Thoughts on (Epson) laser/lamp projectors trend

CalabiYau

Hello.

I am considering to upgrade my Pj in the next 10-15 months. Right now, the sweet spot for me is the TW9400 (158” screen so I need more lumens than a W5700 could deliver) and price is in my budget (max 2500 eur). I also consider the cheaper brother TW7100 (as my room is not fully treated).

But I have just discovered that apparently the next generation is here. LS12000 (5000eur!) and there won’t be a lamp successor (i.e no tw9500 ever) as lamps seems to be doomed for ecological regulations.

Is this a definite trend? Will the tw7100 successor be a laser projector with the associated price bump?

Does this mean that entry level projectors will dramatically increase their price?

Should I buy a tw9400 one while I can despite being a 2018 product? I’d hate to see a tw9500 release anyway but it seems quite unlikely… Or not?

Do you think that laser projectors price will go down to lamp projectors levels eventually? When? The logical step is that in some years the laser PJ cost much less than now, but it will be hard to wait 3-4 years hehe…

I’d like to know what are your thoughts on the laser/lamp/price trend…

Right now I am confused as waiting for a new one could be a bad choice this time… Usually waiting for next generation in electronic devices is a good idea… Not sure this time. I don’t question that laser can be much better than lamp. It is simply too expensive for my usage (around 300h a year in a non dedicated room semi treated room).

Thanks!

Harold88

Should I buy a tw9400 one while I can despite being a 2018 product? I’d hate to see a tw9500 release anyway but it seems quite unlikely… Or not?

Do you think Epson will afford to release a lamp based TW9500 that is better than current lasers?

I would be very happy to see such thing but I don't think they will do that.

CalabiYau

Do you think Epson will afford to release a lamp based TW9500 that is better than current lasers?

I would be very happy to see such thing but I don't think they will do that.

Well, it would be strange, yes.

I guess what they can do is to extend TW9400 product life to cover the under 3000eur budget so that LS12000 and the old 9400 can coexist for a while...

Otherwise if Epson removes the TW9400 and the new 7100 is replaced by a similar device (laser) then the entry level will be much more expensive than ever...

We'll see...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hello.

I am considering to upgrade my Pj in the next 10-15 months. Right now, the sweet spot for me is the TW9400 (158” screen so I need more lumens than a W5700 could deliver) and price is in my budget (max 2500 eur). I also consider the cheaper brother TW7100 (as my room is not fully treated).

But I have just discovered that apparently the next generation is here. LS12000 (5000eur!) and there won’t be a lamp successor (i.e no tw9500 ever) as lamps seems to be doomed for ecological regulations.

Is this a definite trend? Will the tw7100 successor be a laser projector with the associated price bump?

Does this mean that entry level projectors will dramatically increase their price?

Do you think that laser projectors price will go down to lamp projectors levels eventually? When? The logical step is that in some years the laser PJ cost much less than now, but it will be hard to wait 3-4 years hehe…

I’d like to know what are your thoughts on the laser/lamp/price trend…

Right now I am confused as waiting for a new one could be a bad choice this time… Usually waiting for next generation in electronic devices is a good idea… Not sure this time. I don’t question that laser can be much better than lamp. It is simply too expensive for my usage (around 300h a year in a non dedicated room semi treated room).

Thanks!

Don't see it happening in the near future. They just have no reason to do this. A 9500 would cannibalise their LS11000 and LS12000.

Lasers are too expensive so they need place holder models to dominate the £1k-£2k range.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom