1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on GFX card and DX9

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Stellavision, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I am presently running a GeForce 4 Ti-4600 128 MB.
    When I first bought this card a few months ago I thought it was the dogs. Now however, we see a new generation of cards incorporating DirectX 9.
    We all know it's pretty silly to try and constantly keep up with computer technology but I can't help feeling like I may be missing something from the new graphics performers. I have quite a good card but what would i stand to gain by investing in a DX9 compatible card?
    Or should I wait? I can run all the latest games and I feel like as soon as I bought a new card that will become dated within months!!
    I presently have my eye on the ATI 9800 SE with a view to soft modding it.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're able to play the games you want to play, why bother upgrading? When your card struggles with a game, then look for something better.

Biggest advantage of the newer cards (Radeons) is their ability with AA & AF - little frame rate hit & high resolutions.

I'd recommend a 9800 non-pro (Samsung chips). Flashed 4 to 9800 pro BIOS & all clock to 470/770 - awesome cards.

BTW, wish I practiced what I preach - always have to have the latest (read: most expensive) hardware :D