thoughts on good tft for photo editing work

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by darkeeboy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. darkeeboy

darkeeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Dont know if this thread is best started here, but Im in the market to get a tft to add to my laptop setup. Its going to be used primarily for photo editing, so would like peoples thoughts and recommendations on the right one. Ive seen a tasty Dell 19" 1440*900 unit for £125 which fits the budget and size nicely, anyone using this?

2. jamesbryan17

jamesbryan17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Well, first you want a decent size monitor say 19" and look for a well known brand for the quality. But saying that there are some out there on the market that are not well known and can be very good. I would say go to a shop a have a look at the quality they produce, then decide.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    We use Dells ( Only God knows who makes them for Dell..:rolleyes:) at work but at home Ive got a 17" Sony ,19" Samsung and 15" AOC all of which are easy on the eye

I used to have similarly capable Iiyama and AOC. I find they need to be even better for video editing and none of the ones Ive used has been a dissapointment

I guess the advice would be to stick to reputable brands or at least see for yourself what you are getting if the name is a bit less familiar

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I have an ongoing quest for the perfect LCD monitor for our office.

Started off with some rather nice Sharp units, but they changed the coating and it was very distracting. Tried some Samsung panels, but wasn't too impressed. We have a lot of the NEC Multisync1990 SXi and predecessors, and they're lovely (but £390). Lastest panel is the GORGEOUS NEC Multisync 20WGX2 20" widescreen with opticlear coating. I have the same panel at home and office. The downside is the price (£320 inc VAT). It has a highly reflective screen, but a black level like you wouldn't believe. The panel has to be very carefully calibrated to avoid banding in graduated coloured areas, but once I sorted that, I'd say it's as good for photo work as my old Iiyama VM Pro CRT monitors.

5. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    If your budget will run to it, it's worth getting a Spyder or Huey (or similar) to keep your monitor properly calibrated. It's hard to do it properly without such a device because the eye adjusts too readily to a colour cast.

6. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    dell are normally good especially the ultrasharp models. samsung have also released some nice flat panels recently. 2ms refresh rate :eek: and colours are very nice on it.

you'll find that alot of the tft panels are made in the same factory by the same people and then they're just rebadged by firms and put in different style housings. bit like your flat screen tv where alot of tv's have lcd panels made by LG-Philips. so you're best going into somewhere and looking at the monitor 1st

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I can't remember, but its best to go for a specific type - LCDs come in different types optimsed for speed, colour accuracy etc.

I bought a philips 20" widescreen specifically because it was a good type for photo editing. If I was gaming I'd possibly have bought a different one.

Probably be selling it soon as I now have my imac.

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The best for photo use are S-IPS , follows by PVA/MVA, with TN being the worst.

S-IPS/AS-IPS panels are 8 bit colour, whereas most TN panels are 6bit, so aren't quite as good at colour rendition.

9. darkeeboy

darkeeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    javascript:winopen('/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=100801&~lt=popup','popup575x505','WIDTH=575,HEIGHT=500,RESIZABLE=YES,SCROLLBARS=YES,TOOLBAR=NO,LEFT=0,TOP=20');I am very interested in this one, but have no way of seeing it in the flesh. Will pop down pc world to see what stuff they have there. Cheers for all the advice so far!