their fullness may not be as applicable.

But the comments about treble, sound stage and steering effects may still be relevant.

Thanks.

Do you find the speakers bright??
That’s a difficult one as it’s so down to personal taste. My own feeling is that the treble is well judged: but I wouldn’t call it warm and I wouldn’t call it boring or slow either. For rear speakers I think they’re spot on.

But I do concede some people rap these tweeters for being harsh. Not my experience, and I think many comments may relate to much older iterations of these speakers (15 years ago) where such comments may have been justifiable.

That’s a difficult one as it’s so down to personal taste. My own feeling is that the treble is well judged: but I wouldn’t call it warm and I wouldn’t call it boring or slow either. For rear speakers I think they’re spot on.

But I do concede some people rap these tweeters for being harsh. Not my experience, and I think many comments may relate to much older iterations of these speakers (15 years ago) where such comments may have been justifiable.
Completely agree with these comments. I don't find my Silvers bright or fatiguing in any way. In fact the bass response from my 100's still surprises me!

Hi all,

Just wondering peoples thoughts on Monitor Audio Bronze FX 6G surround speakers.

I am looking to to add these as surrounds with a KEF Q650 Centre and Q350s as L/R. They will be wall mounted directly behind the sofa around 2ft above seated position. The sofa will only be around 5 inches from the back wall.

How do they sound? Will they pair well with this setup? Would Q150s be a better choice?

I liked the fact they are discreet, compact and have two tweeters either side and can provide a wider soundstage.

Thanks
Hi,

Personally speaking i would go with the Kef Q150's as it would match your other speakers and should offer the greatest tonal balance and synergy.

Hi,

Personally speaking i would go with the Kef Q150's as it would match your other speakers and should offer the greatest tonal balance and synergy.

The problem is then the speakers being too close to listeners as the couch is against rear wall. The effects would be too directional for most people.

FX is easy to mount flush against wall with few screws to about 2feet higher from seated ear height to get extra distance and to create more spaciousness. The bipole/dipole (switch for both) mode will create more dispersed soundfield which quite many people would pick over the more directional monopoles. FX speakers has been mixed with other brands since i came to AVF, they have been very popular. I remember forum advertiser doing that in demo room too.

Most people don´t have issue mixing different brand effect channels when they are close to similar quality and perform on same level to front (size). Usually issues start arise with these fist sized speakers which sound thin. Being low depth and full white finish available to blend in better while keeping Mrs. happy is bonus with FXs. I think OP is buying Marantz or Denon with XT32 so they will be level matched and eq`d full range if wanted.

If one can`t sleep with mixing brands then i see two options. Buy used Kef Eggs (HTS3001 / E301) and mount them higher up angle down/front or opt for Q150 use the full bungs in the ports making them sealed, turn the speaker laying on stand shooting ceiling and put the speakers with stands against rear/side wall. Then the effects will be less directional as they bounce through wall/ceiling to listener ears. This old trick has worked for many who battles with effect channels being too close to listeners. Will it pass Mrs though? :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom