Thoughts on importing projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Na-Noo, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Na-Noo

Na-Noo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

I've got the itch to upgrade my Hitatchi tx100 lcd 720p.
    I'm moving up to a 1080p lcd.
    Started thinking about the pany 2000, then the mits hc4900.
    But after coming across the sanyo (believe it was) thread, started to consider importing a pj. Possibly the Epson tw2000 because that can be had for reasonable price on import way out of me price bracket otherwise.
    Site mentioned in that thread was: http://www.hivizone.com/local-shop/projector.htm
    Any other places known?

So was just wondering what others experiances and thoughts both pros and cons regarding importing one or any other pj are. Or just stick with the hc4900, as I'm aware that all the new batch of 1080p's seem to be really good and relativly close in what is actually seen on screen. Esp when cost is factored in.
    How much is import duty on pj's and what sort of cost is the shipping?

Thanks,
    J,

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I imported my first projector, a Sony VPL-VW60, from Japan just over a month ago. The decision to import was finalised by the UK price which was more than double that of importing.

I used PriceJapan and the customs charge was about 87 pounds. There's technically no import duty, but you'll need to pay VAT and a handling charge (if you choose DHL as your courier, the handling charge seems to be much more reasonable than Royal Mail's).

There's a lot of fear surrounding imported electronics, but I've been doing it for years (must be about 6 now?) and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source (not saying that HiViZone is or isn't, I'm sure it is but haven't looked into it myself).

3. Na-Noo

Na-Noo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for site and your input Lyris,
    Site is a lot more informative compared to the one in original post and good prices too.
    My main concern with importing is if there's dead pixels or convergence issues with the pj, don't run those sort of risks with other goods.
    The price can be up to half of buying in the uk though as you said.
    If there was convergence issues etc, whould you have been able to get it sorted over here say within the 1st year.

Also the epson tw2000 is cheaper than the pany 2000 both on import and bought in uk. It seems they are both better than the hc4900 although the hc4900 is very close to them visualy and for me would be better bang for buck untill I start to consider importing.

J,

4. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I believe Epson have an international warranty, unlike most PJ manufacturers, although it may only be 1 year, so you should be able to get any issues sorted locally. I am sure HIVIZONE would advise you if you send them an e-mail. Many AV FORUMS members have bought from them and speak very highly of their good service and willingness to be helpful.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Another option would be B&H cameras. They have a shop in New York, and the dollar exchange is so good that their prices on the Z2000 are even lower than Hivizone.

6. Hugh

Hugh
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,192
    Emailed Epson on this very issue. This is what I got back from them.

7. Na-Noo

Na-Noo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for places where to import from guys, are those the most common places people here import from?

I guess the only real pro is cost, and the cons are cost of sending it back and warranty period.
    Think I will end up importing a pj not 100% sure which and where from yet though.
    Still a bit worried about convergence and dead pixels though, but paying less for "arguably" better and if not better at least same quality projecter is hard for me to resit.

Any other views, suggestions, help, input, places to buy from?

Hugh:
    On PriceJapan site it says tw2000 does not have same warrenty as other epsons, so is only a year return back to them?
    Intresting you got a different response from epson

J,

8. Hugh

Hugh
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,192
    That's why I went straight to Epson. PJ's information changed a couple of times over a week while I was looking, so I thought I'd go right to the horses mouth. :smashin:

9. Na-Noo

Na-Noo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Hugh,

Did you end up buying one in the end?

Anyone have to get an imported one sorted?
    Any preference if cost is about the same between usa & japan?

I'm trying to hold off for some comparisons between the epson, pany 2000 and hitatchi hc49000/6000 but none about really, loads of talk about the last 2. B&H dont have the hitatichi's and japans one's not english menus I believe. So I'm leaning to the tw2000. But doesn't help with epsons pricing being so widely out of step here either, I'm guessing people probably can't justify such a premium, so therefore fewer (no) comparisons. I think in the end, any off them would probably do me just fine and be a massive step up, so the extra epson international warrenty is a bonus.
    Dont see me being able to hold of buying something.....

10. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I would eliminate the Mitsubishi HC4900 from your list, unless you are on a tight budget. The black levels are not up to scratch compared to the others on your list.

11. Lurks

Lurks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I looked at importing. The problem is some of them are 120VAC units. Some are 120-240. Some have an International warranty but most don't. Worse still others have Japanese menus.

