Thoughts on acoustically transparent screen.

JamesP1701

Hi everyone,

I wonder what your views on acoustically transparent screens are? I currently use a sapphire pull down screen which goes in front of my tv, but the attraction of an acoustic one is that I could go a fair bit bigger. At the same time however, I don’t want to sacrifice on image quality.

I’m using an Epson 9400.

What would your thoughts be?

With thanks.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
AT screens are the way to go if you can get one with a barely visible weave.

I was like you initially, I didn’t want to sacrifice image quality, but after viewing a seymour UF screen, I realised the downside in image quality was made up with a bigger screen, speakers hidden and most importantly, speakers in the correct place.

I’m now using a dreamscreen v7 screen, you can’t even tell it’s an AT screen, even when say 1m away.

If you can find a decent AT pull down screen where the weave is barely visible, this would definitely be my recommendation, however, pull down AT screens are in short supply……

Good luck 👍🏻

Harkon321

Just to echo the above. An AT screen is far more immersive but the weave is an issue. I've got a Spitfire screen at the moment and the moire is a real issue, due to visible weave. I'm aiming to replace with UF screen material in the near future. Would love Dream Screen V7, which from all reports is better still, but it's ALOT more expensive.

Superhans

I’ve only had an AT screen so mercifully know no better. I went with a Seymour Center Stage XD which is good for viewing around 10ft but doesn’t seem to affect either image or sound quality.

Im about to sell my old 120” XD in the next few weeks if you want to keep an eye on the classifieds.

Alaric

Just to echo the above. An AT screen is far more immersive but the weave is an issue. I've got a Spitfire screen at the moment and the moire is a real issue, due to visible weave. I'm aiming to replace with UF screen material in the near future. Would love Dream Screen V7, which from all reports is better still, but it's ALOT more expensive.

Interesting. I've a Spitfire and never found the weave an issue. I had an older DIY one before (using some special fabric, from AVS forums, years back) and to be honest found very little difference from my home made one, though the frame was much better in terms of flatness and the screen was stretched nicely. I REALLY like the frame - I guess it would be possible to replace the fabric and cut down cost if replacing ???

Only issue i did have is that my DIY one was backed with black speaker cloth, the new one wasn't and i got light bounce back off the wall.....I really noticed it in credits as there's an angle on the wall behind. Covered the back wall in velvet and that solved the issue. - If they let sound through, then they invariably will let light through too!

LOVE AT screens. The centre speaker in the middle of the screen really helps to lock dialogue to the image and is the reason that cinemas have AT screens!

I've a full screen wall, using speaker fabric draped above and below the screen and some black lace type material either side. It's a strange floating set-up on high tensile steel wires in my current place which was reasonably easy to do. My older cinema i built wood frames which took way longer. Had a flat smooth look but really i prefer the results from the later set-up, particularly in terms of image quality.

Some images and stuff

Harkon321

I wonder what res your viewing in. I got moire with the spitfire screen, as you quoted, when viewing 1080 content. I’ve now bought a 4K updating projector and the moire has now disappeared.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
AT screens have come a long way in recent years.
I too had a Spitfire screen when I started working in home cinema and also found various weaves in lighting conditions to be a real pain. The client never fussed but I did.

We then started using Screen Excellence and Screen Line screens and my issues went away.
The Enlighter Neo for example is one of the nicest surfaces I've seen.

As others have said - your LCR's behind the screen just add so much more immersion and "focus lock" compared to other systems out there.

Alaric

I wonder what res your viewing in. I got moire with the spitfire screen, as you quoted, when viewing 1080 content. I’ve now bought a 4K updating projector and the moire has now disappeared.

I used an older 1080 Mitsubishi hc5 prior to my Epson. I run both 1080 and 4K on the epson, but have the 4K enhancement on anyway, so that may make a difference.

My set-up is :
Screen 120", Seating 12' (3.65) from the screen, Projector ceiling mounted 14' (4.25m) from the screen

I'm guessing that there are various factors in play, maybe with PJ type as both mine are LCD based, factors in distance and maybe a factor in how sensitive you are the effect?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Has anyone used elitescreens acoustic material? It looks like you can buy the material and put it into an existing frame. It’s pretty cheap, £275 for 150 inch.

JamesP1701

AT screens have come a long way in recent years.
I too had a Spitfire screen when I started working in home cinema and also found various weaves in lighting conditions to be a real pain. The client never fussed but I did.

We then started using Screen Excellence and Screen Line screens and my issues went away.
The Enlighter Neo for example is one of the nicest surfaces I've seen.

As others have said - your LCR's behind the screen just add so much more immersion and "focus lock" compared to other systems out there.
That's really helpful thanks. Is there a 106" pull down screen you could recommend?

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Electric or manual? In ceiling drop down or surface fixed?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom