1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on DVD recorders please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Greg Hook, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi

I will be looking around in the next few months for a replacement to my aging Toshiba SD3109.

I am very interested in the DVD recorders. They seem to have loads of great features etc. Being able to record on the DVD whilst playing something on it at the same time sounds great.

Does anyone have a DVD recorder and what are their thoughts on them?

I have not decided on any make yet so a few pointers would be helpful.

The main question I have with them is what is the quality of the DVD playback from a standard pre-recorded film on these DVD recorders? What level of DVD player is it comparable with? (i.e what price)

Thanks
    Greg

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi GregHook. In case you don't already know here are a couple of links to forums that will inform you about all of the avaialable formats.

http://www.dv-info.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

Now for my biased oppinion. I have owned the Panasonic E20 for several months now and can confirm it is an amazing machine. It's recordings are effectively the same as the original broadcast and of course as you mention it can play back while you are still recording the same program or another.

DVD recorders are in effect good quality players also so there is no problem there with regard to the quality you will get from pre-recorded videos. Same goes for the playback of CDs, CD-Rs etc.

Since having mine I have been busy preserving my collection of VHS recordings over to DVD-R disc which will play in vertually anything once finalized. The quality of the video transfer is just great. No further quality loss will be seen....Quite the opposite.

The RAM discs of course won't play in normal DVD players. The editing on the RAM discs is quick and easy. Take out the adverts. Chop off the end of a program or the beginning or the middle. Do what you will and it can all be played back seamlessly without any visible edit points as other formats tend to have.

I told you I was biased. Good luck. Malcom.
    :D :D

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Malcom

What they like for 'quick recordings'

e.g. Something comes on the TV that you MUST record right away.
    With a VCR, pop in a tape, select the channel, press record and away you go, done in seconds.

Is it as quick with DVDs? or does it need to read data, available space etc before it can start recording?

Just curious.

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    it's great for quick recordings, no more longer than sticking a tape in choosing channel and pressing record.

Exactly the same principle in use as a video recorder.

It also has OTR One touch Record button where you can set record time in intervals of 30mins rather than using the timer function.

I have also had unconfirmed reports that the quality of recording is meant to be better than the E30 that has just replaced it. Which is surprising to say the least as the newer machine is meant to have RGB throughput.

When I have done 1st gen copies/backups through S-Video on the E20 the loss in quality is indistinguishable, for it to record "off air quality" is a doodle for this machine.

With this machine you will never look back, I can guarantee you.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    @greghook

As far as playback quality dvd deck the E20 ranks as a mid-range player. Best to compare it to £250-400 decks as it does ityself justice within that area. Comparing it to a Toshiba is more difficult as they make some extremely capable machines even down at the very budget end.

I also have the Sony NS900 which in all honesty is better but then you are looking at nearer a £500 rated machine.

The only thing with the E20 is modding it to MR has not been widely available as yet though I hear a few places have started doing it.

The E20 also has DV in, which is a blessing for digi-cam work. Before I was using PC software to edit and finalise footage and believe me that can takes ages to finalise and use up incredible amounts of memory. Ok if you want a PERFECTLY edited film then a PC offers far more options but if you just want a quick edited film ie home movies for me most of the time then this machine is fine. On the E20 DV footage takes 7mins to finalise on DVD-R.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Great

That gives me something to think about.

Thanks all for the replies.

Greg

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you stuck on getting a DVD recorder? The features you want are also available on TiVo and is much cheaper, easier to use and significantly better than a VCR.... all you change with DVD recorders is the media, it's still basically a VCR.

Tivo will record from any source and you can archive off recordings via SCART. I used to record and keep films but now I buy the DVDs instead!

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    With TiVo do you not have to pay a subscrption?

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm starting to get tempted about purchasing a DVD Recorder :) :(
    after reading through a few posts on http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

and downloading and reading through the manual for the Philips DVDR880

Still got a few niggles though before justifying a purchase....

None seem to have a built in DTTV tuner, just your usual analog tuner, which seems a little odd. I would of thought DTTV and DVD RW would go hand in hand.

I notice that the new Philips 880 lacks a firewire socket, unlike its predeccesor 895(?).
    I'm worried that if I wait for future gens then more and more features will be removed to bring the cost down, much like with SVHS VCRs.

Heard a lot of problems from the above mentioned forum about disk errors and stability problems when recording from old VHS tapes.

Not to mention connecting the thing up to my current 'overloaded' system, but that's another story.

I'll wait a while longer....

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you should buy the Panasonic, not the Philips!

DaveP

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    AS I am new to DVR writers I will not say too much BUT

How about the Pioneer DVR-7000.

The one advantage I can see is that you can play the recordings on other DVD players

12. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TiVo's can be had for £160 now, lifetime subscription is £200 so you have a box infinitely beter than a VCR for under £400.

I should add that the basic TiVo can store about 20 hours but it's relatively easy to expand it from 40Gb to over 100Gb by adding another disk.

Once you try it, you'll wonder why you ever used a VCR!

13. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nigel,

how do you like the Arcam DVD player?

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Tivo seems like a great machine and is good value at the prices it goes for. The only thing with a HD only option is you will have to write over your recordings eventually. Archiving is where it becomes limited in its scope. Also you can't take a recording over to someone elses to watch like you can with a DVD-R.

DVR-7000 is meant to be good machine but for all it's features I cannot see why it commands such a premium price over the Panasonic and Philips machines. And it's feature count is still not as flexible as the Panasonic overall. DVD-R's once finalised can be played on most machines, I have not had any compatibility problems on any player yet with my recordings ?

As with S-VHS videos, the newer model Digi-Recorders will tumble in price but my bet is so will quality of build and machine features on some models. You only have to compare the E30 and the E20. Trust me in comparison the E20 is bombproof and built like a tank. For Philips to exclude Firewire DV on their machines is simply a case of false economy. I mean what is the point of offering digital recording if you have to convert through analog to record legit stuff ?

Anyway one things for sure, video tape is dead, no going back now.