In the end it was cheap enough that it was the same as buying a cheaper HC4900 in the UK versus the (normally) more expensive Panasonic AE2000 from Japan. The thing is the Panny had 120V PSU and no International warranty. It'd have to be sent back to Japan for a service.

Stuff that, so I bought the HC4900. And sure enough I needed to get it serviced shortly after. Fortunately UK support from Mitsubishi seems great.

So I feel a bit vindicated. I would have liked a more expensive projector but the HC4900 is a very nice step up from what I had anyway.

12. dmm1000

dmm1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When importing ..... Dont forget customs may demand that duty be paid on a projector if they notice it coming through the borders :thumbsdow

13. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Then the courier demands 'collection fees' on top of that.

My worst case was a £50 item from Hong Kong that had £50 for duty and fees on it (75% of that was fees) - then an automatic £30 charge because I phoned up query the fee (That was UPS. They don't *tell* you of the charge beforehand, they just add it to the bill).. Avoid UPS like the plague.

Personally I stick to Royal Mail (well their partner overseas eg. USPS when shipping from the US) since they don't agressively check everything for duty payments so you're unlikely to be charged, and if they do their handling fee is only £8.

14. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I think I can beat that once had around £26-28 of dvds, the duty threshold is was around that same value at the time and I got chared 68p duty and vat for which d** (you fill in the name) cahrged an admin and handling charge of £27.99. Yes that's a charge of 27.99 for 68p of duty.

I am actually giving some serious thought to importing a PC monitor from Japan at the moment but I don't really like that all these import outfits like Price Japan, etc only take payment via an intermediary like paypla or money brokers which means you loose the payment protection you normally have paying with a credit card. If could pay by credit card I would have ordered already, then if anything goes wrong just get the money back via the credit card company.

Anyone know an import outfit that accepts credit cards?

I know some offer escrow which is almost as good but as the monitor I want is a 'special order item' none so far will offfer the escrow option, even if they do it comes at a price and while it is cheaper it's not a vast amount less if I get done for duty and vat as I would expect.

Just found that Dynamism take credit cards.

15. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    your credit card is still protected if you use it through paypal.

16. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    VERY VERY IMPORTANT, your credit card DOES NOT have the same protection when used with paypal to pay a third party.

Under the law the transaction covered by your credit card company is that between you and PAYPAL and that only. I.e. if paypal took money from you and failed to pass it on to the third party your covered and can get the money bck from your credit card issuer, if however paypal take the money pass it to the third party and the third party doesn't supply the goods for example you have NO payment protection via the credit company whatsoever.

The one exception currently is paypal voluntarily offers payment protection up to £500 on certain purchases through ebay.

17. technomong

technomong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was looking for info o the HC 4900 last night and went on AVS forums. Mitsubishi are giving a rebate on that pj in the US, and the net price after rebate is as low as 1379 dollars!

they were all talking about the Epson 1080UB - anyone know the EU equivalent? Me dealer has no such model listed

18. sahara_desert

sahara_desert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  19. technomong

technomong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks

the price differences are huge, it's bloody annoying

20. sahara_desert

sahara_desert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  21. Event Horizon

Event Horizon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
  22. Sunshinewelly

Sunshinewelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    dont forget that if you buy a LCD projector then the duty is a big zero only VAT has to be paid. (LCD projectors are exempt from duty).

also if anything goes wrong ie it breaks etc then provided you have bought it on a credit card then thanks to a change in the law you are able to get full satisfaction from your credit card company.

23. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Are you sure about that, i thought credit cards only offer such support when the thing is bought in the EU/europe, otherwise you don't have any such powers. I.e. buy something in america with a credit card and you have problems the credit card company will just tell you to bugger off.

24. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just received this quote from one of the dealers listed.

Thanks for the email Zag. The price on the HC4900 is $1899, and the Z2000 is $2295. Shipping to England will run about $175 for either unit. Keep in mind, the warranties are not valid in England.

The Z2000 looks like quite a good deal, if you're willing to take a bit of a risk.

25. sahara_desert

sahara_desert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  26. Hugh

Hugh
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,192
  27. sahara_desert

sahara_desert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Euro transfer 0£ at your local bank or over internet....
    just that you wanna trust the company....
    and yepp it's a legit&certified company,located in central wienna,Austria.
    just a bit facinated over the fact that they are selling this beuty for some 1040£ cheaper than Briton!